Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
ZL1Bullet

Drives: ZL1
TPMS Manual Reset Procedure???

Has anyone actually tried to do the manual reset procedure for the TPMS on a ZL1?

ZL1Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It has to be done using a special magic black 're-learning' box either by the dealer or you can buy it yourself for around $80-90 IIRC.

It only takes a few min to do it, and the dealer (at least mine) does it for free any time I need it.

You used to be able to do it yourself on the earlier Camaro's, but not anymore.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
My dealer does it for free also and he doesn't give anything away. No need to buy the box or take the time to learn how and actually do it yourself.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
ZL1Bullet

OK thanks guys. I'm going to be switching my wheels back and forth a lot. My dealer is almost 2 hours away. The local dealer has no incentive to do it for me for free so I'm thinking I'm stuck buying the super magic decoder ring. LOL The local dealer has 3 in stock at $95. It would either cost me in gas or cost me at the local dealer... in the long run I'll be saving.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Bullet View Post
OK thanks guys. I'm going to be switching my wheels back and forth a lot. My dealer is almost 2 hours away. The local dealer has no incentive to do it for me for free so I'm thinking I'm stuck buying the super magic decoder ring. LOL The local dealer has 3 in stock at $95. It would either cost me in gas or cost me at the local dealer... in the long run I'll be saving.
This is the exact tool the dealer will sell you. I confirmed this when I bought mine from the dealer.

On this site it's $68.57 + shipping
https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.co...s.aspx?id=5677
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Bullet View Post
Makes perfect sense when you explain it. The tool is $59.99 here. Have fun with it.
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
So, no way to do it like the other cars? That is ridiculous. I might have to swap out TPMS's then. I will just use the ones from my SS wheels.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
So, no way to do it like the other cars? That is ridiculous. I might have to swap out TPMS's then. I will just use the ones from my SS wheels.
The difference isn't in the sensors in the tires, it's in the electronics in the car, probably in the BCU.

Even if you take a set of wheels/tires off of your SS, the TPMS relearning will still require the new tool. Been there, done that.

It's no big deal. Stop by the dealer, they can do it while you wait for free. Only takes about 5 min start to finish.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
The difference isn't in the sensors in the tires, it's in the electronics in the car, probably in the BCU.

Even if you take a set of wheels/tires off of your SS, the TPMS relearning will still require the new tool. Been there, done that.

It's no big deal. Stop by the dealer, they can do it while you wait for free. Only takes about 5 min start to finish.
My car is a 2010, so I will probably have to do the learn now that the tires are on, but will most likely swap the sensors out next tire swap. Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
My car is a 2010, so I will probably have to do the learn now that the tires are on, but will most likely swap the sensors out next tire swap. Thanks
Just to be clear, on a ZL1, you need the special 'tool'. I don't remember for sure, but I seem to remember my 2011 needed the 'tool' as well, while with my 08 Malibu, you can do it yourself.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Rod Knock

Drives: 2003 Dodge Viper/2011 IOM SS vert
Discount Tire or any of the chain tire stores have the "tool" if you are using them to switch the tires or if you are a regular customer. If you will be switching them yourself like putting track wheels/tires on regularly, the $60 is worth it just to save the hasle of making the trip each time - even if it is local. - JMO
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
When I purchased my Gorilla lug nuts they were installed at America/s Tire/Discount tire stores for free. I watched the service writer do the car ahead of me. It took him less than 5 minutes to do it. All he did was simply walk around the car with the tool pointed at each of the sensors. Got into the car at the end of the parking lot and drove the car back up to the customer and she left.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
When I purchased my Gorilla lug nuts they were installed at America/s Tire/Discount tire stores for free. I watched the service writer do the car ahead of me. It took him less than 5 minutes to do it. All he did was simply walk around the car with the tool pointed at each of the sensors. Got into the car at the end of the parking lot and drove the car back up to the customer and she left.
That's all it takes. You begin the learning process using the DIC, then you hold the tool next to the left front wheel, wait for it to beep, go to the next wheel, wait for it to beep, next wheel wait for the beep, last wheel, wait for a double beep and you're done.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
ZL1Bullet

Quick note: Tool did the job painlessly and in under 2 minutes. I put the car back on the road yesterday. Temp was as low as -2C and went up to 5C. The Pirelli P Zeros from the SS (bought brand new as scratch and dent at dealership) work very well in these temps. I tried to make them slip - and while I could, there was way more grip than slip. Very easy to drive on with no surprises.