Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
cruz_LS3

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Muffler not in working order ticket

So I got pulled over the other night because i gave it a little gas in 1st taking off a straight away but i made sure i did not break the speed limit, but a cop heard and saw me and followed me for a bit almost to my house and he pulled me over, an older gentlemen. Thought at first he was admiring my exhaust and proceeded to ask me if i had mufflers and i replied I had a catback exhaust with high flow cats, so no mufflers. We chit chat a little bit and im thinking his just gonna let me go. he goes back to his vehicle and writes me up a Muffler not in working order ticket.... what do? he said i could go to court and show pictures that i have fixed it...? receipts that i fixed it? im obviously not going back to stock because that would be a big pain in the ass and just no not doing it.

Any advice from anyone previous experiences with this ticket?

I have a 2011 SS LS3 with CAI intake, Magnaflow comp catback, and SOLO hf cats.

Thank you for reading.
cruz_LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Pay the ticket or buy some aftermarket mufflers.

When I purchased my catback I wanted mufflers, then again most come with anyway.

My dad had a 67 and would always get pulled over. They couldn't do anything because everything was there and working. Also was no noise ordinances where he was.

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Huh? What do you mean you have no mufflers? Unless you're not telling us that you cut the mufflers out of your Magnaflow system, why in the hell did you tell the cop you didn't have mufflers?
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Dwarfey

Drives: 2011 1LT A/T Black w/ Red Stripes
It's a fix it ticket.

If your muffler is indeed working order, you have to prove it to the police. Which means, proving it can pass smog, and proving it meets sound level requirements per city ordinance, or county law.

If it fails in one of these aspects, you have to turn it back to stock, pass the smog and make it "in working order" then revert it back to which it was.

Yea, I got this one too. Accidentally clicked the shifter into "M", and it went to 6000 RPM before shifting, needless to say the cop was being a douche. What I did was get your sheriff friend to sign off on it, pay the $25 fee and call it a day.

Most of the time, there are wanting to pull you over for other things, but this just gives them an excuse to get you on the side of the road.
-MRT v2.0 Exhaust -Painted Red Racing Stripes -Volant Cold Air Intake -Painted Red Interior Accents -Anzo Projector Headlights w/ Oracle White/Red Halos -Black Bowties -Rockford Fosgate 10" Sub w/ 1000W Kenwood Amp
-ZL1 Spoiler - Gloss Black Powder-coated 20" SS Wheels
Dwarfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
MLAZ1990

Drives: 2012 black camaro 2LS
Damn OP that sucks!! I got pulled over for giving it a little gas with muffler delete but he gave me a warning!
SLP Loud Mouth 1 Exhaust, K&N CAI, RS Headlights, NightOwl V2 halo kit, ZL1 Grille, Custom 2LS Emblems, Green Footwells, GM GFX splitter, Ace Alloy Convex All Matte Black Wheels(20x9 & 20x10.5) wrapped in Toyo Proxe STII(255/45/20 & 295/40/20)
MLAZ1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
The Magnaflow comp series cat-back does have a center muffler/resonated X pipe. I am pretty certain it is legal. Take them the pic below and tell them that it indeed does have a muffler and it is in perfect working order.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz_LS3 View Post
So I got pulled over the other night because i gave it a little gas in 1st taking off a straight away but i made sure i did not break the speed limit, but a cop heard and saw me and followed me for a bit almost to my house and he pulled me over, an older gentlemen. Thought at first he was admiring my exhaust and proceeded to ask me if i had mufflers and i replied I had a catback exhaust with high flow cats, so no mufflers. We chit chat a little bit and im thinking his just gonna let me go. he goes back to his vehicle and writes me up a Muffler not in working order ticket.... what do? he said i could go to court and show pictures that i have fixed it...? receipts that i fixed it? im obviously not going back to stock because that would be a big pain in the ass and just no not doing it.

Any advice from anyone previous experiences with this ticket?

I have a 2011 SS LS3 with CAI intake, Magnaflow comp catback, and SOLO hf cats.

Thank you for reading.
If they will squash the ticket ,fix it and avoid the cost of the ticket . If not you will probably get another in the future. If you got the ticket in Glendale AZ ,then just pay it and move on .The cops in Glendale AZ are not like most nice normal LEO's ,they are real pricks . This is exactly why I will be running with factory muff's. If you don't want tickets ,keep a low profile . Quiet and stealth is the way to go .
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
TOYMARO

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS 2SS
TOYMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
Rob3D

Drives: Car
"Sorry officer, I have no idea what you're talking about"

Attachment 622474

Last edited by Rob3D; 03-25-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
cruz_LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
The Magnaflow comp series cat-back does have a center muffler/resonated X pipe. I am pretty certain it is legal. Take them the pic below and tell them that it indeed does have a muffler and it is in perfect working order.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Yeah this is what i got, and i told him i had a muffler/resonator and he gave me a smug face and chuckle and said "well its not working.." and i had enough by then and just signed the dumb ticket and left. Im just gonna take a pic of my phone of it installed and print it out
Old 04-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #11
cruz_LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post

[ATTACH]622474[/ATACH]

thats crazy
Old 04-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
Same here

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
cruz_LS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
If they will squash the ticket ,fix it and avoid the cost of the ticket . If not you will probably get another in the future. If you got the ticket in Glendale AZ ,then just pay it and move on .The cops in Glendale AZ are not like most nice normal LEO's ,they are real pricks . This is exactly why I will be running with factory muff's. If you don't want tickets ,keep a low profile . Quiet and stealth is the way to go .

Im hoping it works out I may go to my muffler shop and ask for a bogus receipt saying i fixed something... Yeah Glendale pd didnt get me, it was phx pd, and from my past experiences phx pd are real pricks. never had problems with glendale pd.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #14
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Go find a used one on a lot somewhere and take some pics of the underside (or back) of the car, showing the mufflers in place. Present them as your own. Not ethical, but perhaps practical.