Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by egad09 View Post
Agreed. We tried and in fear of your incident occurring decided to not risk. So it still not on.
One REALLY expensive little belt. Cost $50.00!!! Not wanting to tear in and have to buy a new one!

Going to see about the "tool" the package mentions or might just ask the dealership to throw it on real quick because i need to take it in anyway for the lifter.
Good idea. Mine has been going for a year with a hole somewhere in it. Just a matter of time.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Holy crap... that thing is a PITA... I figured 5 minutes tops and we'd be done...

So what is this special tool and how does it work? Seemed we just couldn't keep the belt on the AC pulley while trying to rotate it onto the crank pulley. Tried both directions and I didn't want to get too aggressive and tear the new belt...

Oh well... it's driveable now without AC... but he does have a couple of pretty noisy lifters on the driver side. While they are checking that out they can take care of the belt too.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Holy crap... that thing is a PITA... I figured 5 minutes tops and we'd be done...

So what is this special tool and how does it work? Seemed we just couldn't keep the belt on the AC pulley while trying to rotate it onto the crank pulley. Tried both directions and I didn't want to get too aggressive and tear the new belt...

Oh well... it's driveable now without AC... but he does have a couple of pretty noisy lifters on the driver side. While they are checking that out they can take care of the belt too.
I put mine on the crank pulley and cranked the crank pulley using the crank bolt will leveraging the belt on the ac pulley with a screw driver. Once I did that it walked on perfectly.

Wish I'd done that before putting a hole in it first. Have had no problems though.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Tried it that way too...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Tried it that way too...
Oh, it was MUCH harder than I just made it sound but I finally got it. From what I understand the tool actually clips on to the canter bolt on the AC pulley and guides the belt on.

Don't quote me on that.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #20
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Oh, it was MUCH harder than I just made it sound but I finally got it. From what I understand the tool actually clips on to the canter bolt on the AC pulley and guides the belt on.

Don't quote me on that.
That would kind of make sense because as it would rotate onto the AC pulley then would come off on the back side end up in the groove around the front of the pulley. Might be something good to buy and put in the tool box...

or I'll ask Owen if I can borrow his...
Old 02-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
egad09

Drives: 2010 CGM 1SS Camaro
Mission Accomplished!!
It took a total of 4 hours today of cursing seating calling driving buying and all the rest involved but it is done...
However it appears I've found the cause of the problem in the first place. The AC itself is making more noise than the motor is! Have an appointment to drop the car off Monday evening to let them start work Tuesday on the lifters going to add this to the work order.
This means that not only has the heater now been replaced (along with the windshield and dash being torn apart/replace) also the AC in the Camaro in under two years time.

For the future save the hassle and buy the belt from Chevy it comes with the "tool" and is still a pain but a bit less atleast. Doesnt continue to slip off, just a pain to get the belt around it.

And HERE is the mystery tool:

photo 1 by egad09, on Flickr

photo 2 by egad09, on Flickr
Old 02-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Nice... so cutting the belt off actually fixed the problem... LOL

cuz all I heard was lifter ticking...

Good Job..
Old 02-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #23
egad09

Update:: AC is "fixed" supposedly and the Camaro is STILL at dealership.
$500 to fix ac fan. and a 4 day wait for GM to approve the warranty work because of incomplete service records because i couldnt find one receipt from walmart for the purchase of oil ..... Got the authorization today from GM to start however they are "busy back there" and didnt even touch the car today as far as i know so looking like next week until i get her back!!
In the mean time im driving a new bright red Chevy Cruze....
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
egad09

Got a call while on lunch today she was ready! Seems to be much stronger/smooth ride. Happy so far. Didnt drive it much however.
Did notice what appears to be a dent ontop of the fender about drivers wheel however.... maybe its just the week of shop dust dirt. will see tomorrow when in daylight and can wash her! :(
Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

They did the lifters?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
mlee
CamaroFans.com

You had to produce an Oil Change receipt before warranty work could be approved...

Holly crap... I actually lost my warranty after the first oil change then... much earlier than I thought
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #27
egad09

Quote:
You had to produce an Oil Change receipt before warranty work could be approved...

Holly crap... I actually lost my warranty after the first oil change then... much earlier than I thought
Yea no kidding.. "incomplete service records" is what I was told.. Alot of time searching and going through statements. Luckily everything with the Camaro only goes on one card. And nothing else goes on it.

THE BAD NEWS::: less than 24 hours after pickup I am now experiencing misfire and the control module is not communicating per OnStar Diagnostic. Have service engine light and all three of the traction control lights illuminated on the dashboard. appointment set Monday morning to bring her back after they had it a week already.

Last edited by egad09; 02-25-2012 at 10:43 AM.
egad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #28
egad09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
They did the lifters?
Just saw ur post pq. Yes the replaced the lifters finally! But now have other issues... See above post.