Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #29
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
that base fuel pressure is way too high taking into consideration youre making 18psi of boost, so your fuel pressure would end up at 80psi (assuming your regulator can pressurize that much) remember pump flow always goes down as pressure rises, theres only too much a pump can do.

Now turn down your base fuel pressure to 55psi and the drop might go away completely... just an idea
Thanks for the hint. I tried that, same thing. Injector duty cycle goes to the roof as pressure drops. Pressure is on 80-81psi with 18psi. Drops down to 70 in the end of a pull.

I will do some deeper diagnostics when I get a chance.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #30
realsquash

Drives: Four Door Camaro
Our Camaro dual pump unit flows more than twice as much as the CTS-V system. Nobody has maxed it out as far as I know and there are several Camaros running around between 1100 and 1400 rwhp on E85 (that 1LE was on E85, btw). It's quiet, reliable, etc. Turn the key to start the car and forget it's there. 110 degrees ambient temp? No problem.

Mr. Boosted Moderator could probably run faster down the track if he got rid of all that fuel system baloney and put our unit in the stock tank and ran some -6 fuel lines. Hah!

Andy
Old 09-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #31
Boost6924

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsquash View Post
Our Camaro dual pump unit flows more than twice as much as the CTS-V system. Nobody has maxed it out as far as I know and there are several Camaros running around between 1100 and 1400 rwhp on E85 (that 1LE was on E85, btw). It's quiet, reliable, etc. Turn the key to start the car and forget it's there. 110 degrees ambient temp? No problem.

Mr. Boosted Moderator could probably run faster down the track if he got rid of all that fuel system baloney and put our unit in the stock tank and ran some -6 fuel lines. Hah!

Andy
Thanks for the info!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #32
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Squash dual 450s for the last 7k miles with no issues. 2nd pump is on a hobb switch. No noise.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost6924 View Post
Thanks for the hint. I tried that, same thing. Injector duty cycle goes to the roof as pressure drops. Pressure is on 80-81psi with 18psi. Drops down to 70 in the end of a pull.

I will do some deeper diagnostics when I get a chance.
so if im not mistaken if you lower your base pressure to 55psi, then it would go up to 72psi then drop to 70 only, which is VERY acceptable btw

How high does injector duty cycle go up to however? I mean if you're happy with the power you're making you don't need a different pump unless you have more in mind. If youre injector duty cycle is going a lot above 80% then you might need bigger injectors however.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #34
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I'm going to check, you guys have me wondering, if my regulator is before or after the rails...
the correct way is to have it after the rails, but im noticing more and more people start putting it before the rails, so its "ALMOST" like a returnless fuel system. The stock fuel systems have a return inside the tank. The only disadvantage of doing this is you lower the capability of the pump so for example:

if youre pump could flow for 1000bhp with the regulator after the rails, it might not flow more than 900bhp with the regulator before the rails.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
realsquash

Quote:
the correct way is to have it after the rails, but im noticing more and more people start putting it before the rails, so its "ALMOST" like a returnless fuel system. The stock fuel systems have a return inside the tank. The only disadvantage of doing this is you lower the capability of the pump so for example:

if youre pump could flow for 1000bhp with the regulator after the rails, it might not flow more than 900bhp with the regulator before the rails.
Honestly you can support major HP with the regulator "before" the rails, even using stock rails. It also prevents some heat from going back into the fuel somewhat, which raises the temperature in the tank. Over 1000rwhp the "technically-best" way is to run the FPR after the rails, but it's not the end of the world by any stretch to run the regulator before.

BTW the stock 5th gen fuel system doesn't have a return in the tank - the pump speed is controlled electronically using a fuel pressure sensor for feedback.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
Quote:
I run the LPE twins to feed the Weldon... Via a 2-3 gallon sump... LPEs run wide open with no resistance, keeping the sump full... Excess runs back into the tank... The Weldon runs to the FPR and then the fuel rails... The FPR has boost sense... The LPEs can't hang by themselves... At least not on a 429 with 25-30 lbs of boost and 127 lb/hr injectors...
Yea he said 1000hp, not 1400
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Our Camaro dual pump unit flows more than twice as much as the CTH
-V system. Nobody has maxed it out as far as I know and there are several Camaros running around between 1100 and 1400 rwhp on E85 (that 1LE was on E85, btw). It's quiet, reliable, etc. Turn the key to start the car and forget it's there. 110 degrees ambient temp? No problem.

Andy
And Where Were You Guys When We Started This Project...Oh... Thats Right.... Lol....How Much Rwhp Will This System Support...With The Bigger Turbos, We MaY Run Out Of Fuel Pump...And My Phone Is On Crack... Sorry For The Terrible Typing...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

And I Dont Believe For A Second Dash 6 Lines Will Support My Fuel Needs Unless Its At 500 Psi...Dont Gave mY Calc Handy But..

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #39
Boost6924

Quote:
so if im not mistaken if you lower your base pressure to 55psi, then it would go up to 72psi then drop to 70 only, which is VERY acceptable btw

How high does injector duty cycle go up to however? I mean if you're happy with the power you're making you don't need a different pump unless you have more in mind. If youre injector duty cycle is going a lot above 80% then you might need bigger injectors however.
Pressure drops too much no difference if I am 55psi base or 62psi base.
Duty cycle goes to 99% both ways, which tells me pump runs out of capacity
with my level of fuel demand. Please correct me if I am wrong. This is with 18psi and 1100+ RWHP.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
realsquash

Quote:
And I Dont Believe For A Second Dash 6 Lines Will Support My Fuel Needs Unless Its At 500 Psi...Dont Gave mY Calc Handy But..
Mkay well think of it like this: One Walbro 267 pump's outlet nipple has an inside diameter of .220" and there is a check valve in there taking up maybe 20% of the cross sectional area. If you do the math you need about 0.312" diameter through your plumbing to support every drop two of those pumps could possibly push through their outlets.

The inside diameter of the -6 PTFE fittings we use is 0.310", but a standard Startlite type -6 is only 0.225". A Startlite -8 hose end has a 0.387" diameter passage.

Almost all of the 1000+ RWHP Camaros running our system use the stock hard line as the supply and a -6 (either size) return line. The guys who want the most possible flow will run the -6 PTFE as a supply and use the hard line as the return. Yes, on E85.

I don't know how much HP your car makes and I'm not going to make excuses for it not being ready when your car needed it, but I stand behind all of this with my wallet so I don't take it lightly. It's not too late to switch :P

Andy
Old 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #41
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Mkay well think of it like this: One Walbro 267 pump's outlet nipple has an inside diameter of .220" and there is a check valve in there taking up maybe 20% of the cross sectional area. If you do the math you need about 0.312" diameter through your plumbing to support every drop two of those pumps could possibly push through their outlets.

The inside diameter of the -6 PTFE fittings we use is 0.310", but a standard Startlite type -6 is only 0.225". A Startlite -8 hose end has a 0.387" diameter passage.

Almost all of the 1000+ RWHP Camaros running our system use the stock hard line as the supply and a -6 (either size) return line. The guys who want the most possible flow will run the -6 PTFE as a supply and use the hard line as the return. Yes, on E85.

I don't know how much HP your car makes and I'm not going to make excuses for it not being ready when your car needed it, but I stand behind all of this with my wallet so I don't take it lightly. It's not too late to switch :P

Andy
It Was A Serious Question... Ill Reply Later Today When Im On My Ipad Rather Then This Crack Phone

Thanks Andy

Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #42
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost6924 View Post
Pressure drops too much no difference if I am 55psi base or 62psi base.
Duty cycle goes to 99% both ways, which tells me pump runs out of capacity
with my level of fuel demand. Please correct me if I am wrong. This is with 18psi and 1100+ RWHP.
1100rwhp is pushing it. I did some tuning on my car today and even my fuel pressure is dropping (not sure how much) but thank god injector duty cycle on the ID1000 is at a few points below 80% at 20psi of boost on the 9:1 CR 427.