Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
GreenMachine11

Drives: 2015 Bright Yellow 2SS 1LE
Send a message via Yahoo to GreenMachine11 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenMachine11
MACE 25mm Insulator V.S. Black Iceolator

Hey guys so I've decided to bite the bullet on one of these products..I have read some awesome reviews on both & have noticed it's one of the best "bang for your buck" mods on here for the LT!
However, I'm not sure which one I should go with. I'm leaning more towards MACE from what I've read in some of the threads. I would definitely prefer more torque over HP.
What is your all's take on this matter? Any input is appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris
GreenMachine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Here you go: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212430

There's an official 3rd party comparison

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I've often wondered if I shouldn't have gone with the MACE 12mm version instead of the 9mm black Ice as a happy medium of both products.

I didn't go with the 25mm b/c running the Vararam, I feel like there would be fitment issues even though it has been done before (lscamaro!). I'd definitely take the torque over HP as well.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
GreenMachine11

Send a message via Yahoo to GreenMachine11 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenMachine11
Thanks Lscamaro! Very helpful & brilliant write-up comparing & contrasting the two.
I will be going with MACE. I know it's a fairly simple installation, however I have heard some members omitting the RTV sealant & just buying extra gaskets for the install as a full proof method of ensuring no future issues occur. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I personally did the two gasket method. So yes, I bought the extra gasket and ommited the RTV. I didn't want to deal with the fact that RTV has to cure for awhile so I just bought the extra gasket. I will say that if you can swing it, a 13mm flex head wrench will save you loads of time. Here's a link to one: http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-13mm...a=00947899000P

I bought mine from Amazon and it save a load of time for the rear bolt since it's a pain to get to

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
GreenMachine11

Good deal. Okay so I will go with the 2 gasket-method as well. Where did you buy the extra gasket? Or do I need 2? Can you send a link for those?
And I will definitely go with that wrench haha! I've heard that back bolt is a devil to get to.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine11 View Post
Good deal. Okay so I will go with the 2 gasket-method as well. Where did you buy the extra gasket? Or do I need 2? Can you send a link for those?
And I will definitely go with that wrench haha! I've heard that back bolt is a devil to get to.
Definitely buy that wrench those rear bolts are a pain to get out but as for the gasket you can either swing by your local dealer and order it there or you can get it through Maureen on the forum. Her user name is MaureenM@RodgersChevrolet. I order all of my parts through her great serivce, free shipping and great prices.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!

Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Amazon has the gasket:
http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-125909...ype=automotive

or gmpartsdirect.com, or gmpartshouse.com...
Old 06-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I've often wondered if I shouldn't have gone with the MACE 12mm version instead of the 9mm black Ice as a happy medium of both products.

I didn't go with the 25mm b/c running the Vararam, I feel like there would be fitment issues even though it has been done before (lscamaro!). I'd definitely take the torque over HP as well.
Depending on what version was read, the torque gain was 5 to 10 torque.
Depending on what version you read, the HP loss on the mace was there at the high end and not for the black ice.
Depending on what version you read, one was better than the other.
Don't think there is enough of a difference to say one should be bought over the other.

I think you get what I am trying to say. I ended up purchasing black ice and will be putting it on in a week or so. Not so sure I would notice the difference low end between the two and not typically at high end as this is my DD so I think it was a toss up either way. If nothing else, can always get another black ice and rtv them together. (just kidding)

My choice on which to go with was because I decided to give Ivan a little business. Not sure if that is the best way to decide, but it is what I did.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote