Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-15-2023, 10:47 AM   #15
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
I just PMd you. I have a pair of 1LE axles that i took off in Ohio after i went with a ZL1 rear.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:31 PM   #16
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Man, it's worse than I thought. I contacted several long-time-in-business driveline shops I know around the country. NONE of them will touch FWD / axle half shafts anymore. Comments like, "The Chinese won. Can't complete with the junk at Pep Boys...etc."

I even showed them what G Force gets for 'hi perf' axles and no one cared. Once bitten, I guess. $2,089 for two axle half shafts is INSANE but it looks like that's where we are for a decent product.
Old 11-16-2023, 02:03 PM   #17
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Just saw this!! If you are still looking, jump on it!!

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621085
Old 11-16-2023, 02:08 PM   #18
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
That is a good deal. Got me thinking I should pick up the axles as spares.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:18 PM   #19
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
That is a good deal. Got me thinking I should pick up the axles as spares.
I thought so too. If I have the extra bucks I'd get them..
Old 11-16-2023, 02:30 PM   #20
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I really want to upgrade my axles to DSS axles to match my driveshaft, but Alot of people say the axles are junk, complain about clicking noises, etc... I really just want the upgrade done for piece of mind and future upgrades. They used to have lower hp applications available but now they just have the big hp axles with the hefty price.
I’ve not heard from any Big HP users of DSS that their axles are junk. I’m guessing many claiming this are keyboard warriors that heard from a friend of a friend of their cousins sister that blah blah blah… Can they break, of course, can some of them click a bit, possibly if the car is lowered or the alignment is off… I say you can’t build a high performance car without giving up some NVH, yes, a very mild build maybe, but nothing is free… Tighten up the suspension, you get road noise, and stiffer ride… add headers and exhaust, you get some noise and harmonics etc etc…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel67 View Post
Yeah, I rather not spent $1800 on a set of Axles and then have a bunch of problem.
So the G-force are Junk or the DSS? I'm thinking of the G-force Axles and the 1 piece driveshaft from QA1
You cant go wrong with either company… I run DSS, sent my axles in for a rebuild, upgrade, they sent the old ones back to me, and the new upgrade axles as well… So I had spares for racing just in case… You would look extremely hard to find anyone anywhere torturing axles more than I did, and never a hint of an issue… At the same time, a number of friends, at least 8 or 10 run G-Force axles. The biggest single difference is rolled splines or cut splines. Here’s the rub, both companies have flawless customer service… I never heard a complaint from any racers at the Texas Mile and other like events complain about either company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
Buy once cry once. Just buy Gforce or DSS axles. They both have their own issues, so don't let people convince you that gforce is perfect or vice-versa. I've had to send my DSS axles in for repair once. I've had to replace boots on them as well as they crack with age. Just to be expected as I've had them for almost 10 years.
I have the 1000hp ones that they don't make anymore like someone above mentioned.
This… G-Force or DSS will serve you well…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I'm going to get you boys some references. I know too many people to think that the only place to get a decent product is from DSS.

Stand by...
As above, a number of friends run either / or. I happen to run DSS, axles and pumpkin, with a Strange Center Section and a WaveTrac diff, 3.07 gears… My driveshaft is a one piece 4” aluminum shaft built locally (San Antonio) for less than $500.00 with 1350 yokes on both ends, pushing 2k plus RWHP, in a 4000 plus lb car for a mile… Great components and great customer service…

However, G-Force builds just as good a product, and they also have stellar customer service. You won’t go wrong with either…

If you develop an issue with either product, contact them and work it out. In 13 years both have taken care of their customers and while you can’t please everyone, my close circle of BIG HP guys swear by both companies.

You buy cheap you get cheap… with no recourse… I bought from one of the 2 Best in my opinion and never looked back…

Tossing 2000+ hp into axles at 225 mph in 5th gear is as rough as it gets….. and my 1400 hp rated axles sent it…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 06:00 PM   #21
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I’ve not heard from any Big HP users of DSS that their axles are junk. I’m guessing many claiming this are keyboard warriors that heard from a friend of a friend of their cousins sister that blah blah blah… Can they break, of course, can some of them click a bit, possibly if the car is lowered or the alignment is off… I say you can’t build a high performance car without giving up some NVH, yes, a very mild build maybe, but nothing is free… Tighten up the suspension, you get road noise, and stiffer ride… add headers and exhaust, you get some noise and harmonics etc etc…

You can go wrong with either company… I run DSS, sent my axles in for a rebuild, upgrade, they sent the old ones back to me, and the new upgrade axles as well… So I had spares for racing just in case… You would look extremely hard to find anyone anywhere torturing axles more than I did, and never a hint of an issue… At the same time, a number of friends, at least 8 or 10 run G-Force axles. The biggest single difference is rolled splines or cut splines. Here’s the rub, both companies have flawless customer service… I never heard a complaint from any racers at the Texas Mile and other like events complain about either company.

As above, a number of friends run either / or. I happen to run DSS, axles and pumpkin, with a Strange Center Section and a WaveTrac diff, 3.07 gears… My driveshaft is a one piece 4” aluminum shaft built locally (San Antonio) for less than $500.00 with 1350 yokes on both ends, pushing 2k plus RWHP, in a 4000 plus lb car for a mile… Great components and great customer service…

However, G-Force builds just as good a product, and they also have stellar customer service. You won’t go wrong with either…

If you develop an issue with either product, contact them and work it out. In 13 years both have taken care of their customers and while you can’t please everyone, my close circle of BIG HP guys swear by both companies.

You buy cheap you get cheap… with no recourse… I bought from one of the 2 Best in my opinion and never looked back…

Tossing 2000+ hp into axles at 225 mph in 5th gear is as rough as it gets….. and my 1400 hp rated axles sent it…
All great info SSE!!! Thanks for reinforcing what I have heard all along. I have the DSS driveshaft and no complaints from me, along with solid cradle mounts, so some noise, yeah, but my Corsa covers all that!! If, and when I have to do axles, it will be the DSS ones.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:42 PM   #22
Moto-Mojo

Don't get me wrong. I have no particular axe to grind with DSS or ANY shop. In fact, DSS was a customer of the company I retired from. I had just traveled to 49 states and several countries 'in the business' from 1983 to 2021 and met many other competent people and shops. The Rzeppa style axle business simply changed. Drastically! All good.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:18 PM   #23
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
You can go wrong with either company… I run DSS, sent my axles in for a rebuild, upgrade, they sent the old ones back to me, and the new upgrade axles as well… So I had spares for racing just in case… You would look extremely hard to find anyone anywhere torturing axles more than I did, and never a hint of an issue… At the same time, a number of friends, at least 8 or 10 run G-Force axles. The biggest single difference is rolled splines or cut splines. Here’s the rub, both companies have flawless customer service… I never heard a complaint from any racers at the Texas Mile and other like events complain about either company.

Thanks for the Feedback Brother.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:16 PM   #24
jesse121pm

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss 45th anniversary
Quote:
I'm going to get you boys some references. I know too many people to think that the only place to get a decent product is from DSS.

Stand by...
What's those refrences looking like.
jesse121pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:31 PM   #25
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Don't get me wrong. I have no particular axe to grind with DSS or ANY shop. In fact, DSS was a customer of the company I retired from. I had just traveled to 49 states and several countries 'in the business' from 1983 to 2021 and met many other competent people and shops. The Rzeppa style axle business simply changed. Drastically! All good.
I certainly didn’t take anything you said wrong. Due to Chinese junk, both companies DSS and G-Force, have limited their offerings with a higher price for each since it’s harder to build seldom ordered items in bulk… Quality items from reputable companies will cost more, but offer so much more…

We have always, with the 5th and now the 6th Gen Camaros had great companies to work with, and some schiesters, even among US companies… There’s one in particular I wouldn’t buy a life jacket from if I was drowning… Dude has a fortune from his daddy and screws any and all every chance he gets… Sorry, I drifted off topic…

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 09:54 AM   #26
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse121pm View Post
So I am in need of axles not orileys ones like the ones I have, I am not looking to spend the $1800 on axles from geforce right now. So I have found a couple options on ebay, I found a pair of OEM axles for $170 off of a camaro with 65k miles and I found one left one for $130 that the car was at 16k miles. Which one would you go with. Mind you I have a passanger oem axle thats only has about 10k miles on it, my left axle that always breaks is an orileys axle so i really only need the left one. But I just thought I'd ask. The car i have right now also has 105k miles if that matters, it has a new oem diff and new drivers side axle. its a manual 2ss 2012 also
https://leecparts.com/collections/5t...r-ps-used-read

Found these on Lee C parts... Quite a nice discount compared to new. Just needs a new boot on one end.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:08 AM   #27
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse121pm View Post
What's those refrences looking like.
See post #16.
Old 11-17-2023, 05:38 PM   #28
Infidel67
Life's just a Ride

Drives: 2011 Synergy Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
https://leecparts.com/collections/5t...r-ps-used-read

Found these on Lee C parts... Quite a nice discount compared to new. Just needs a new boot on one end.
Damn!! Thanks for this link I didn't even know it existed.