Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #29
Deathmore

Drives: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 View Post
When I was a senior 4 years ago, I drove a 94' v6 camaro that I bought and paid for completely by waiting tables at a chinese restaurant, I'm blonde haired blue eyed for those who are wondering. Loved that car, I can't image what it would have been like to have a 30k car at that age.
I'm 20 and just worked my ass off in a paper mill for a year for my down payment on my SS. I couldn't be happier and consider myself one of the luckiest people I know.

I couldn't imagine my parents buying me a car like that at 16 years old.(it doesnt help that it's literally worth almost as much as there house) You young guys have to understand where other people are coming from. I started working when I was 10 years old(no B.S.) to help my father out(he had bone cancer). We struggled every month just to keep the house. Now when your working everyday after school to survive, and some kid in your class comes in with a new $40,000 car his daddy bought him you can't help but be a little aggravated by it.

Not trying to bash anyone just want all you lucky teens to understand how fortunate you guys are. When your sitting in your $40,000 Camaro think of just how much some people will do for $40,000s.
Deathmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #30
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmore View Post
I'm 20 and just worked my ass off in a paper mill for a year for my down payment on my SS. I couldn't be happier and consider myself one of the luckiest people I know.

I couldn't imagine my parents buying me a car like that at 16 years old.(it doesnt help that it's literally worth almost as much as there house) You young guys have to understand where other people are coming from. I started working when I was 10 years old(no B.S.) to help my father out(he had bone cancer). We struggled every month just to keep the house. Now when your working everyday after school to survive, and some kid in your class comes in with a new $40,000 car his daddy bought him you can't help but be a little aggravated by it.

Not trying to bash anyone just want all you lucky teens to understand how fortunate you guys are. When your sitting in your $40,000 Camaro think of just how much some people will do for $40,000s.
My parents are actually very successful, and I grew up in a very privileged area, but when I said I wanted a car my dad said ok, take your money and go buy one. In retrospect, I'm glad they didn't buy me one, I learned how to work on cars because of that Camaro, and it really was full of my heart and soul, one of the best learning experiences I could have asked for. I'm a senior in college and just got my 10' SS, I signed a contract for a job after I graduate here in about a month and it had quite a few bonuses, so I figured what the hey.

I think one of the other reasons I loved my car is that it was mine, and the parents of all of my friends always thought that was great and impressive even though they may have bought their kid a car.
slomaro3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #31
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I'm on my phone. Being a senior they really don't hassle us about our phones.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #32
Trentin24
Trentin24

My car is definitely not 40k. But I do understand how it would upset people. But I didn't tell my parents to buy me the car. They asked which car was my favorite. I said camaro. My dad started looking around and he found one. I do not take my car for granted, I take very good care of it. They also made a deal with me, if I do good in school and focus on baseball I get to keep the car. I still have the car. So I must be doing something right.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #33
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
I'll still count it haha no worries! What kind of attention did you get at school?
I only told my two closest friends because I was pretty sure the car would be sold before my loan would go through. Lucky me, I did end up getting the car. I was walking to my 3rd period comp II class and by the time I got there the entire class was in the parking lot around my car. I didn't tell anyone, it was the most amazing feeling ever. I remote started it and walked over, even my teacher came out and flipped. Junior year I had the nicest car on campus and this one guy gave me a lot of crap for it. At the start of senior year that same guy got a pretty new (it was lightly used) F150 that was nice and I think it is fair to say at that point his car was nicer. At the end of senior year when I rolled up in my Camaro, he was pissed. Never been one to compete, but I guess I was the "Jones" in high school. (Oh, that guy's parents shared one car so they could buy their son a nice F150...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
Probably because their families don't have the money to buy them a brand new 5th gen and they are jealous?

I work 40 hours a week and make pretty damn good $$ an hour, but still look at how much the car payments would be even with 15k down. Some days I'll say "oh I should do it" and others I say "wow I could save money here and there if I don't do it and have a faster car." Do you guys pay your own insurance and registration and how much is it? I know my supervisor has a 2LT and his registration just finally came down to $300 but when he got the car it was nearly $500 for registration . . . my 4th gen is only $60. I'm not trying to be a dick at all, I just want to see how much you're paying on registration for my own decisions.
Living in Arkansas my registration is a whopping $20 a year. I pay all my insurance (40% worth of discounts with state farm) and car payments. My graduation gift was the extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmore View Post

Well.. my parents didn't buy my car for me but they did cosign with me. Trust me, I realize how lucky I am every day. It is an incredible feeling to walk out of my dorm room and look at this every day.

The yellow bike is a friend's but the black one is mine as well. I'm incredibly fortunate and I'm very thankful. I realize that I have it better than a lot of adults, and there are quite a few people who won't be able to have ever what I've managed to buy at 18. Work hard, play hard.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #34
samtheman32

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
My father just recently bought my car and I'm a junior, he fell in love with the car himself and said he got it for me because I deserved it. I'm grateful for having it, it sure attracts a lot of attention around here. Next to me is my buddy's Raptor and my girlfriend's BMW at school.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #35
Rogey89
ZL 1 3 7

Drives: '23 ZL1
Trentin24, just keep your eye's on the prize my man.

All that Camaro swagger isn't going to pay the bills when your older.

Just remember what your parents did for you, and pay them back by not living in the basement, with the best car to ever grace the road with it's presence, parked in their garage while your yelling upstairs for the f*cking meatloaf to be ready.

Stay classy from Oshawa!

Oh, btw, noticed your's is a 2010, I wasn't working for GM then, I was still in school, but congrats on the car. Don't be silly. Keep it forever.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #36
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Im a high schooler! I dont drive a 5th gen but i drive a 4th gen SS. Ive paid for most of my car and all my mods, my parents help me out during sports seasons though. Most kids at my school dont care about cars. My friends know i love my car and usually park near me even though i park all the way in the corner near no one haha. Havent had any kind of trouble with my car. Had it since 2nd semester of my Junior year.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #37
Asian Zero

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT RS
I look like I should be in High school does that count? (Im 25). So more often then not when Im in my car and pull up next to someone or I get out of it people think Im just one of those "privileged" kids.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #38
slomaro3.4

Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
It is sort of interesting to see what people think they deserve. I don't mean it in a bad way at all, some people just come from very wealthy families and others don't. I'm probably old school in the thought that everyone should have an older first car so that they can learn how to work on small things and not get screwed over left and right by shops.
slomaro3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #39
Trentin24
Trentin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 View Post
It is sort of interesting to see what people think they deserve. I don't mean it in a bad way at all, some people just come from very wealthy families and others don't. I'm probably old school in the thought that everyone should have an older first car so that they can learn how to work on small things and not get screwed over left and right by shops.
I don't feel like I deserved my car. I didn't even expect it. This was not my first car. I had a 97 honda accord first. Don't really remember the car anymore though haha. I know I will never forget my Camaro when I upgrade to the SS. Also any mods done to my car have all been done by me. Not once has it gone into a shop to be worked on. Except for the dealer for warranty work.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #40
samtheman32

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
I don't feel like I deserved my car. I didn't even expect it. This was not my first car. I had a 97 honda accord first. Don't really remember the car anymore though haha. I know I will never forget my Camaro when I upgrade to the SS. Also any mods done to my car have all been done by me. Not once has it gone into a shop to be worked on. Except for the dealer for warranty work.
I don't feel like I deserve mine either, my first car was a 1996 Z28 with a small cam so I had a small feel of some power. A lot of problems came up with it and rather than spending more money to fix all of them, my dad just thought it was time for a new car that I could use when I went off to college as well. My car came with its mods already so it was really hard for my father to pass the offer. I sure don't come from a wealthy family.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #41
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
I graduated high school last year and I got my Camaro the day after I graduated, I'm now finishing up my freshmen year of college now. Before my camaro I drove a 1995 Toyota 4-Runner with 220,000 miles on it, so the Camaro was defiantly a huge step up!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #42
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
You high school kids that own a 5th gen Camaro are very lucky. Never brag about it. There are MANY people out there today who are well beyond their high school/college years and want a new Camaro.
I graduated HS in 2001 and I would've loved to have a 2001 Camaro, especially a Z28 or SS. My 1978 Camaro got me around just fine though..

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote