Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Where did you mount your Line Lock button?

So, I'm looking at adding a line lock but I'm curious to see where members mounted their activation switch, led light, and lock button.

As of now I like the cruise control option and will probably go down that route but I was curious to see how others are mounting their switches. Maybe it will bring out some more ideas.

For me....I don't want to really drill any holes in the console if I don't have to. Thats one of the reasons why I like the cruise control option. I will only use mine a few times a year so I like the idea of having it basically hidden and out of the way until I need it.

Post any pics if you can....

BTW: I'll probably get the SJM kit.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
FASST 1

Drives: Black 1SS
First off I recommend upgrading the switches that came with the kit. One of mine broke before I even got it installed. For a couple of bucks you can get much nicer switches. I mounted the activation switch on the lip of the dash about where the steering column is located. There is a nice flat spot there and it is not in the way and out of sight. I bought a button switch with an LED light ring that takes place of the light push switch. It is chrome with a blue green light. I mounted it on the consol front right of the shifter. It looks stock.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
caverman

Nice!

I'll look at getting more switches. Definately like where you mounted the activation switch.

Even though your button looks good and definately looks 10x better than just mounting the light that comes with the kit, I would prefer to try not to drill into the console.

Where did you get your button from though? Maybe if I got something like that I could think of somewhere else to mount it.

I also thought it would be nice to have some kind of way to plug in a button. Maybe have the female side of it tucked up under the the side of the console. Then whey you get to the track just fish it out and plug in the button. When you're done, unplug and tuck it under the console.

Any one else.....
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Caverman if you are worried about drilling your console just for resale type issues. That piece can be bought for $25-$35. Just buy an extra one.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
FASST 1

Don't forget you need to be able to hold the button switch down the entire time you are heating up your tires. You can't be reaching in some awkward direction whlle you are in the stagging lane. It needs to be close and in a comfortable location. Just search on ebay. You will find the switch you want. Remember though that it has to turn off when you release it.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Caverman if you are worried about drilling your console just for resale type issues. That piece can be bought for $25-$35. Just buy an extra one.
If it's that cheap I would look at getting a second one. I have 2SS so I also have the console guages. I could've sworn those were $400 to replace. I'm sure they are cheaper from someone besides a dealer but still they probably be more than I want to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASST 1 View Post
Don't forget you need to be able to hold the button switch down the entire time you are heating up your tires. You can't be reaching in some awkward direction whlle you are in the stagging lane. It needs to be close and in a comfortable location. Just search on ebay. You will find the switch you want. Remember though that it has to turn off when you release it.
I'm thinking it could be something that you could hold in your hand. You would just hold on to for the 5 seconds or so of burn out.

Then again this is why I like the cruise control option so well and I still might go down that direction.
Build Journal
Old 11-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #7
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Mine's in the shop for the new cam now, so I can't get a pic.

But looking at this pic:

Mine are mounted on the black plastic trim on the left of the blue LED. I drilled a couple of holes and mounted two aircraft safety switches (flip up to arm). One red, one blue. The red one is for the linelock. The blue one is for the eletric water pump override-on (that I can use when the engine is off, ignition on).

It works for me, and I can always pick up a new trim piece. That location is good because you have room for the switch. The grey/silver pieces around the shifter and gauges are shallow and really don't have room to mount the hidden part of the switch. Plenty of room under the black plastic trim.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Caverman. The part that is drilled in the photo is very cheap. Its only $400 if you need the gauges too but you already have those. Rpi will sell you a custom painted one for $129

Last edited by daveagogo1; 11-02-2011 at 08:52 AM.
daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I will post up pics later when I get home, but..., my line lock power switch is in the 12 v power outlet next to the traction control switch... The power is already there... Just removed the power outlet and used a bushing to install the power switch...

It's activated by the horn switch... When I power up the line lock, a quick tap on the horn button tells me if it's armed and ready... If the horn works, then it is not ready... I get in the water, roll them over, pull forward and mash the brake, then hold the horn button down... Smoke em up, then when I'm ready to roll out of it I just let off the horn...

My builders electronics guy is amazing at fitting and hiding stuff... The nice part of this is that even under the cover, the switch light throws off enough light that I see it glowing and remember to turn it off before leaving the track... I usually try to turn it off at the time slip booth...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASST 1 View Post
First off I recommend upgrading the switches that came with the kit. One of mine broke before I even got it installed. For a couple of bucks you can get much nicer switches. I mounted the activation switch on the lip of the dash about where the steering column is located. There is a nice flat spot there and it is not in the way and out of sight. I bought a button switch with an LED light ring that takes place of the light push switch. It is chrome with a blue green light. I mounted it on the consol front right of the shifter. It looks stock.
I like your set-up, very nicely done!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
caverman

Hey FASST....

So, on your button you have it so that when you flip the toggle switch to activate the system it lights up the blue ring around the button? Or does the blue ring only come on while the line lock is actually set?
Build Journal
Old 11-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
If it's that cheap I would look at getting a second one. I have 2SS so I also have the console guages. I could've sworn those were $400 to replace. I'm sure they are cheaper from someone besides a dealer but still they probably be more than I want to spend.
The gauges themselves are $400, but that trim piece (aka the four gauge pack) is only about $20 or so.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
FASST 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Hey FASST....

So, on your button you have it so that when you flip the toggle switch to activate the system it lights up the blue ring around the button? Or does the blue ring only come on while the line lock is actually set?

The blue ring is lit when the system is hot. Nothing more happens when you push the button, other than the system is activated/set.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
FASST 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
I like your set-up, very nicely done!
Thanks!