Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
SS exhaust swap for ZL1?? i know someone is going to try ;)

this is a repost but I lost the thread months ago.. so im making a new one..

aside from the diffuser being different to accomodate the quad tips... will this theoretically work?? or will I have to get some other mods like some sort of cpmputer programming for the valves or somethin.. ill run with them open at all times.. doesnt bother me haha
Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRS View Post
this is a repost but I lost the thread months ago.. so im making a new one..

aside from the diffuser being different to accomodate the quad tips... will this theoretically work?? or will I have to get some other mods like some sort of cpmputer programming for the valves or somethin.. ill run with them open at all times.. doesnt bother me haha
I'm thinking of doing the same but the valves are controlled by the cars main computer. I dont know if that software can be added to previous ECU's. Even if you could your car would have the necessary wiring. What I've been looking at is the Mild to wild exhaust control kit from West Coast Corvette.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...-c6z06zr1.aspx

Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
What I would worry a little about would be the size of the pipes aft of the cats' and then how it fits against and around the rear pumpkin, being it's a lot larger on ZL1. The bodies of the mufflers are significantly different between the two (for obvious dual-mode reasons) but the bends aft the pumkin are more aggressive on ZL1. It seems like it would work, but I'd just anticipate checking these areas for any problems. Otherwise - I bet it'd be a nice fit

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
stymie

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
How about programming the in-car HOMELINK system to control the valving... ?
stymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
I am definitely going to be doing this swap. If I'm correct the dual mode exhaust on the corvettes run off vacuum. My '12 SS should have some of the Zl1 provisions already in tact.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
I am definitely going to be doing this swap. If I'm correct the dual mode exhaust on the corvettes run off vacuum. My '12 SS should have some of the Zl1 provisions already in tact.
I remember seeing a dual mode exhaust up close when i was at a chevy dealer gettin work done on my cobalt SS revving below 4K it was fine then he let it rip and it opened up higher than 4500-5000 RPM..was a nice sight.. I mean n theory its not liek the ZL1 is a WIDER camaro.. and all camaros come off the same frame and platform so im sure this exhaust will mount up just fine.. we just need a good under body shot of a ZL1 LEGIT.. to see what the mufflers look like
Old 01-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by stymie View Post
How about programming the in-car HOMELINK system to control the valving... ?
Yes there's another kit that will let you.

http://shop.sunsetorangecreations.co...1&categoryId=2

Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRS View Post
I remember seeing a dual mode exhaust up close when i was at a chevy dealer gettin work done on my cobalt SS revving below 4K it was fine then he let it rip and it opened up higher than 4500-5000 RPM..was a nice sight.. I mean n theory its not liek the ZL1 is a WIDER camaro.. and all camaros come off the same frame and platform so im sure this exhaust will mount up just fine.. we just need a good under body shot of a ZL1 LEGIT.. to see what the mufflers look like
Its an issue of whether or not the tubing is 2.5 inch diameter or 3 inch diameter that so have speculated it might be. If its 2.5 it'll bolt right up, if not it'll require some adapting.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I don't think its worth doing. you'd be better of with an aftermarket cat back IMO.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
nak3dsnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
I don't think its worth doing. you'd be better of with an aftermarket cat back IMO.
Except people want it for the dual mode part of the exhaust. And last time I checked there wasn't a dual mode kit for our cars, and a pair of dual mode mufflers are about 800 bucks a pair. I suppose you could get a set of baffles and do it yourself but that's not what people here want. So getting a take off exhaust from a ZL1 looks like the better deal.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Rogey89
ZL 1 3 7

Drives: '23 ZL1
I don't think adding the ZL1 active exhaust to the SS is a good idea