Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
ZachSGMSS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM Camaro
Talking SW retro catback installed.

I was finally able to get my stainless works cat back and solo high flow cats installed yesterday. I love how my car sounds now. Its a little louder than I expected it to be on the inside under acceleration but I still love it! My car now has the aggressive sound to match its looks. This set up has made my car sound like a completely different car. When my dad heard my car he thought I had more done to it than high flows and a cat back, but he also said he couldn't really hear the car until I pulled it into the garage so I'm not worried about waking the neighbors or anything.

Only problem I have is I think I heard a rattle when going over some bumps so if that keeps up I'll be taking it back to the shop that installed it so they can take a look at it.

In case you didn't want to read all of that... I love how the stainless works retro cat back and solo high flow cats have made my car sound. It's loud but not too loud and gives my car the aggressive sound it should have to match its looks.

Oh, as for the whole AFM thing people complain about with after market exhaust.. I didn't hear any terrible sounds coming from my car. I've never been able to tell when it kicks in though so I just might never notice it. Either that or those of you who have complained about it are over reacting a bit.

Thanks Stainless works, Solo performance, Apex chase (sold me cat back), and Juiced1 (sold me the high flow cats). I couldn't be happier with how this turned out.

Last edited by ZachSGMSS; 08-06-2011 at 11:46 AM.
ZachSGMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
lsuguy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Grats! I have the retro cat back as well and love it. I can't wait to add headers to it
lsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Congrats. Sounds like one sweet set up.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011camaroexcited View Post
I was finally able to get my stainless works cat back and solo high flow cats installed yesterday. I love how my car sounds now. Its a little louder than I expected it to be on the inside under acceleration but I still love it! My car now has the aggressive sound to match its looks. This set up has made my car sound like a completely different car. When my dad heard my car he thought I had more done to it than high flows and a cat back, but he also said he couldn't really hear the car until I pulled it into the garage so I'm not worried about waking the neighbors or anything.

Only problem I have is I think I heard a rattle when going over some bumps so if that keeps up I'll be taking it back to the shop that installed it so they can take a look at it.

In case you didn't want to read all of that... I love how the stainless works retro cat back and solo high flow cats have made my car sound. It's loud but not too loud and gives my car the aggressive sound it should have to match its looks.

Oh, as for the whole AFM thing people complain about with after market exhaust.. I didn't hear any terrible sounds coming from my car. I've never been able to tell when it kicks in though so I just might never notice it. Either that or those of you who have complained about it are over reacting a bit.

Thanks Stainless works, Solo performance, Apex chase (sold me cat back), and Juiced1 (sold me the high flow cats). I couldn't be happier with how this turned out.
Thank you for your order and the shout out. Glad to hear you like that system as much as I do. Tomorrow we are filming an HD video with digital stereo audio of the Stainless Works Retro Chambered. I can't wait!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #5
Tantalizer43

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Me either!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Awsome buddy, you picked a great system, glad i was able to show you some great videos of mine to help your decision!.....I love my setup and sounds like you do too
Old 08-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
ZachSGMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Awsome buddy, you picked a great system, glad i was able to show you some great videos of mine to help your decision!.....I love my setup and sounds like you do too
Yeah I was going to send you a a pm thanking you for those videos. I was pretty much sold on the set up but your videos and some of what you said sealed the deal for me. I don't think you could pay me to take this system off my car lol.

Question for anyone here: I was out driving a bit today and the rattle I mentioned in my first post seems to be more of a knock than a rattle and only really seems so appear when I hit a bump in the road (like a man hole cover or the reflectors between lanes) at like 20 mph or higher and it sounds like its right under my feet and goes to about the center console from what I can hear. Could any of you tell me what is in that area that would be making that noise? I've never been under my own car so I've got no idea. TRC since you have the same set up did you have this happen to you too or was something just not tightened fully under there?
Old 08-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Quote:
Yeah I was going to send you a a pm thanking you for those videos. I was pretty much sold on the set up but your videos and some of what you said sealed the deal for me. I don't think you could pay me to take this system off my car lol.

Question for anyone here: I was out driving a bit today and the rattle I mentioned in my first post seems to be more of a knock than a rattle and only really seems so appear when I hit a bump in the road (like a man hole cover or the reflectors between lanes) at like 20 mph or higher and it sounds like its right under my feet and goes to about the center console from what I can hear. Could any of you tell me what is in that area that would be making that noise? I've never been under my own car so I've got no idea. TRC since you have the same set up did you have this happen to you too or was something just not tightened fully under there?
I think i know what your issue is, first off did you put in the spacers on the cross member, they were the silver bar with a loop on each end, almost like a dog bone? that gives clearance from the exhaust rattling. If you did, i had a bit of a rattle from the two pipes still hitting the cross member, so i took a big crow bar and bent the cross member bar (only light metal) in the middle allowing more play from the bar itself to the exhaust, give that a shot, that really can be the only thing making the noise, unless your system is too far forward and the very first pipes off the high flows are hitting that edge, but i doubt it. Check to see how much room is between the cross member plate and the exhaust first, thats my guess
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
Majic
Majic

Drives: 2018 1LT Black...V6
No doubt it is the crossmember. Loosen everythinh up and shove it up and while someone holds it up or you have it supported tighten everything up. You can also put some spacers in to drop the cross member.

Rick
"MAJIC"
2014 2SS/RS.
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalizer43 View Post
Me either!!!
See you in a few hours.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
When I installed my cat back the drivers side tube was hitting the drive shaft yoke. I had to re adjust mine as well.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
Cruzin SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Conv.
Stainless Works 3" cat back system on L99

For all the questions there is a 3" cat back system from S.W. called retro that works with their addtional bracket modification kit that does work on auto trans and has clearance. There is no drone, I did have to remove AFM so it did not turn on, it had a very noticable burbule when turning cylinders back on. Also it was simple enough to install in my garage on jack stands and only two sockets 15mm and a 19mm. Nice sound!
Cruzin SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
ZachSGMSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
I think i know what your issue is, first off did you put in the spacers on the cross member, they were the silver bar with a loop on each end, almost like a dog bone? that gives clearance from the exhaust rattling. If you did, i had a bit of a rattle from the two pipes still hitting the cross member, so i took a big crow bar and bent the cross member bar (only light metal) in the middle allowing more play from the bar itself to the exhaust, give that a shot, that really can be the only thing making the noise, unless your system is too far forward and the very first pipes off the high flows are hitting that edge, but i doubt it. Check to see how much room is between the cross member plate and the exhaust first, thats my guess
I don't have jack stands or access to a lift so I really can't say if those spacers are there or not. I left the exhaust, cats and the instructions that came with everything at the shop I took it to. So if that was on the instructions then I'm sure they're there. But now that I know that hopefully when I take it back to the shop they'll be able to find the problem easier.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Quote:
I don't have jack stands or access to a lift so I really can't say if those spacers are there or not. I left the exhaust, cats and the instructions that came with everything at the shop I took it to. So if that was on the instructions then I'm sure they're there. But now that I know that hopefully when I take it back to the shop they'll be able to find the problem easier.
You can just look under the car and see the middle cross member, if you see a spacer looking thing on each end....then they are in.....if its flush well they are not