Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Unfkwthabl

Drives: 2011 V6 Synergy Green Camaro
Problem with Morimoto Projector please help!!!

I'm in the process of aiming my headlight and I cant get the drivers side headlight to raise enough to aim correctly. Everytime I try and raise the lights using the stock light screw it goes up but not high enough for correct visibility. I tried screwing it all the way but eventually it just pops out the housing. Is there something I am missing to get the cutoff line higher. The passenger side works fine also. Any advice on wht to do will be greatly appeciated.
Unfkwthabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
what cut off are you setting them to? The stock alignment?
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Unfkwthabl

Trying to get the cutoff line to be the same as the passenger side but it will not go up that high. I went with a friend wbo has stock projectors to get the cutoff to match and the passenger side worked fine but the drivers side wont go up tht high even when adjusted all the way.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Synerbee
SoCal Headturners

Drives: 2010 SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfkwthabl View Post
Trying to get the cutoff line to be the same as the passenger side but it will not go up that high. I went with a friend wbo has stock projectors to get the cutoff to match and the passenger side worked fine but the drivers side wont go up tht high even when adjusted all the way.
It is not suppose to. So you don't blind other drivers

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Synerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Unfkwthabl

I understand tht im not supposed to blind drivers but its aimed so low it affects visibility at night. Im trying to get it to match a lowered g8 cutoff line which doesnt blind drivers when driving.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Unfkwthabl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
what cut off are you setting them to? The stock alignment?
Yes any suggestions the passenger light is fine the drivers side is the one thats not getting high enough even when I adjust it all the way with the little screw on the back of the headlights. Any suggestions.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfkwthabl View Post
Yes any suggestions the passenger light is fine the drivers side is the one thats not getting high enough even when I adjust it all the way with the little screw on the back of the headlights. Any suggestions.
OK, not what I asked. How are you setting your HIDs? As in what procedure are you using to align them?

This is how you align your HID headlights

TO AIM PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS:

1. Align your car dead center in your driveway....the front and back of your car need to be perfectly aligned in the center..

2. Pull your car up to the garage door...as close as you can get w/o hitting the door..dead center in the middle of the garage door / driveway.

3. Put a piece of tape where the headlight beams hit the garage door. This should only be smal dot of light...

4. Pull you car back 25'. Your Projector lens should be 25' away from the garage door...not your tires or your bumper...your headlights. DEAD CENTER IN THE DRIVEWAY

5. With tape Place a VERTICAL line that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. Use a yardstick or a straight edge t make it perpendicular to the driveway. This is important for aiming your lights right to left....this is just as important as up and down because if your lights are aimed to far left you will still be shining omcoming traffic in the eyes and if they are aimed too far right your not getting the most out of your light.

6. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. They should oth be the same height off the driveway.

7. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that is 2.1" lower than the tape you placed on the garage in instruction #6. This line should be parallel with the line in #6...just 2.1" lower.

8. Cover up the passenger side headlight with a thick towel.

9. Turn on your lights

10. Drivers Side UP/Down: Bring the lower step of the cutoff to or below the tape line that is 2.1" lower than your headlights...Dot Spec is 2.1" to 2.5" drop over 25'

11. Drivers Side Right / Left: The Vertical line on the drivers side of the garage should intersect the middle of the slant on the cutoff. Move the beam pattern until this is the case. We don't have a left/right alignment. Only up/down. Don't worry about this part.

Moving the projectors from right to left may effect the height of the beam pattern. If this is the case..just go back and fine tune. Again, don't worry about left/right

12. Cover the Drivers side headlight with a thick towel.

13. Repeat the UP/Down Left/Right procedure that you did on the drivers side with the passenger side. The vertical line on the passenger side of the garage is to be used for instersecting the slant in the cutoff on the passenger side headlight beam.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
It's this way by design. The drivers side headlights are purposely made not to have as much adjustment in them as the passenger side so people can't raise them too high.

You can try shimming the housing and see if that works or see if you can remove the adjustment screw and put in a longer one
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
OK, not what I asked. How are you setting your HIDs? As in what procedure are you using to align them?
I don't think this is his problem.

The way I understand it, he lowered his car and now the headlights are too low to be of any use at night and now require to adjusted up. The passenger side adjusted up just fine but the drivers side won't come up anymore then it is.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Unfkwthabl

My friends car is lowered not mine and his lights are alot higher then my drivers side. I wanted to match his cutoff line because his lights have great visibility at night and does not blind drivers. We both parked 25 feet away from a wall and tried to aim my lights to match his cutoff. Also when driving it is noticable that the drivers side needs to be aimed higher. I need to somehow raise the cutoff line without using the factory screw on the back of the headlights because its already at its highest setting. I know the light output is supposed to be lower but not enough where it severely affects drivability at night.

@ steiger I tried it the way you suggested at first. This is when I noticed the problem. After this I took my friend to try and match his cutoff line to see if maybe I was doing it wrong.

Last edited by Unfkwthabl; 05-06-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 05-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
The Stig

OK. How do you know your friend's headlights aren't blinding other drivers? Not trying to be a jerk or anything, I'm just curious.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Unfkwthabl

We did a test in a bunch of cars with his car behind them trucks even a miata. I was hoping the case was his were aimed to high so that the problem would be his car not the projectors. None of the cars were blinded by his lights or my passenger light. I then tried the high beams so that I can drive with them on to get a higher cutoff line but that did blind everyone.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
The Stig

Did you try it with him driving the opposite direction as the test car? Because when your headlights aren't aligned you end up blinding on coming traffic, not the car in front of you.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #14
greenvillepilot
2fast4you

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I have the same issue. When I installed the Morimotos i could not get the angle up high enough (D#mn near pitch dark with normal beams on because the beam is only a few feet out from the car)...I tried adjusting and adjusting but still crappy. So I drive with my high beams on, It does not blind drivers and looks perfect. However I am going to re-open the casing and adjust the lights from within the housing by using washers behind the reflector...and before I reseal them I will test them this time mounted and screwed down. If you dont screw them down when you test them you will be off by a whole lot.