Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #71
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^cool. My luck I probably won't have the money when the zl1 goes nitro in '14-'15 haha.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #72
camarofreak

Drives: 2011 Silverado LT
I say bring it on Ford! But tonight we shall destroy the '12 gt500's and all the ford people will be sayin "wait till next year" , but it doesn't change the fact that we are better right now.
camarofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #73
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
2013 won't. But maybe 2014.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #74
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012conv.rs/ss View Post
Just saw the news that the 2013 GT500 is rated at 662hp. That is ford's answer to our beast. Since they upped the hp on the shelby, is Chevy doing any ups on the hp for the ZL1?
Nope. Didn't expect them to do anything either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarofreak View Post
I say bring it on Ford! But tonight we shall destroy the '12 gt500's and all the ford people will be sayin "wait till next year" , but it doesn't change the fact that we are better right now.
My understanding is you'll see 2012 / 2013 ZL1's getting their asses kicked this summer by the 2013 GT500.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #75
97SS

Drives: 1997 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonParsons View Post
I believe in 2 things.

1. Chevy has the better engineers
2. Chevy has the worst management/decision makers

When you look at Chevy and what their engineers can do, it's amazing. But those engineers have to get permission from the executives/decision makers to implement their creations. You get the sense at Ford, the engineers are giving marching orders like: Win at any cost. We'll take a financial hit on 5,000 Shelby's if it means people perceive Ford as leading.

At Chevy, the marching orders are more like: All right guys, we know you are brilliant, but let's not start from scratch. Let's keep costs down by using the existing parts bin and not make suggestions like Recaro Seats, please, just don't! And let's also make sure we don't piss off the Vette owners, so design a car up to a certain point, but not better than that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonParsons View Post
Why does everyone here act like Ford didn't touch the suspension, gearing, drive shaft, launch control on the 2013? Guys, it's time to stop using the "will the car hook up" excuse. None of these cars hook up easily. And let's be honest...racing from a stand still is the worst abuse you can put any car through. If a ZL1 and GT500 race from a roll, the Ford is going run away from the ZL1. And have you guys even seen the 2013 Shelby? It's effin slammed to the ground. They gave this car the best possible suspension they could. Maybe not as good as Magnetic Ride, but the car is not going to be a bad handling car.

Truth is, everyone here would rather have a 662bhp Camaro with a factory warranty, even if that meant sacrificing some traction. If Chevy doesn't answer back, I don't see the point in the ZL1 at all. They entered a war and the enemy just built a bigger gun. They need to answer back or the ZL1 will always be remembered for being second best. I thought GM/Chevy/Al talked all this hype about leading and beating Ford. Haven't heard from Old Al lately. Wonder why....
These are probably the best un-biased logical posts, I have seen on this forum.
97SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #76
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonParsons
I believe in 2 things.

1. Chevy has the better engineers
2. Chevy has the worst management/decision makers

When you look at Chevy and what their engineers can do, it's amazing. But those engineers have to get permission from the executives/decision makers to implement their creations. You get the sense at Ford, the engineers are giving marching orders like: Win at any cost. We'll take a financial hit on 5,000 Shelby's if it means people perceive Ford as leading.

At Chevy, the marching orders are more like: All right guys, we know you are brilliant, but let's not start from scratch. Let's keep costs down by using the existing parts bin and not make suggestions like Recaro Seats, please, just don't! And let's also make sure we don't piss off the Vette owners, so design a car up to a certain point, but not better than that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonParsons
Why does everyone here act like Ford didn't touch the suspension, gearing, drive shaft, launch control on the 2013? Guys, it's time to stop using the "will the car hook up" excuse. None of these cars hook up easily. And let's be honest...racing from a stand still is the worst abuse you can put any car through. If a ZL1 and GT500 race from a roll, the Ford is going run away from the ZL1. And have you guys even seen the 2013 Shelby? It's effin slammed to the ground. They gave this car the best possible suspension they could. Maybe not as good as Magnetic Ride, but the car is not going to be a bad handling car.

Truth is, everyone here would rather have a 662bhp Camaro with a factory warranty, even if that meant sacrificing some traction. If Chevy doesn't answer back, I don't see the point in the ZL1 at all. They entered a war and the enemy just built a bigger gun. They need to answer back or the ZL1 will always be remembered for being second best. I thought GM/Chevy/Al talked all this hype about leading and beating Ford. Haven't heard from Old Al lately. Wonder why....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SS View Post
These are probably the best un-biased logical posts, I have seen on this forum.
Agreed.

GM lost the war before the first battle even started.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #77
97SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_williams_82 View Post
Although the GT500 may have more HP than the ZL1 and Vette, Chevy ZR1 still has better 1/4 mile time than GT500! Therefore more HP doesn't really mean better car!! I mean it's not going to take much to tune a ZL1 to have just as much HP and the GT500 with 662HP or whatever it has, may have all the adds that make it an 80K car!! Still more than the ZL1! It's a lighter car, and it's only 1/2 a second faster in the 1/4 mile?? Stick with Chevy! Probably still going to be better bang for your buck!!
Your post seriously makes no sense. You sound like the typical Emblem humper.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #78
97SS

Quote:
Even Ford knows that won't happen. (the mustang beating ZL1's ring time)
Based off the current Youtube Drag Racing Videos. The 580HP, Gas Guzzzler ZL1 can't even keep up with the N/A Boss 302 Mustangs ?

2012 Camaro ZL1 1/4 Mile Times, on Youtube

At night time, cool weather, and Drag Radials!

11.92 on Nitto Drag Radials

Bone Stock 2012 Boss 302, Drag Radials, Naturally Aspirated

Last edited by 97SS; 04-28-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #79
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
Quote:
Wouldn't be too sure about that. A '12 GT 500 can easily run with a ZL1. Many stock '12 GT 500's run very low 12's and high 11's (with DR's). The '12's make more than their claimed 550HP. It's mostly going to be a driver's race.

Don't know if the 13 ZL1's will get a boost in power. Maybe they will take to mods as easily as the GT 500. If so, that would be a good thing for those seeking a power upgrade. One can easily get 40 - 50 more HP with just a tune and pulley change.
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #80
Nmbr1gmfan

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97SS View Post
Based off the current Youtube Drag Racing Videos. The 580HP, Gas Guzzzler ZL1 can't even keep up with the N/A Boss 302 Mustangs ?
Your video facts are skewed.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #81
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
what's skewed about them?
You posted the 12.02 run with the title above it saying with DR's...

That wasn't the case. The person who made that run has said it was on stock tires.

If you have information proving otherwise, feel free to post it up...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #82
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
remember the 2v mustangs?

remember the 4.6 and 5.4 modulars in the trucks?
Remember I said "in the last ten years" in my post?
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #83
capnkirk52
Banned

Drives: 10 GT500, Raptor
12.02 was on stock rubber. He took it back the other day with some Nittos and ran 11.92 I think.
capnkirk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #84
Paco
Banned

Drives: Chevrolet's, Ford's and one Jeep
Quote:
See bellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Murrocket View Post
Wouldn't be too sure about that. A '12 GT 500 can easily run with a ZL1. Many stock '12 GT 500's run very low 12's and high 11's (with DR's). The '12's make more than their claimed 550HP. It's mostly going to be a driver's race.

Don't know if the 13 ZL1's will get a boost in power. Maybe they will take to mods as easily as the GT 500. If so, that would be a good thing for those seeking a power upgrade. One can easily get 40 - 50 more HP with just a tune and pulley change.
+1
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote