Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #323
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Everyone but you seems to know it is coming. Obviously we do not have 100% irrefutable truth but there have been so many insider hints and the leaked vin cards. It is coming with an Ls7, the only question for me is if they will call it a Z28 and I cant think of a single,reason they wont. Well, we also need to know what cosmetic changes it will have and what breaks and other upgrades will come with it as well as the price.
Just like everyone knew the Z/28 was coming and it turned out to be the ZL1...

I'll believe in an LS7 Camaro from the factory when I see a factory LS7 Camaro for sale.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #324
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
No ZL1 should be top dog. It should be the all inclusive Camaro. The Z28 should be purpose built. Think ZR1 and Z06. Simple!
...no, the ZL1 should be dropped, it was a replacement for the Z/28. Use the platform engineering developments, engineering concepts and overall development that was learned from the project and incorporate it into the Z/28 along with the DI next gen motor, and Pedders.. We always had SS and Z/28, we need no more than that historicaly.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #325
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...no, the ZL1 should be dropped, it was a replacement for the Z/28. Use the platform engineering developments, engineering concepts and overall development that was learned from the project and incorporate it into the Z/28 along with the DI next gen motor, and Pedders.. We always had SS and Z/28, we need no more than that historicaly.
It was not a replacement for the Z28. GM saw what they had created was NOT a Z28. It was/is a ZL1. In Gen1 they had 3 SS's 4 if you include the 427 SS. There IS room for a Z28 & a ZL1 as they are different Camaros as designed. The Z28 has never in its history competed against the GT500. The ZL1 has been brought back to do just that, cause the GT500 ain't goin' away.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #326
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
It was not a replacement for the Z28. GM saw what they had created was NOT a Z28. It was/is a ZL1. In Gen1 they had 3 SS's 4 if you include the 427 SS. There IS room for a Z28 & a ZL1 as they are different Camaros as designed. The Z28 has never in its history competed against the GT500. The ZL1 has been brought back to do just that, cause the GT500 ain't goin' away.
,,,no, semantics....it initially was supossed to be the Z/28, that is common knowledge. It turned into the ZL1.....with much forward oversight to create something bigger and better than ever before to continue the project. The project started, stopped, was resurrected, and took on a whole new heigth and meaning than what was initially intended from it's beginning due to the time delay, determination to complete the product, new engineering and development, and vision to dare to do it..
Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #327
Bhobbs

The problem with removing the ZL1 and making the Z/28 the only high performance model is that people would want it to have the performance and the comfort the ZL1 did.
The Z/28 is a pure track car and, in my opinion, stuff like mag suspension, heated/cooled seats, sun roof or anything like that, does not belong in the car. So if GM is lacking the top tier performance with all the comfort goodies, they might go elsewhere.

Last edited by Bhobbs; 03-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #328
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The problem with removing the ZL1 and making the Z/28 the only high performance model is that people would want it to have the performance and the comfort the ZL1 did.
The Z/28 is a pure track car and, in my opinion, stuff like mag suspension, heated/cooled seats, sun roof or anything like that. So if GM is lacking the top tier performance with all the comfort goodies, they might go elsewhere.
Exactly
Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #329
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
,,,no, semantics....it initially was supossed to be the Z/28, that is common knowledge. It turned into the ZL1.....with much forward oversight to create something bigger and better than ever before to continue the project. The project started, stopped, was resurrected, and took on a whole new heigth and meaning than what was initially intended from it's beginning due to the time delay, determination to complete the product, new engineering and development, and vision to dare to do it..
Yes it was the Z28 originally I understand that. However they ended up building something else to compete (not the true to heritage Z28 recipe Fbod spoke of) so what to call it? ZL1 obviously fit the bill.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #330
OldScoolCamaro

Boys, think New World model, not Old World.....having ones cake and eating it too will only make a new design high tech HP model Camaro fail. The Corvette will eventually face the same lesson, only it will be at the KT boundry in the end, and the Camaro will succumb before that. EPA, GOV, fuel efficiency, new materials, manufacturing processes, and cost passed on to consumers make the accountants and marketing consultants give their final recommendations to streamline over what we the few want. It's going to the moon very soon for sticker.....it's a fanciful thought to have them market a few niche cars at an exorbitant price. Read what they are doing, their thoughts, ambitions, goals, and corporate strategy. This is the twilight of the rennasaince of HP. Base, SS, Z/28.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #331
Bhobbs

There's no doubt that the power we have today won't last for ever. Lets just hope today's engineers can figure out how to keep the cars enjoyable even if they don't put down 500 horsepower.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #332
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

This has happened before...Remember the 70's? New tech will prevail again in the future because guys (and gals) like power in their sporty cars.

Bottom line, live in the now and enjoy!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #333
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
If the CEO's request for 15% less weight is realized, then 500+ hp will not be nearly as necessary, to haul the mail, as it is currently...

Less weight with fewer horsies means potentially exciting vehicles using far fewer "oats"...win-win, till the matter of price is known...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #334
OldScoolCamaro

Quote:
This has happened before...Remember the 70's? New tech will prevail again in the future because guys (and gals) like power in their sporty cars.

Bottom line, live in the now and enjoy!
...and that took how many decades?????.....
Old 03-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #335
OldScoolCamaro

...look, I am a protagonist and antagonist to debates as in it is sport for me, and I try to play devils advocate. We are on the same team, let's be open in conversation and debate the issue from one side to the other. Heck, with no clear cut idea in mind of where we are heading, it's the only thing we can do to bide our time until we have more information. A one sided pat on the back all in agreement forum wouldn't be any fun would it?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #336
Bhobbs

Quote:
...look, I am a protagonist and antagonist to debats as in sport for me, and I try to play devils advocate. We are on the same team, let's be open in conversation and debate the issue from one side to the other. Heck, with no clear cut idea in mind of where we are heading, it's the only thing we can do to bide our time until we have more information. A one sided pat on the back all in agreement forum wouldn't be any fun would it?
I want an LS7 Z/28 as bad as most people in the Z forum but I, being a gun owner in the California, have become a realist in the future of our hobby. I know that government and it's regulations, along with the internal regulations of GM, will more than likely prevent another Z/28 along the lines of the first gen being produced ever again. It isn't the 60's where 6 MPG was acceptable, as long as it put down more power than the other guys.