Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

View Poll Results: Are you truely prepared for the next big earthqauke?
100% Ready 1 7.69%
50% Ready 1 7.69%
Don't Care/Not Worried/Does Not Apply To Me 7 53.85%
50% Not Ready 0 0%
100% Not Ready 4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Drives: 2012 1LT RS Victory Red Camaro
Exclamation 20 Years Later... 1994 Northridge Earthquake

Even though its been 20 years, the event that took place molded my life in more ways than I could ever imagine. How did this event (for those of you who live(d) in so cal during) affect you? I would like to hear from all of you, if possible include pictures, videos, etc.

My personal experience was one of terror. I still am fearful of any shaking buildings. I remember the various after shocks. Even when the shaking stopped I would lay awake in bed waiting for the next one. I was only 4 years old when our house was stolen from us shortly after the quake by the bank, like many of those during the housing market crash. I had to live 3/4 of my life in an apartment. I did see some crazy stuff though. I saw and heard the the 118 destroyed at hayvenhurst, the street damage, the atms not working, the valley fever outbreak, the gas mains broken at parthenia, and the bridge collapse at the 5/14 interchange. I remember having to wait in lines with my family at John F Kennedy High for water, because water was in limited supply. Our house slipped off its foundation and unknown to us, the house was not connected to the city's sewage system. We had a septic tank which burst and flooded the back yard and the house. All the doors locked after the quake, we had to break them down to escape. To this day I still cannot fathom the total devastation. $25 Billion is hard to see on paper, even more to see through the eyes of a kid.

--TheKid13
thekid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I was in the military at the time... had come home to SoCal for the first time in two years, and while on leave, experienced a skiing accident which broke my neck... thus, I was still laid up at home for weeks after my scheduled return to duty (broke my C7 in half... but, you'd never know it, as there was no spinal cord damage... yeah, I'm a lucky guy!). Anyway... this unscheduled delay had me home when the Northridge Quake happened. Me, and my folks, and a couple of siblings still living with Mom and Dad just sort of rode the bull, then wordlessly gathered--- at 430AM--- in the family room to view the TV coverage. The shake wasn't so bad at our house... but a mild shake in one place often means that it HARD somewhere else. That was indeed the case with the Northridge Quake.

Hard to believe that was 20 years ago today...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I was awake Wed,when the one that was centered in Fontana hit at 1:30 AM.It hit hard for only like 4 seconds,then that was it.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I was awake Wed,when the one that was centered in Fontana hit at 1:30 AM.It hit hard for only like 4 seconds,then that was it.
Funny thing is, that happened TWICE this week, each around 130AM, centered in Fontana... I think it was Tuesday morning and Wednesday morning? Or was it Wednesday and Thursday? Whatever... almost exactly 24 hours apart... and Corona shook a little, too, this week...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I was in the military at the time... had come home to SoCal for the first time in two years, and while on leave, experienced a skiing accident which broke my neck... thus, I was still laid up at home for weeks after my scheduled return to duty (broke my C7 in half... but, you'd never know it, as there was no spinal cord damage... yeah, I'm a lucky guy!). Anyway... this unscheduled delay had me home when the Northridge Quake happened. Me, and my folks, and a couple of siblings still living with Mom and Dad just sort of rode the bull, then wordlessly gathered--- at 430AM--- in the family room to view the TV coverage. The shake wasn't so bad at our house... but a mild shake in one place often means that it HARD somewhere else. That was indeed the case with the Northridge Quake.

Hard to believe that was 20 years ago today...
Yeah even though our house was technically destroyed, you and I are both luck because we survived, 57 didn't. Good to hear from you.

--TheKid13
Old 01-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
I was still living with my mom 20 years ago still in school, and I remember sleeping through most of it until I got woken up by my dad as the several hundred pound wall that separated us from our house and the neighbors house started to fall over onto our house where I was sleeping. If I wasn't pulled away I probably wouldn't have died, but I would have certainly been dismembered, so I certainly do remember that quake living in the valley at the time.

I spent the rest of the night sleeping in the backseat of my dad's Volvo station wagon with our 100lbs German Shepherd who kept me company...
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Was there any damage in your neighborhood?

--TheKid13
Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains.com View Post
I was still living with my mom 20 years ago still in school, and I remember sleeping through most of it until I got woken up by my dad as the several hundred pound wall that separated us from our house and the neighbors house started to fall over onto our house where I was sleeping. If I wasn't pulled away I probably wouldn't have died, but I would have certainly been dismembered, so I certainly do remember that quake living in the valley at the time.

I spent the rest of the night sleeping in the backseat of my dad's Volvo station wagon with our 100lbs German Shepherd who kept me company...

Wow... Yeah a retaining wall fell into my sisters room and crashed all the appliances just inches from her head. A huge tv and cabinet pinned the door. My dad had to hack the door down with an axe. My brothers bunk bed pinned him for a bit under the top bed. Memories...

--TheKid13
Old 01-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
thekid13
Christian Martinez

8 seconds... Only 8 secs... $25 billion, 57 dead, 5000+ injured. All it took was 8 secs. The 1964 Alaska earthquake was 9.2 and lasted 5 mins. Can not believe it was only 8 secs...

--TheKid13
Old 01-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I cannot relate to an earthquake, I don't live where one is likely, or a major one anyway. But I feel you on shaking builkdings still getting to you. I won't ever be the same concerning tornadoes and inclement weather after April 27, 2011. Grey clouds coming in always mess with me now.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid13 View Post
Was there any damage in your neighborhood?

--TheKid13
No,no damage at all,i heard a couple windows broke in Fontana,but that's all i heard. I remember the Northridge quake very well.Thats when i was married to devil womanwe were living in Garden Grove.The house we rented had a pool,and i have never seen anything like that.The pool lost 4' of water in just seconds,that was a wild earthquake,those poor people in Northridge.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
thekid13
Christian Martinez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
I cannot relate to an earthquake, I don't live where one is likely, or a major one anyway. But I feel you on shaking builkdings still getting to you. I won't ever be the same concerning tornadoes and inclement weather after April 27, 2011. Grey clouds coming in always mess with me now.
You can relate better than most. Any natural disaster(s) have similar devastating effects. True we will never be the same, but we will survive. What doesn't kill us can only make us stronger. We are resilient like our cars. We may disappear for years at a time but when we come back people will rejoice.

--TheKid13
Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Drives: 2010 IBM RS/SS, 2018 Toyota Tacoma
I'm old enough to remember the Sylmar quake in 1971. Was in college in NorCal for the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 - I lived on the fifth floor of an all concrete dorm and that was scary. Graduated soon after and back to the San Gabriel Valley for the Northridge Quake in 1994. I missed the Whittier quake in 1987. As for damage in 1994, none to speak of at my place, but I work on the edge of the SFV and we had some minor damage at work.

As for being prepared, the house/foundation is bolted, plenty of supplies and water to go along with the generator and the well-stocked gun safe (quiet - don't tell the rulers of the "people republic" that there is a gun safe within their borders!). I figure that the infrastructure of my state is so screwed up that I would rather depend upon myself than the resources my taxes pay for - plus I bought a really cool crossbow awhile back if I run out of ammo!
Speed Kills is offline   Reply With Quote