Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Stovall-SS

Drives: 2010 SS RS M6
Help needed with Twin Turbo's set up

Hello, I have a 2010 SS Camaro 2SS RS Manual. That I am looking to put twin Turbos on. I really like Granatelli twin turbo kit the most. Does anyone have any thoughts on this kit besides what is posted?

1. My main question is what should be done to the motor before installing this kit?
2. I would like to buy different heads. What heads are recommended for a twin turbo kit trying to make about 600RWHP to 700RWHP?
3. I already have a FAST Ls3 102mm intake manifold, will this help make more HP with twins or no? "still havent installed"
4. What exhaust would you recommend with Twins? "Sound & performance"

This is a great site. Ive been reading in all the forums scents I got my Camaro, waiting & wanting to do things to it ever scents. My only problem is im only home 30 days outa the year.
Due to the fact that I am a privet contractor in Bagram Afghanistan, and uncle Sam will have his way with me "or my check" if I am home more then 30 days outa the hole year.

Any help would be very much appreciated to all.

Thanks in advance....
Stovall-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovall-SS View Post
Hello, I have a 2010 SS Camaro 2SS RS Manual. That I am looking to put twin Turbos on. I really like Granatelli twin turbo kit the most. Does anyone have any thoughts on this kit besides what is posted?

1. My main question is what should be done to the motor before installing this kit?
2. I would like to buy different heads. What heads are recommended for a twin turbo kit trying to make about 600RWHP to 700RWHP?
3. I already have a FAST Ls3 102mm intake manifold, will this help make more HP with twins or no? "still havent installed"

This is a great site. Ive been reading in all the forums scents I got my Camaro, waiting & wanting to do things to it ever scents. My only problem is im only home 30 days outa the year.
Due to the fact that I am a privet contractor in Bagram Afghanistan, and uncle Sam will have his way with me "or my check" if I am home more then 30 days outa the hole year.

Any help would be very much appreciated to all.

Thanks in advance....

Simply stated - you need nothing but the turbo kit to make 600 rwhp. The FAST manifold is worth 23 to 25hp on the N/A motor but once the turbos go pressure it makes up for what ever is in its way.

HEADS - while you do not needs aftermarket heads to make the power you want, certainly better heads helps the motor to breath and that means more power with less boost required.

Granatelli offers CNC ported heads on exchange as do many other companies out there. My personal favorite heads right now are the LSX LS7 heads. However it will require you exchange your manifold for the LS7 port version

really all you need is the TT kit to make 600rwhp.

700 rwhp - I would say you need to seriously consider our short block with all forged internals.

We are happy to go over a complete program with you. 805-486-6644
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

1.) Nothing NEEDS to be done. Anything extra is just gravy.
2.) Better heads are not NEEDED. See #1
3.) Bigger plenum is almost always better in a FI situation.
4.) Exhaust is preference. I'd stay stock for now and see how you like the sound. If you want more, look around.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Congrats with your choice. Don't forget the company who manufactures this kit has years of Turbo kit development experience.
if you look at post #15, you'll see I posted their kit for Corvette, just to illustrate their work.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64335

Good luck

p.s. BTW, the default font used for this site is pretty good.

Last edited by Z_Rocks; 07-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
Stovall-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
Simply stated - you need nothing but the turbo kit to make 600 rwhp. The FAST manifold is worth 23 to 25hp on the N/A motor but once the turbos go pressure it makes up for what ever is in its way.

HEADS - while you do not needs aftermarket heads to make the power you want, certainly better heads helps the motor to breath and that means more power with less boost required.

Granatelli offers CNC ported heads on exchange as do many other companies out there. My personal favorite heads right now are the LSX LS7 heads. However it will require you exchange your manifold for the LS7 port version

really all you need is the TT kit to make 600rwhp.

700 rwhp - I would say you need to seriously consider our short block with all forged internals.

We are happy to go over a complete program with you. 805-486-6644
Well I didnt know that... Thank you very much for the info. I will be giving you a call shortly. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Stovall-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Congrats with your choice. Don't forget the company who manufactures this kit has years of Turbo kit development experience.
if you look at post #15, you'll see I posted their kit for Corvette, just to illustrate their work. http://www.camaro5.com/forums
/showthread.php?t=64335

Good luck

p.s. BTW, the default font used for this site is pretty good.
I dont know if its my limited access on the base here or what, but I cant see the thread you are talking about here.

And I didnt change anything on the font. Maybe because I used my email to type it up before paisting it here.

Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Z_Rocks

Quote:
I dont know if its my limited access on the base here or what, but I cant see the thread you are talking about here.

And I didnt change anything on the font. Maybe because I used my email to type it up before paisting it here.

Thanks again.
I just fixed the link. Try clicking on the link on my post again.

Very likely the fonts came from your email program. As you can see your original post had a different Font and Size embedded, where as your new posts had used the default.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Making how much power you are shooting for, you are going to want a 3" exhaust. 3" would be unnecessary for under about 500rwhp, but will help with gains in the power department you are going for. Heads will help breathing, like others have said and give some power. The main thing I would do is upgrade my drivetrain, because it isn't made to handle that much power.
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
I have been runing TT's on my Vette for 8 years now. My 2 cents would be to get rid of the pistons, then rods and crank if you can afford. Buy the pistons and rings specifically for forced induction as they can handle the increased temps and pressures much better that factory NA parts can. Plus, you can lower the CR somewhat to gain in tuning and combustion chamber volume for even more added power. Granatelli can advise accordingly. Forging the short block can only help and not hurt IMHO. One last thing is that turbos do not need "rock and roll" cams that NA motors do. Granatelli, jump in here and comment. Good luck Turbos rule.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 AM   #10
Stovall-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Having Twin Turbo is like being with two women at the same time....
OMG I wanna be that guy again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
I have been runing TT's on my Vette for 8 years now. My 2 cents would be to get rid of the pistons, then rods and crank if you can afford. Buy the pistons and rings specifically for forced induction as they can handle the increased temps and pressures much better that factory NA parts can. Plus, you can lower the CR somewhat to gain in tuning and combustion chamber volume for even more added power. Granatelli can advise accordingly. Forging the short block can only help and not hurt IMHO. One last thing is that turbos do not need "rock and roll" cams that NA motors do. Granatelli, jump in here and comment. Good luck Turbos rule.
8 years now huh? whats the HP your putting out? Ive had a turboed 98 v-6 S-10 "witch I blew up twice" but after the 3rd time I had a local shop build it. I never got it Dyno'ed but from what Ive experienced Im thinking I really need to have a short block built, and go ahead and get the LS7 heads. I think spending the money and building a more dependable motor will be a better long term investment. Hell I may have to go over my 700RWHP mark I was shooting for.....

I will be getting with Granatelli soon as I go home, to hopefully get a full Motor & Turbo's setup installed.

This might be a stupid question but, Granatelli does everything in house right? Do you guys have a Dyno also? And what is the turn around time on working a motor and installing turbos?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Z_Rocks

Quote:
OMG I wanna be that guy again!!
You will! You will!
BTW, what do you mean "again"? I guess we have at some point of our lives, but it's nice to do it again.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
I have a twin turbo setup and run Corsa for exhaust....it works great! I love my TT, you'll love it!!!
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
I agree 101% - that is why I always say keep the stock cams. Also tghe crank is not that bad but if you do the pistons, do the rods as well - that way we can balance it all once
Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHEOX View Post
Making how much power you are shooting for, you are going to want a 3" exhaust. 3" would be unnecessary for under about 500rwhp, but will help with gains in the power department you are going for. Heads will help breathing, like others have said and give some power. The main thing I would do is upgrade my drivetrain, because it isn't made to handle that much power.
3" certainly helps but it is not required for guys that do not want LOUD cars