Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
DIY: change Brake Pads/ rotors

I noticed awhile back that a few people were asking for a DIY for changing pads and rotors with some pictures. I figured I could snap a few pics when I was installing my new Hawk pads and write one up quick.

Tools Needed:

1/2" drive breaker bar with 3"-5" extension
1/2" drive ratchet
18mm and 22mm Socket
Torque Wrench
1/8" pin punch and hammer
T30 torx bit
wire coat hanger
floor jack and jack stand(s)
Optional - 2 C-clamps

Name:  tools.jpg
Views: 74025
Size:  103.9 KB

First break loose the lug nuts with the breaker bar, extension and 22mm socket. Next jack up the vehicle, secure with jack stand, and remove the wheel.

Name:  no wheel.jpg
Views: 86580
Size:  100.0 KB

Next step will be to loosen the pins that hold the break pads in. (this is much easier when the caliper is still bolted to the car) Using your 1/8" punch and hammer, hit these 2 pins so that they are broken loose.

Name:  pin close up.jpg
Views: 78842
Size:  102.3 KB

If you are only chaning the pads and don't intend to remove the rotors you may remove the pins completely and pull the brake pads out the top of the caliper. You might need to use a screw driver to pry the pads out by putting it thru the pin hole and prying up against the caliper. After getting the pads out you will need to push the pistons back into the caliper to make room for the new wider pad. I was able to do this by just removing the cap from the brake fluid resivoir and pushing them back squarely with my fingers. I only removed one pad at a time so the pistons on the other side of the caliper had nowhere to go and the fluid went back into the resivoir. Drop the new pads in, put the bottom pin all of the way thru and use your hammer to seat it back into position. next insert flat gold hold down spring under the bottom pin. Push down on the top of the spring so you can slide the other pin over it and into place. Seat that pin with the hammer and you are done.

Name:  top of caliper.jpg
Views: 63604
Size:  91.9 KB

If you are removing the rotor as well, or if you want a simpler way to get the new pads into the caliper, you will need to remove the caliper. You will need the ratchet and 18mm socket to remove the 2 bolts on the back side of the caliper that hold it onto the car.

Name:  caliper bolts.jpg
Views: 77867
Size:  88.7 KB

DO NOT let the caliper hang by the break line. Use your wire coat hanger to hang the caliper from the spring.

Name:  hanger.jpg
Views: 61710
Size:  85.2 KB

If you are chaning your pads with the caliper off you will still need to completely remove both of the pins holding in the pads. if you wish to use the C-clamps to retract the pistons, then don't remove your old pads yet. Use them to squarely and evenly push back the pistons with the C clamps. From that point changing the pads is the same as in the description above. I personally take the rotors off and rub them with some 240grit emery cloth or have them turned to get any residue from the old pads off.

Name:  c clamps.jpg
Views: 77806
Size:  94.1 KB

To Remove the rotor you will need to remove the T30 torx bolt from the rotor. After removing that bolt it should just pull straight off. *NOTE* if removing a back rotor you must have the E-brake disengaged in order to pull it off.

Name:  torx bolt.jpg
Views: 87257
Size:  86.1 KB

To put everything back together simply to the reverse of how you took it apart. Make sure when you tighten your lug nuts back up you tighten them to the proper torque spec for your wheels. Factory wheel torques can be found in the owners manual under Capacities and Specs.

Last edited by Big Brunsy; 03-20-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Very nice writeup. I replaced my roller skates with Hawk ceramic, but I had my dealer do it because I didn't feel comfortable. But if I ever do my rotors, this will be bookmarked.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
Great write-up....I'll put this in the "To-Do" list!!! THANKS!
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Excellent

Excellent write up. I will use this for reference in the future when the time comes for some hawks.Darn dust anyway.Eh !
Old 03-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Big Brunsy

Thanks, it was my first one. I get so much from this site I just wanted to contribute something.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
hybenz

Drives: '94 Camaro Z28
I was able to change my brake pads for the first time using your DIY instructions. Thanks. Hope you can add some videos about how to replace brake pads in the future..

Last edited by hybenz; 03-26-2011 at 05:02 AM.
hybenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
faSSt
**Sold n' Sad**

Drives: 11 F150 Supercrew FX4 5.0
Great write up, it will sure help C5 members save money doing it themselves.

The only thing i wanted to clarify for other members new to DIY brake work is the 'turning' of the rotors. I know you stated you sometimes have them turned to remove old brake pad residue. My suggestion for getting the rotors turned is to level out the grooves the old pads made. This fresh turned rotor is now completely flat which allows the new brake pads to "bed" properly to the flat surface of the rotors which is important in getting the best performance & life out of your brakes.

Just my thoughts, it's only two more bolts to remove the caliper, along with the torx that hold each rotor on....dont stop short go the rest of the way and get them rotors turned!

I have NAPA and oriely's auto who can turn rotors, It's around $5 per rotor
2011 Camaro 2SS, SIM, 6M, HUD, 10% tint, black out lenses, SS emblems, TSP 304 LT's, Roto-Fab, MGW shifter, gto res, 8K BFXENON, HP Tuners, Redline Fluids. ***Sold*** Now in an 11' F150 supercrew FX4.
Still addicted to the this forum
faSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Cool! Do most of these steps apply to the V6 brakes? The single piston? I never knew you had to disengage the handbrake to remove the rear rotors! I learn something new everyday =D
Old 04-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Cool! Do most of these steps apply to the V6 brakes? The single piston? I never knew you had to disengage the handbrake to remove the rear rotors! I learn something new everyday =D
No. The V6 doesn't have the pads you can change without removing the caliper. Other then that, it's pretty similar. You don't need the punch as the pads will come out once you remove the caliper. On the brembos, they won't.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
thanks for that info!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
How about the rears? I know on my mustang you need a special tool to turn the piston back in because that is how the e-brake works
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
SSRob

Drives: Acura RSX Type S
Sweet write up. Thanks. Sorry if this is a stupid question but by opening the reservoir using your approach and hanging the caliper from the wire if it is removed, does this eliminate any need to bleed the brakes?
SSRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
Big Brunsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
How about the rears? I know on my mustang you need a special tool to turn the piston back in because that is how the e-brake works
The E-brake on the Camaro is kind of like a drum brake inside the rotor, so no special tools required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRob View Post
Sweet write up. Thanks. Sorry if this is a stupid question but by opening the reservoir using your approach and hanging the caliper from the wire if it is removed, does this eliminate any need to bleed the brakes?
you are not removing any brake lines, so there should be no way for air to get into the brake line. So you do not have to bleed the brakes.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
[QUOTE=Big Brunsy;3101620]The E-brake on the Camaro is kind of like a drum brake inside the rotor, so no special tools required.

That's like the rears on my F150! But my Mustang is totally different! Thanks for the info!