Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
L99 Resonator - Replace with X-Pipe

I have an auto 2010 Camaro (L99) with Kooks Headers, Hi-Flo cats and SLP Loudmouth II mufflers in rear ---- with the big stock center resonator. This combo produces the sound I like along with a little extra hp. (AFM has been tuned out).

BUT that big resonator has developed a "rattle" inside (I believe this is common for some early models). Apparently the baffle welds let go.

I plan to replace the resonator with a X-Pipe (see JEGS). Has anyone with a similar L99 setup done this?? I wonder if this will induce drone. Any input is welcome.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
it might up the drone factor. but if you like the tone and not the drone j-pipes are what you need. kills drone at the desired frequency
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
GoldBowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
it might up the drone factor. but if you like the tone and not the drone j-pipes are what you need. kills drone at the desired frequency
Thanks for the info, I have zero drone now and was hoping the X-Pipe didn't create significant drone. J-Pipes would be my Plan-B, if needed.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
I changed my resonator for an x-pipe and the exhaust tone became a bit raspy, I then went with a resonated x-pipe and it sounds much better.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBowtie View Post
Thanks for the info, I have zero drone now and was hoping the X-Pipe didn't create significant drone. J-Pipes would be my Plan-B, if needed.
its what i would do and is proven to work as long as you match up the length of the j pipe correctly with the frequency.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I have the L99, headers, no cats, stock mufflers, no AFM, no DOD. I replaced the resonator with an X-pipe and it made almost no sound difference at all and did not introduce any drone. Perhaps its the stock mufflers that prevent it. It can't be any other part of the exhaust since I replaced all of it.
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms & Toe Links & Control Arm Bushings & End Links - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles & Driveshaft - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - AutoMeter A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure Gauges - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
GoldBowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Custom_Painted View Post
I have the L99, headers, no cats, stock mufflers, no AFM, no DOD. I replaced the resonator with an X-pipe and it made almost no sound difference at all and did not introduce any drone. Perhaps its the stock mufflers that prevent it. It can't be any other part of the exhaust since I replaced all of it.
Thanks for this input. My system will be similar - except Hi-Flow cats (which, have little volume or restriction) and Loudmouth II's. I'm looking forward to the change now, and getting rid of the annoying rattle that has ruined the sound.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
i used a summit xpipe and couldn't be happier, but I do not have headers though
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
Juice2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS
I have muffler deletes and the Jegs x pipe. Drone only under half throttle. I am going to add some glasspacks behind the x and before the axles.
Juice2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #10
gafool

Drives: 2010 1SS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11fastss View Post
i used a summit xpipe and couldn't be happier, but I do not have headers though
same here plus i have headers
gafool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
REVOLUTION1

Drives: 2010 CAMARO TURBO SS
I have a friend that has done this exact set up from Jegs, he has never mentioned drone, I have not yet rode in it since he did it so I cant say for sure, but the owner really likes it.
REVOLUTION1 is offline   Reply With Quote