Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Paint Warranty Work......... Should I be concerned?

Dealer said he doesn't see a problem as far as getting GM to approve the work and paint the whole deck lid. Should I be concerned about a repaint?

Name:  DSC00407.JPG
Views: 2736
Size:  191.2 KB

Name:  DSC00408.JPG
Views: 2709
Size:  258.2 KB

Name:  DSC00409.JPG
Views: 3415
Size:  294.8 KB

Name:  DSC00410.JPG
Views: 2749
Size:  350.2 KB
Old 10-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
How did that happen in the first place? Did the paint just come off? Looks like something rubbed it but that's probably not the case.

Man....that sucks.

How are they wanting to fix it if they aren't going to paint the whole decklid?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

They are. He said they'de have to repsint the whole deck lid and rabadge it. Could have been the spoiler vibrating against it before it was tightened. I went a while before I knew about the spoilers being loose.

I thought it was wax at first.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Sorry....misread it at first.

I would think that re-painting the whole decklid would be the best way to make it look good...especially since you are dealing with black. I'm not a painter though. If it were my car I would want the whole decklid done.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Sorry....misread it at first.

I would think that re-painting the whole decklid would be the best way to make it look good...especially since you are dealing with black. I'm not a painter though. If it were my car I would want the whole decklid done.
Oh most definitely. I just worry that they will be different blacks or clears.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
Best way to handle that is to remove the spoiler and badge then repaint the entire deck lid. With black you pretty much have to do that in order for it to look nice. It will be bloody obvious it's a patch job if they don't.

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Oh most definitely. I just worry that they will be different blacks or clears.
Well, yes there are different blacks. Some have green yellow or blue tints in the formula. However, if your dealer's bodyshop is worth a damn, they will get it right. Ask them if they are using urethane clear, what brand of paint, and if they are wetsanding the final clearcoat and buffing it. They should to make it look perfect.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
You may want them to repaint the spoiler as well so if the trunk lid is just a "hair" off color-wise it will not be noticeable.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalenn View Post
Best way to handle that is to remove the spoiler and badge then repaint the entire deck lid. With black you pretty much have to do that in order for it to look nice. It will be bloody obvious it's a patch job if they don't.
Yup, that's how he said it would be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallysport View Post
Well, yes there are different blacks. Some have green yellow or blue tints in the formula. However, if your dealer's bodyshop is worth a damn, they will get it right. Ask them if they are using urethane clear, what brand of paint, and if they are wetsanding the final clearcoat and buffing it. They should to make it look perfect.
Shouldn't they have the same formula, color, Clear and finish as the factory?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
You may want them to repaint the spoiler as well so if the trunk lid is just a "hair" off color-wise it will not be noticeable.
I'll tell them. He didn't cover that part.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
We had our whole rear bumper painted (search for the post)they did a good job, but I was concerned, looks like the spoiler moving, I put those nuts that have the teflon in the middle on ours, I need to check to make sure they are still tight. Good luck sorry.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4PK View Post
We had our whole rear bumper painted (search for the post)they did a good job, but I was concerned, looks like the spoiler moving, I put those nuts that have the teflon in the middle on ours, I need to check to make sure they are still tight. Good luck sorry.
I see yours is Red?

Did the dealer do the work and do you know if they used factory paint?
Old 10-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Pq first off im sorry for the paint coming off I would so take it back to the dealer and yes let them paint it.
I just recently bought some paint and we got on the topic of how many different colors/shades there are of each color.
Black has 61 paint codes lol
Gm , dodge , Ford , FiatI mean dodge lol Bmw , Toyota and etc.

He explained these companies forinstance like Gm have the paint codes of whatever color they are going to use. They send it to the company that mixes there paints and they mix sometimes up to 6 different colors to make one. This is done by machine so its 100% to the color. Also a Factory paint code on a Factory Car looks like it was done at the factory first time around. I'm sure your dealer or service department has a good painter most Gm painters are good compared to companies like ford. Around here 2 local Ford dealers use Gm's body shop lol
Anyways They will match the paint !!!!!! Just keep in mind Red , ORange and Black are Big time orange peel colors so look for orange peel if you do get it thats an easy fix just have them give it a good wet sand

have no worries it will be ok. PROMISE

If a Machine can Mix DaytonaYellow it will Mix your black lol All I did was go in and say the year and what color and they gave it to me and it matches 100%
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
Kalenn
Fan of all things Camaro

Drives: '13 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport
Spoke to a buddy who works at a local Chevy dealership. They order the paint directly from GM so they will use the same color as was used at the factory. "The service guy will get the paint code from the plate." I would assume the plate is his way of saying the door frame sticker or something similar? You should see no difference in color what so ever. If you do then take it back and have them do it again until you're satisfied. I agree with the previous poster that they should re-finish the spoiler as well just to be safe.

He said it's a three day job at the most. One day to remove, clean and prep the deck lid, one day to paint and one day to cure, sand and shine it up.

"E for electricity... V For Chevy Volt and me!"
Kalenn is offline   Reply With Quote