Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #127
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
LOL ... You gents have fun, I'm heading out to a weekly car show at our Quaker Steak & Lube ... I've got the itch to row a few gears now after reading this all day ...
Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #128
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
^I laughed out loud on that one!!!
FINALLY! Someone around here with a sense of hummer...was that too many mmmmms?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #129
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
LOL ... You gents have fun, I'm heading out to a weekly car show at our Quaker Steak & Lube ... I've got the itch to row a few gears now after reading this all day ...
Enjoy!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #130
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
One color? Yeah that'll sell cars. NOT!
Me too I thought it would be a hinderance. But the red does look good on my desktop. I like the black hood. But I know not everyone will. Hopefully it's not paint.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #131
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Me too I thought it would be a hinderance. But the red does look good on my desktop. I like the black hood. But I know not everyone will. Hopefully it's not paint.
Pretty sure it's a wrap. Don't have time to find it but I think I remember fbodfather saying it can be removed.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #132
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The point here is not whether you disagree, but how you say it. And never escalate. Both good things to keep in mind in any forum.

One problem with the section is it is hard to quickly get the essence of the Z28 if you are not aware of how it got started. Which is why it needs a sticky that says: Read this first.

Everyone here knows the Z28 is not for sure. But then again there are enough GM insiders on here that could diffuse this section with one post. And that has not happened. I think Chevrolet is still deciding and that the GM enthusiasts want it but may be having trouble justifying a third specialty performance Camaro.

We will just have to wait and see.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #133
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
Well, it obvious that GM has played the SS and Z/28 game a number of times over the 5 generations. How about really stirring the pot with the IROC in Gen 3. It boils down to there is only one Chevrolet to ever carry the Z/28 name, that being the Camaro. There was the feeble attempt of giving it's weak sister the Cavalier the Z/24 name. But since 1961 the SS name has been doned and tainted on many unworthy models.

You can bet the next Z/28 will have a different engine than the SS and never be used on another model.
IROC would be weird to bring back. They don't even run the "International Race of Champions" anymore, nor does anyone really care about that race's history to warrant bringing it out of retirement (although I admit, I loved the IROC when it came out, and didn't give a crap about the race series).

Z/28, RS, and SS are all Chevy badges to do with what they will. The "Z" numbers were (are?) just generic trim/package codes created by some accountant or bean counter. "Rally Sport" and "Super Sport" are just marketing terms, sort of like "GTO" = "Gran Tourismo Omlogato" i.e. homlogated touring (race) car, but that wasn't really the case. I'm sure some Camaros ended up in rally races, but they weren't homologation specials like what RS means in Europe.

What's most important is they were on cool cars, and that's what people remember. And GM is making cool enough cars to put those badges on again without being sacrilegious. The LS1 Z/28 had a great motor but that's about it. Apparently GM is waiting for the right time to put that badge on the 5th gens, because it's been considered the pinnacle of Camaro-ness, so they don't want to blow their wad too soon in the battle against the Mustangs.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #134
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
remember the 90's. Z34's and other cars with the ZXX markings? Z's have been used on a lot of cars also. granted they were all their own designation. but the Z was still there.
I do very well but when did you ever see a Z28 badge on a Malibu, HHR, Silverado, Tahoe, Impala, or Cobalt NEVER yes all of those models you could get in the SS package...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #135
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
I do very well but when did you ever see a Z28 badge on a Malibu, HHR, Silverado, Tahoe, Impala, or Cobalt NEVER yes all of those models you could get in the SS package...
the point was ZXX was used on a lot of different vehicles then. and some not so deserving of that designation. Some people could view the Z28 as one of those type of vehicles. But you're right the only one with Z28 was a camaro. you don't have to lecture me on that. I've been around here screaming for a Z28 for years. sometimes I had to not come on here because I ended up selling my 4th gen Z28 and didn't know when I was getting a 5th gen. now that I own an SS vert I feel I have a reason to come back. But instead of browsing the rest of the forum a lot I end up in this section. Why? Because I want a Z28, still.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #136
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
the point was ZXX was used on a lot of different vehicles then. and some not so deserving of that designation. Some people could view the Z28 as one of those type of vehicles. But you're right the only one with Z28 was a camaro. you don't have to lecture me on that. I've been around here screaming for a Z28 for years. sometimes I had to not come on here because I ended up selling my 4th gen Z28 and didn't know when I was getting a 5th gen. now that I own an SS vert I feel I have a reason to come back. But instead of browsing the rest of the forum a lot I end up in this section. Why? Because I want a Z28, still.
Thanks for being here BMR and all you do for us.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #137
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
The point here is not whether you disagree, but how you say it. And never escalate. Both good things to keep in mind in any forum.

One problem with the section is it is hard to quickly get the essence of the Z28 if you are not aware of how it got started. Which is why it needs a sticky that says: Read this first.

Everyone here knows the Z28 is not for sure. But then again there are enough GM insiders on here that could diffuse this section with one post. And that has not happened. I think Chevrolet is still deciding and that the GM enthusiasts want it but may be having trouble justifying a third specialty performance Camaro.

We will just have to wait and see.
Very well done. I'll add this, if you want something bad you'd better make sure your heard.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #138
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
My first Camaro was a Z-28... 305 4 barrel, (I got mad at it and sold it after getting beat by a girl in a Fiero GT) so I guess the name isn't my biggest concern, but I find all of this entertaining none-the-less.
...I understand your line of thought. And that was then. Much earlier the prowess with the brand name was well established. Things changed over an evolutionary process with the vehicle and the period of time it was manufactured. One's perception is grounded and everlasting with their experience at that point of time. Just like cops, most people perceive them to be and feel how they are based upon their first encounter with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Then you'd expect those folks to avoid this Section, like the plague...
Sound logic.
Quote:
I prefer to be optimistic. Negativity breeds like a plague. Don't need it. I'm sorry if you had a bad experience. I think the current Camaros have come a long way. Myself I left American made cars for some time due to poor quality, but I'm back. They are proving themselves regularly.
...and how!. I have watched the evolutionary progress over decades like many of us here and I am astounded where we are at this given point of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...which automatically entitles you to be the 7TH OLD FART, here...
...don't jump to conclusions....you old fart....LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps69Z View Post
Thanks for being here BMR and all you do for us.
....and I agree wholeheartedly!
Quote:
Very well done. I'll add this, if you want something bad you'd better make sure your heard.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #139
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
I love Camaros, but I am not in love with one model designation. I had a the above mentioned 84 (the only auto trans of the bunch), followed by a 92 RS (305TBI and a 5 speed) that was a nice car, but not a great performance car. Then a 1996 Z28 that I loved and put more miles on than any other Camaro (not a "track ready" car, but still fun), a 99 SS that was probably my overall favorite and my 2010 SS that I recently sold, the best overall car, but did not have the raw edge of my modified 99 SS. I have autocrossed, drag-raced, or track-dayed all but the first one, so the total performance of the car means a lot to me. I am looking forward to the 1LE and plan to do what it takes to make it around 500 hp, but would certainly consider a future Z28 if the price point and performance works out. I would love to own a first gen Z/28 someday, but it would be a collector piece, not a daily driver or track car, so for now I would rather spend my money on the closest modern day equivalent.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #140
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

How did you make out on selling your 2010 SS?

Tags
wtf is a z28?