Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #15
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Personal preference, and if you're going to do do heavy mods like a cam shaft, you're going to spend more money due to the fact you have to get a stall and other things unlike the LS3. Sometimes I wish I had an automatic because sitting in traffic having to clutch for 1-2 hours will get very frustrating to the point that you're hoping that traffic goes to a complete stand still for at least 10 minutes.

I love my LS3, and if the SS had came with an LS3 for automatic that's what I would have bought. Ever since owning a LS1 GTO and LS2 GTO, I just couldn't fathom going to anything but an LS motor.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #16
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
As others have pointed out, personal preference. I have driven manuals practically the whole time I have been driving. Personally, I feel more in control with a stick/standard/manual. In an automatic, I feel that I have to wait on the tranny to do the shifting, duh. But I'd rather make the shift points myself. I think you can also modify the compression or vacuum advance to control your shift points in an automatic transmission. A little more research.
Troy Lawson
Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #17
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
I keep hearing this over and over so I'll just ask...Please explain how you feel more in control with a manual.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:56 AM   #18
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
I keep hearing this over and over so I'll just ask...Please explain how you feel more in control with a manual.
Well I drive an auto and I can answer this. When you are driving your auto and getting to cruising speed but see someone come into your lane, you car will most likely shift up on its own, putting you into a higher gear either making it harder to speed up or slow down or stop. That split second it takes to downshift can be all that it takes. I always drive in manual mode and it takes forever to down shift. You can down shift and watch it go to M2 to M1, put it to the floor and it takes a second to get moving.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #19
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
lol this car doesnt come in manual.... silly...
2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition V6/A6: Cold Air Inductions Intake, Trifecta tune, BBK long tube headers and Hi flow cats, MRT V1, Ported Throttle Body, Stage 4 Ported Intake Manifold (MACE), Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold Spacer, Plenum Spacer, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous.
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #20
SGG

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Re

I have an auto and love it. Here is part of an article from Hot Rod Magazine talking about what breaks on Camaro's

"
6L80 Six-Speed Automatic
This new-gen GM trans is so sophisticated that it has a separate computer (TCM or transmission control module). Incorrect TCM tuning causes more problems than hard-parts failures.
TCM calibration: Reprogramming is required when changing engine rpm range, shift points, or rearend gear ratio. A significant power change increases engine acceleration rate, which changes the amount of trans slip; both impact when the shift needs to occur compared with when the TCM calculates it should occur. HPTuners has reprogramming software.
TAPshift lag: When enabled, on-demand manual gear changes are made via steering wheel paddles. TAPshift permits holding a specific gear around a road course without fear that the trans might upshift or downshift during a turn and destabilize the car. It also works well for a burnout, but input lag creates straight-line acceleration issues; for drag racing, reprogram to upshift automatically at a desired shift rpm.
Torque management damage: Disabling torque management completely can cause failures. LPE says, "With a clutch-to-clutch trans like the 6L80, some torque management is needed to reduce the torque momentarily and allow time for the clutch for the desired gear to engage."
Torque converter (500-plus horsepower): LPE reports zero failures, IPS is confident through 500 hp, and Livernois says it has "a stock converter in a '10 Camaro that makes over 750 hp with close to 100 quarter-mile runs along with street driving." Precision Industries, TCI, Yank, and others sell high-stall converters. A triple-disc converter and custom trans tuning will ensure the converter stays locked up in Overdrive even on high-power mills.
Hard-parts failures (over 575 hp): With correct programming, Livernois and others report minimal internal hard-parts failures through 575 to 600 hp. Rossler builds beefed 6L80s. It says the 3-5 reverse clutch usually fails first, followed by the 4-5-6 clutch: "We add more clutches, machine special steels, and use better materials." Fully built Rossler 6L80s have withstood 1,000 hp on a chassis dyno; 750 hp is more realistic for long-term street durability

TTC TR-6060 Six-Speed Manual
Like stick-shift Dodges and Shelby Mustangs, V8 Camaros use TTC TR-6060 six-speeds. Enabling GM's launch control feature can minimize the chances of trans or rearend failure. RPM Transmissions' fully blueprinted Level 6 TR-6060 can handle more than 1,000 hp. "
SGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:05 AM   #21
SGG

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph09 View Post
So I have a automatic SS and I usually get a hard time from people about not having a manual. Is there a big difference between difference especially in regards to performance?
Just ask them if they want go settle it at the track. From my experience the manual trans guys sit there and spin their tires unless they have slicks or drag radials. My stock SS beat a ZL1 because he just spun the tires for the first 60 feet while my automatic did all the work and sent me straight line down the track.
SGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 AM   #22
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
people are stupid
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #23
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Autos have remote start too.
Game. Over.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #24
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
This Thread.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #25
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
That's the one thing I missed when I traded my duramax for my 1LE.....remote start. I quickly got over it though.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
You guys are missing the point, the CGM is the fastest of all the street cars, ask Darth Emma. It's not about the drivetrain, it's about the color. Geesh, thought we settled this months ago.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #27
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
You guys are missing the point, the CGM is the fastest of all the street cars, ask Darth Emma. It's not about the drivetrain, it's about the color. Geesh, thought we settled this months ago.
My favorite question to ask girls: " what car do you have?" their response: "I don't know, its white"
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #28
beebumble
Be humble or buzz off

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 RY
Manual is great when you are young until you figure out that you can have a lot more fun with the pretty lady sitting next to you while not having to shift constantly...

Then you get older and so does she and boy that manual sure is fun again... then again, she still is too.

So you choose... fast car over a fast girl or do you want both and do you want to play with both at the same time.