Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-14-2010, 06:39 AM   #71
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Buster View Post
Just put air in the cylinders with valves closed and it will tell you if they are bent.
This is a much better option than a compression test. This method, "leak down chec" is usually performed with a two gauge set up. One reads input pressure the other pressure in the cylinder so a comparison can be made. You can easily identify which valve if any is bent as well as(probably not your case) piston or ring damage. This method also alows checking without cranking engine, if something else was to be wrong this could prevent further damage.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #72
getarz4u15ster

Drives: Camaro RJT 2SS/RS
leakdown..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
This is a much better option than a compression test. This method, "leak down chec" is usually performed with a two gauge set up. One reads input pressure the other pressure in the cylinder so a comparison can be made. You can easily identify which valve if any is bent as well as(probably not your case) piston or ring damage. This method also alows checking without cranking engine, if something else was to be wrong this could prevent further damage.
Your right.. I had thought about doing a leakdown... and worried about turning the motor over with the possibility that somthing else was wrong i couldn't see... I have both tools. Maybe I'll start with the leakdown test first. My buddy has a boroscope that he's letting me borrow, maybe i'll take some pictures with that.. don't know how sophisticated the thing is, and if i can actually post some of the pictures.. but if i can I will.
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
DT Headers, JBA H/F Catted mid pipes
Magna Flow Comp series exhaust w/ Xpipe
Comp Custom grind Cam
Tune and Machine work done by MPC
CAI Intake
getarz4u15ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #73
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
You sound like me when I was in my 20's, nothing could bring me down as long as I was working on my baby. Now that I am 52 my back can't take leaning over the fenders any more for very long and my knee's will give me h@#l after I am done but I still do it, it just takes twice as long. I will be waiting for your pic's. Good luck! hope your valves at OK.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #74
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06blownSS View Post
this type of thread scares the crap out of me....
IS THIS STILL FRIDAY THE 13 th
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #75
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
No leak down needed. Just unbolt the rockers and pump the cylinders with air.If a valve is bent air will piss out of the intake or exhaust- pretty loud too.

Thats the 3rd sheered pin I've seen. Could be from lack of torqueing it right to just plain luck.I'm a beleiver that the 1 bolt gear just isn't made to take the load of the heavier springs and high rpm. We always switch to Z06 gears,C5R chains and the LS2 tensioner.I like 3 bolts and a pin.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #76
getarz4u15ster

***UPDATE***

I'm Back... and its been a LONG night...

I took the the time today to pull the rockers, and put some air in the cylinders... well try to get air i them.. NOT. Valves are bent every single one of them! I've got both heads off, the lifters out, and the cam out. The push rods are bent as well. Got lucky with the pistons. The "Home made valve reliefs" are that bad, and the pistons can be salvaged! Anyone have any suggestions for pushrods? I will be lapping the valves in my self, but I guess i can get the Valves from Lingenfelter . I think i'll be going back with roller rockers this time too . I'll be talking my my buddy tuesday about the specs on the cam I want.

This image is just to show you guys how the 5/16 inch rods work in keeping the lifters up, when your doing a cam install without removing the heads...

All the lifters looked fine

Bent pushrods...
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
Comp Custom grind Cam
CAI Intake
Old 11-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #77
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Ouch. Good luck
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #78
rally yellow ss rs

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS RS
Wow...I dont think I have the brass balls like you to be able to take that risk. You will in the end have a well made bad ass motor I am sure. Sometimes the best way to learn is the hard way, because sh*t like this demands attention. Seems like a lot of risk over doing a supercharger. For those of us really wondering now, do you fell when done properly that doing the internals over supercharging is the best way to go money/Hp and torque gains???
rally yellow ss rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #79
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally yellow ss rs View Post
Wow...I dont think I have the brass balls like you to be able to take that risk. You will in the end have a well made bad ass motor I am sure. Sometimes the best way to learn is the hard way, because sh*t like this demands attention. Seems like a lot of risk over doing a supercharger. For those of us really wondering now, do you fell when done properly that doing the internals over supercharging is the best way to go money/Hp and torque gains???
When done properly these kinds of mods are very dependable. Usually when something like this happens ther is a cause, sometimes it is something very small that you cannot detect after teardown an example as mentioned above that the pin can prevent the gear from bottoming, even something in a tune, but whatever it's usually something. Then there is cheap parts, although that does not to appear to be the case here,the above components seem to have a proven track record.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #80
getarz4u15ster

Risk...

Quote:
When done properly these kinds of mods are very dependable. Usually when something like this happens ther is a cause, sometimes it is something very small that you cannot detect after tear down an example as mentioned above that the pin can prevent the gear from bottoming, even something in a tune, but whatever it's usually something. Then there is cheap parts, although that does not to appear to be the case here,the above components seem to have a proven track record.
I completely agree! Sometimes the causes are not apparent until you actually rip the thing apart and dive in. Fortunately my Dad and I car Mechanics and we've been building hot rods for a some time now. When I went back with the motor the first time i was VERY thorough and I believe this was a defect in the manufacturing of this particular cam/pin setup. I WILL be contacting COMP about providing a credit for the cam and possibly more. (Which they have done before in the past for us, for other customers). I believe one thing leads to another... what i mean by that is.. Sooner or later the internals on a boosted car that were not made for that type of HP are going to go, i've had that happen to me as well before. So building the internals in your car to withstand the beating it's going to have to endure the long hall is a pre-requisite. This mishap is just allowing me the ability to go back in with bigger and better parts. It's going to be long road ahead...I will be updating this thread periodically with new stuff. Once i start going back with everything I will take more pictures as well.. Thanks for the Support guys!!!!
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
Comp Custom grind Cam
CAI Intake
Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #81
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
i would replace the lifters. cheap insurance. a lifter going out can cause A LOT more damage than what you just went through.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #82
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
i would replace the lifters. cheap insurance. a lifter going out can cause A LOT more damage than what you just went through.
Just think, he was at idle!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #83
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Just think, he was at idle!!!!!!
ummmm i'm confused by this? how is that any different?

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #84
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
ummmm i'm confused by this? how is that any different?
If he was driving and the rpm's were greater the damage could have been much worse.