Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
THE SOUND OF YOUR CAR NEEDS TO START AT THE FRONT!!!

Hello All,

We get so many requests about the best way to make the car sound like it should or they desire.

Too many times guys start at the Rear with mufflers or no mufflers or what have you and still aren't satisfied.

A true Muscle car has Long Tube headers with High flow cats, This Wakes up Any Exhaust and gives it that unique V8 Muscle Car Sound regardless of the exhaust.

The Problem comes in when a guy starts with the loudest cat back then adds the Headers and HF cats, then it is Obnoxious too Loud, then we are changing or adding back mufflers to get it back to reasonable levels and or Kill the Rasp or Drone.

So a Word of Advice Start at the Front With a Quality set of LT headers and High flow cats and see how you like it with the stock exhaust then move on from there.

Not only will you gain Sound but you will gain a Real True 28-30 RWHP.

No Cat backs offer Performance alone.

I hope you find this information Helpful in your quest for a Cool sounding Muscle Car.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
Couldn't have said it better. You see tons of ppl here do the same mistake. I totally agree the headers will bring the sound you desire not the mufflers. I started with slp loudmouth 2 and the sound didn't change much from the stock mufflers till I put my Lts and hf cats.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
I personally think you need to go alittle more forward. Even the CAI (of your Chosing) can make a difference in sound of the Exhaust. My next mod is going to be headers, but the house comes first. When i get the money I will be getting a set of long tube headers.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Hello All,

We get so many requests about the best way to make the car sound like it should or they desire.

Too many times guys start at the Rear with mufflers or no mufflers or what have you and still aren't satisfied.

A true Muscle car has Long Tube headers with High flow cats, This Wakes up Any Exhaust and gives it that unique V8 Muscle Car Sound regardless of the exhaust.

The Problem comes in when a guy starts with the loudest cat back then adds the Headers and HF cats, then it is Obnoxious too Loud, then we are changing or adding back mufflers to get it back to reasonable levels and or Kill the Rasp or Drone.

So a Word of Advice Start at the Front With a Quality set of LT headers and High flow cats and see how you like it with the stock exhaust then move on from there.

I hope you find this information Helpful in your quest for a Cool sounding Muscle Car.

Ted.
+1
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
While this is true, I imagine many who get an aftermarket exhaust rather than headers first do it for warranty reasons. Hence headers first is not really an option.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
That's what I did with my GXP and when I bought the SS it had LTs w/ stock cat back and muffler delete. I would have kept it that way if the mufflers was still on it.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
LT headers soooo made the package better!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
While this is true, I imagine many who get an aftermarket exhaust rather than headers first do it for warranty reasons. Hence headers first is not really an option.
I get that, but not many stop at a cat back, so why not do them in an order that gives more bang for the buck.

Ted.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
jth6373

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS
Agreed.

I have long tubes, mild cam and stock exhaust. Perfect sound for me. Loud when I step on it, very quiet while cruising(zero drone), but loud enough to know that I have a cam.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
TinyToasta

Drives: way too fast....
Couldn't agree more!

As of today I still run my LMII - never felt like going silly with the straight pipes and the likes - it's the stuff upstream that makes the car sound true muscle...
CTS-V Brake upgrade, Street: 22'' Vossen CV1, Strip: 18'' Forgestar F14 on MT Street Radials
TinyToasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth6373 View Post
Agreed.

I have long tubes, mild cam and stock exhaust. Perfect sound for me. Loud when I step on it, very quiet while cruising(zero drone), but loud enough to know that I have a cam.
This is the feedback we get routinely.

Ted.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Hello All,

Ted.
So true Ted. I have noticed this a lot in dealing with the new 2014 Corvette. That thing is Cadillac quiet and dropping some Tri-Y's upfront makes it sound like a true sportscar. Unfortunately a lot of people don't know much about headers. If you could sit in a car with and without, 9 out of 10 people would get headers 1st thing. It gives you a nice "snarl" and a true power increase. I hope more people get a chance to experience that before dumping a ton of cash into mods that are more aesthetic. As for warranty issues, you would be surprised what your dealer allows and doesn't. We have many GM dealerships who sell our headers and other products and don't void the warranty so you really just need to call your dealer, befriend the serviced manager and take him out for some whiskey
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Hello All,

Ted.
So true Ted. I have noticed this a lot in dealing with the new 2014 Corvette. That thing is Cadillac quiet and dropping some Tri-Y's upfront makes it sound like a true sportscar. Unfortunately a lot of people don't know much about headers. If you could sit in a car with and without, 9 out of 10 people would get headers 1st thing. It gives you a nice "snarl" and a true power increase. I hope more people get a chance to experience that before dumping a ton of cash into mods that are more aesthetic. As for warranty issues, you would be surprised what your dealer allows and doesn't. We have many GM dealerships who sell our headers and other products and don't void the warranty so you really just need to call your dealer, befriend the serviced manager and take him out for some whiskey
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I am not deaf (I do very well in audio tests)...

That being said, I have ARH long tubes, high flow cats, X pipe, and solo J straight pipes. It is LOUD. But not too loud for me. Roll the windows up and it sounds almost like stock. NO DRONE.

Just added a cam. Now its louder, still not too loud, still no drone.

Maybe im just deaf to awesome noises so I always need more :P