Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,037
Drove 100km and it went through a quarter and a half of a quarter...

Ok guys, so i went camping and came back on Sunday missing my car. So i start the car and i had left it with a half a tank at 2496km. I went driving and drove 100km, 90% city, the other 10% highway and my car went from a half tank to an 8th of a tank left. So a half of a quarter. Is this normal? One of our other members who works with engines (Dave) said it could be a problem with it running rich. Does this seem out of the ordinary, it does to me. the car now has 2600km
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,353
Ok, so you burned through about 7 gallons of gas to drive about 62 miles. (converted to US numbers since I don't like metric ).

Roughly 8.86miles per gallon. Yeah, I'd say something isn't right.

How much idling time was there in the 100km?

How much stop-light racing did you do in the 90% city driving?

What RPM did you typically shift gears?

All of those areas will drop your gas mileage (even in a v6) pretty quickly.
__________________
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
camkid54
 
Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 18
So are you saying you used 27 litres to go 100ks Thats like 10mpg What RPM are you shifting at? At worst my SS is getting 13mpg around town hard driving...What do the tailpipes look like Are they all sooted up? Without a Tech2 or portable gas analyser I dont know what to tell you And ours isnt updated yet
camkid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
tcamp
 
Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Ok guys, so i went camping and came back on Sunday missing my car. So i start the car and i had left it with a half a tank at 2496km. I went driving and drove 100km, 90% city, the other 10% highway and my car went from a half tank to an 8th of a tank left. So a half of a quarter. Is this normal? One of our other members who works with engines (Dave) said it could be a problem with it running rich. Does this seem out of the ordinary, it does to me. the car now has 2600km
Sure you didn't leave it parked on a hill?
tcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Robert91RS

 
Robert91RS's Avatar
 
Drives: Everywhere
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 852
Don't forget that the last half of a tank never lasts as long as the first. What I mean is that I haven't found a fuel gauge that was remotely accurate yet. It may show a 1/4 tank when you only have an 1/8th and then your calculation would be off.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,037
Well i drove it a little hard, but not hard. And shifted for the most part before 3000rpm. In that total of 100 km, it had about 10 maybe 15 minutes top all together for idling time.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,037
Oh and just to add, the car was sitting flat when i saw at a half tank and at a half of a quarter now in the garage. It doesnt slope at all.
And when i first got the car, i told everyone that it didnt feel quick, it felt the same as my brothers 05 4.0 v6. And everyone said wait til youve broken it in. Ive done that and it still doesnt feel that quick. I drove my friends Mazda 3 and it literally felt as quick. And then i was driving my Camaro, friend in his Mazda 3. And basically my car tried hard to pass him.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
rolnslo
Rolling along...
 
rolnslo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Don't forget that the last half of a tank never lasts as long as the first. What I mean is that I haven't found a fuel gauge that was remotely accurate yet. It may show a 1/4 tank when you only have an 1/8th and then your calculation would be off.
Mine seems to be pretty accurate. It showed right at 1/4 tank this morning and took just over 14 gallons to fill.

My '97 Chevy truck was an entirely different story.
Fill it up and it was way over "F".
120 miles into the tank, the needle was on "F".
175 miles, I was at 3/4
250 miles, I was at 1/2.
270 miles, I was at 1/4.
300 miles and I was just above "E".

I learned to live with it but I feel sorry for the 16 year old kid whose parents are buying it from me. I guess she'll learn to carry a gas can in the back.
__________________
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
TJ91
:chevy:
 
TJ91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,037
should i bring it back to the dealer?
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #10
RickRay
INJACC
 
RickRay's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal (South Shore)Quebec, Canada
Posts: 6,452
Mine said low fuel...so I filled up and put 64 Lts (70 Lt Tank)
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.