Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Electric impact wrench?

Well all these sales seem to have left me in a buying frenzy. Living in AK I'll do wheel swaps on three cars, twice a year. I already have some Impact drivers for wood working, fairly powerful ones. Though I'd need some adapter to get a half inch socket on there. Instead of trying to use a tool for a purpose it's not intended, what do you think of something like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/12-elec...nch-68099.html
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
NoSloSS
BUMBLWHO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
I think you'd be better with a good air impact. The electric ones just don't have the power to do the same jobs. Also you probably deal with a lot of road salt and grit up there which will make the lugs a bit more difficult to remove. You can find used impact guns pretty cheap and even get them at home improvement stores for a decent price. Another consideration is the PSI of your compressor, the higher the PSI the better torque your gun will have. The smaller the compressor the less PSI usually. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Well all these sales seem to have left me in a buying frenzy. Living in AK I'll do wheel swaps on three cars, twice a year. I already have some Impact drivers for wood working, fairly powerful ones. Though I'd need some adapter to get a half inch socket on there. Instead of trying to use a tool for a purpose it's not intended, what do you think of something like this? http://www.harborfreight.com/12-elec...nch-68099.html
NoSloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSloSS View Post
I think you'd be better with a good air impact. The electric ones just don't have the power to do the same jobs. Also you probably deal with a lot of road salt and grit up there which will make the lugs a bit more difficult to remove. You can find used impact guns pretty cheap and even get them at home improvement stores for a decent price. Another consideration is the PSI of your compressor, the higher the PSI the better torque your gun will have. The smaller the compressor the less PSI usually. Good luck.
Cool thanks. I learned something new. I didn't know about the higher PSI thing. I have my grandpa's old impact wrech and it wasn't doing the job, maybe I gotta turn up the pressure. I think I had it fairly low.
bandier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I have one and it works good for removing lug nuts. I have had it for 10 years and have never had a problem removing any. I keep it in the trunk just in case I need it. How it gets its impact is it spins a weight and when it reaches a certain speed it locks onto the shaft and hammers the socket like a air impact wrench. It is definitely slower than a air impact wrench, but faster and easier to use than a lug wrench.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I have one and it works good for removing lug nuts. I have had it for 10 years and have never had a problem removing any. I keep it in the trunk just in case I need it. How it gets its impact is it spins a weight and when it reaches a certain speed it locks onto the shaft and hammers the socket like a air impact wrench. It is definitely slower than a air impact wrench, but faster and easier to use than a lug wrench.
You have the one I posted in the link, or another electric one?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
You have the one I posted in the link, or another electric one?
No mine is actually a 12VDC model. So I can carry it with me and not have to rely on a 120VAC outlet to use. It is just designed to remove lug nuts. The one you linked is for more than just removing lug nuts and is heavier duty than what I have. Still if all you are going to use it for is removing your lug nuts it will more than likely be fine as long as you are close to a power source.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSloSS View Post
I do actually have a compressor, but it's one of the small pancake ones from PC. Doesn't seem like it would be much better than the electric one, or would it?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Springerrob

Drives: 11 RJT SS Convertible /10 CG 2LT RS
I have the Craftsman electric impact and it works great for removing the 140ft/lbs Camaro lugs. Makes removing them easy Torque wrench for putting them back though!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Synner

Drives: cars
Got a kobalt for cheap when Lowes was out of Dewalts and I needed something immediately. Works great on subframe bolts and lugs. The only other higher torque rating on the car is axles but I haven't had a reason to take them out yet.

Whatever you do don't get Harbor Freight air tools. I've tried 2 and returned both because they had zero torque. Most of their electric stuff is ok but a bit more vibration and no bells and whistles compared to name brands.

Last edited by Synner; 12-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
I bought the harbor freight electric 1/2 impact about 2 months ago and Very pleased with it . Cost me $39 with sales ad coupon . I've did 2 lowering spring jobs and many wheels on an off with No issues ! We tried my buddies Brand New Craftsman cordless 1/2 impact and wouldn't break a lug nut loose .
For the money it's well worth it . Only draw back I have is once you push the froward/reverse button it's not variable speed.. Its wide open ! Just be careful when the lug nut comes off . Tool keeps spinning...
Old 12-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
IPT

well I opted for the Craftsman 19V. It got decent ratings on the Car and Driver write up. I get sick of flinging a cord out of the way all the time. If it doesn't do the job I might go with the HF corded. I won't need it until spring though, car is stored :(.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
De Walt

cordless 300#ft torque but $$$$,not in my budget now.DCF889L2 $319 Acme tools.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Rhyno81

Drives: Summit White 2012 2SS RS M6
Craftsman 19.2 1/2 gun is awesome i use it everyday at work. Easily breaks lugs loose that are torqued to 140 ftlbs or more. I recommend the Lithium Ion batteries over the NiCads for sure. Little more longevity and consistency
-TSP 1 7/8" long tubes with high flow cats
-Muffler Delete
-Matte Black Powdercoated 20"SS Wheels (General GMax Tires)
-BMR Strut Brace
-ZL1 Swapped front end

Rhyno81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I just got the ingersoll rand 20v battery impact gun and its a wrist breaker. 1100 ft-lb of nut busting power and 780 ft-lb of reverse nut busting power. Cant beat it.
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote