Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Magnacharger fuel hose information and option

If you own a magnacharger supercharger system for your 2010 camaro then this information will apply to you, and not as a scare tatic but to shed some light on a possible safety issue down the line.

A company we work with and tour shows with (TechAFX) was explaining some SAE fuel testing done on Magnachargers fuel hose that they send with their supercharger systems. The rubber hose in question here in this photo from the main fuel line to the fuel rail fitting, seen by the reservoir.

The hose sent from magnacharger is an inexpensive solution but unfortunately maybe not as safe as it could be. (However I am not disapproving its effectiveness or saftety, this is again not my intent, just passing along information)

Data found through testing on this hose is as follows below -

"TechAFX has just completely extensive testing our LS V8 supercharger fuel Hose vs the competition: here are the results. The TechAFX hose successfully completed the SAE J2045 testing (which is 8 times average fuel rail pressure, or 58 x 8 = 464 psi) and actually was run up over 3 times that level (completing a test to 1200 psi!). Unfortunately, the fuel hose from the leading supercharger company (we tested 5 hose assemblies) did not pass this SAE test. It consistently failed at arounf 360 psi--well below the industry standard. For OE quality and performance in aftermarket applications"

You tube video link of this test.

I found this interesting enough to share with the rest of the members here, and as an option for those like myself who are very safe with fuel. Again the main purpose of this is not meant to be a sales pitch for TechAFX's optional fuel hose which replaces the Magnacharger rubber hose, it is meant as information in a raw form.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding this SAE test , or TechAFXs Teflon non conductive fuel hose that can be purchased for this application please let me know. Photo of the line in questions are in the video and if additional photos are requested I can provide side by side comparisons. Additional if you would like to inquire about purchasing this TechAFX hose or product pricing please do so in a PM or email as this is again an information bulletin as its main function.

Regards

Last edited by IPS Brandon; 10-25-2010 at 08:45 PM.
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
If you own a magnacharger supercharger system for your 2010 camaro then this information will apply to you, and not as a scare tatic but to shed some light on a possible safety issue down the line.

A company we work with and tour shows with (TechAFX) was explaining some SAE fuel testing done on Magnachargers fuel hose that they send with their supercharger systems. The rubber hose in question here in this photo from the main fuel line to the fuel rail fitting, seen by the reservoir.

The hose sent from magnacharger is an inexpensive solution but unfortunately not as safe as it could be.

Data found through testing on this hose is as follows below -

"TechAFX has just completely extensive testing our LS V8 supercharger fuel Hose vs the competition: here are the results. The TechAFX hose successfully completed the SAE J2045 testing (which is 8 times average fuel rail pressure, or 58 x 8 = 464 psi) and actually was run up over 3 times that level (completing a test to 1200 psi!). Unfortunately, the fuel hose from the leading supercharger company (we tested 5 hose assemblies) did not pass this SAE test. It consistently failed at arounf 360 psi--well below the industry standard. For OE quality and performance in aftermarket applications"

You tube video link of this test.

I found this interesting enough to share with the rest of the members here, and as an option for those like myself who are very safe with fuel. Again the main purpose of this is not meant to be a sales pitch for TechAFX's optional fuel hose which replaces the Magnacharger rubber hose, it is meant as information in a raw form.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding this SAE test , or TechAFXs Teflon non conductive fuel hose that can be purchased for this application please let me know. Photo of the line in questions are in the video and if additional photos are requested I can provide side by side comparisons. Additional if you would like to inquire about purchasing this TechAFX hose or product pricing please do so in a PM or email as this is again an information bulletin as its main function.

Regards
What hose do I have? Did you replace with the one that came in the coolant line kit?

tk
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Anytime your using additional or modified fuel supply hose on a fuel injected car (especially these at 56-62 PSI average) you never scrimp. I use braded line & AN fittings.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
IPS Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrupinski View Post
What hose do I have? Did you replace with the one that came in the coolant line kit?

tk
We have the correct line for you at the shop, the standard line that included in the hose relocation is a tad short, so I went ahead and got the correct length line in! Stop by the new shop

Also I am not intending for this to be a bash fest about Magnacharger , their products are world class, however the fuel line used I believe could be better, and now there is that option.

Regards
Old 10-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Just like the first dual intank pump kits that some sold w/the wrong fuel hose. It needs to be submersable, but some used standard hose that would soften and break. All a learning experiance for all of us. I think the Maggies are top of the line as well.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
IPS Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Just like the first dual intank pump kits that some sold w/the wrong fuel hose. It needs to be submersable, but some used standard hose that would soften and break. All a learning experiance for all of us. I think the Maggies are top of the line as well.

Nothing like realizing you have a bad fuel pump when in actuality you have no fuel pressure because the line split in the tank and is not pumping into the feed side.

Regards
Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
tkrupinski
Hugger Orange

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange 2SS/ RS YSI/4l80
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
Nothing like realizing you have a bad fuel pump when in actuality you have no fuel pressure because the line split in the tank and is not pumping into the feed side.

Regards
Brandon,
You in the new shop or still at columbus site also?
tkrupinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
IPS Brandon

Also if you are going to use the Roto Fab engine covers with your Maggie, this hose fits MUCH better

Todd all service work is at the new 34,000 sq ft shop, the front office is still being re modeled.

Regards
Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
IPS Brandon

Another note after I have receieved loads of PM's

The cause for concern is not the immediate future but over time. The ottengier clamps (used in the maggies hose) are only rated at 12 psi of clamping force. The method combined with the rubber hose used creates the problem. Over several heat cycles and pressure surges this hose breaks down and becomes more brittle and less resilient to holding the fuel. Generally speaking in the SAE automotive world fuel hoses should be able to hold 6 times the amount of rail pressure the car is using, which this hose would not come close to complying.

Just a little more back ground and food for thought to sum up several PM's.

Regards
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
IPS Brandon

I have gotten several PM'S about the availability of these fuel lines, I do have several left here ready to ship as well as access to many more. Please let me know if you would like a hose or have more questions regarding this safety concern.

Regards