Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:21 PM   #141
STS_CHILLER

Drives: Maggie 05 GTO/JETTA TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand5599 View Post

Could you also have another unit for the trans. to keep it cooler?
I have a M6 but that is something I have wanted to try. There is a special heat exchanger to use for a auto. This has not been tested so I don’t know if it would cool to much. These SS Heat Exchangers can be run in a series. Thanks talk to you tonight.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #142
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
very good. I saw the first prototype, and I love the cleaned up version
Old 11-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #143
STS_CHILLER

Drives: Maggie 05 GTO/JETTA TDI
SC2150 had surgery Friday morning, looks like he may be in hospital at least 5 days! He is resting in his room on some good drugs doing well. We think he may be able to reply to messages Sunday or Monday. I’m hoping for fast recovery to bail me out at work! I’m sorry for delays on orders; he handles the catch cans other items should be closer to schedule. Thank You Dave
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #144
HRC

Drives: 2010 2SS
Have you guys considered the impact of the coolant temp differnce on the liquid cooled KB's? I've done quite a few KB installs, and had alot of people asking about icing the intercooler, etc. Kenne Bell is very addimate about not icing the intercooler in the Liquid cooled units because it effects the expansion/contraction rate of the aluminum gear case? (For those asking "what the..", Kenne Bell circulates HE/IC coolant through the front bearing case to control the expansion rate of the aluminum bearing case. It helps maintain gear/rotor tolerances and extends the life of the blower) If you were to introduce additionally cooled liquid into that bearing case, it would contract, thus tightening the gear mesh and possibly cause rotor suffing, accelerated gear wear?
Not to raise a red flag or cause hype, but would there be a possibility of adding a thermostatically controlled valve to the inlet side of the gear case coolant lines to maintain factory specs on bearing case temperature?
Just a thought... This seems like an incredible product. Heck, if you cant find anybody for the deal, I'll ship you my car, or drive there from Iowa!

Also, on a performance note for those of you wondering.. I recently took my Camaro as well as a friends identically built Camaro (2.8l L/C KB, 1 7/8 Kooks catted .621/.624 Comp cams in both cars) to Straight Line Performance in Joliet. Back to back dyno runs/tuning on identically built cars. Steve's car went first, and since neither car was tuned before going (just finished the KB installs), his car ran longer while getting dialed in. Mine was second, and since they plugged his tune in my car right away as a base line, my car was much cooler. Comparing the first few dyno pulls (not full throttle, only to 4500), my car had 30 degree cooler IAT, and registered 22 HP more at any given rpm! Once my car heated up and had been through the gammot of runs and the temps were the same, both cars ran almost identically.

If this product can even deliver 30 degree cooler temps, it should be good for 20+ hp! I'm in!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #145
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartland Rod and Custom View Post
Have you guys considered the impact of the coolant temp differnce on the liquid cooled KB's? I've done quite a few KB installs, and had alot of people asking about icing the intercooler, etc. Kenne Bell is very addimate about not icing the intercooler in the Liquid cooled units because it effects the expansion/contraction rate of the aluminum gear case? (For those asking "what the..", Kenne Bell circulates HE/IC coolant through the front bearing case to control the expansion rate of the aluminum bearing case. It helps maintain gear/rotor tolerances and extends the life of the blower) If you were to introduce additionally cooled liquid into that bearing case, it would contract, thus tightening the gear mesh and possibly cause rotor suffing, accelerated gear wear?
Not to raise a red flag or cause hype, but would there be a possibility of adding a thermostatically controlled valve to the inlet side of the gear case coolant lines to maintain factory specs on bearing case temperature?
Just a thought... This seems like an incredible product. Heck, if you cant find anybody for the deal, I'll ship you my car, or drive there from Iowa!

Also, on a performance note for those of you wondering.. I recently took my Camaro as well as a friends identically built Camaro (2.8l L/C KB, 1 7/8 Kooks catted .621/.624 Comp cams in both cars) to Straight Line Performance in Joliet. Back to back dyno runs/tuning on identically built cars. Steve's car went first, and since neither car was tuned before going (just finished the KB installs), his car ran longer while getting dialed in. Mine was second, and since they plugged his tune in my car right away as a base line, my car was much cooler. Comparing the first few dyno pulls (not full throttle, only to 4500), my car had 30 degree cooler IAT, and registered 22 HP more at any given rpm! Once my car heated up and had been through the gammot of runs and the temps were the same, both cars ran almost identically.

If this product can even deliver 30 degree cooler temps, it should be good for 20+ hp! I'm in!
You are correct. The liquid cooled units are not to be used with extremely cold IC fluid(ie, ice in resevoir) or probably the super chiller. Since the liquid cooled KB unit is an option, If one plans to put on the super chiller, just get the standard non-liquid cooled KB. I understand the liquid cooled unit is really meant for the serious motors that are gonna run +15 lbs of boost. Those of us that only plan to run 10 lbs or less, the standard unit would be fine in conjunction with the super chiller.
Sold
Old 11-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #146
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
KB also told us we should not use our billet pulleys on their units, only their steel ones. I would agree that in extreme cooling it could be an issue, but watch and see.

Some pics from today:

This on a new Grand Sport C6....
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #147
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The Vette is what I was refering to. Just vertc6's application.

I assume yours is a MN6 trans? Do a search on CF on the clutch pedal sticking to the floor. The C5 & C6 vettes have had this issue during hard use since 1997 when first released. The fluid gets hot & dirty and during fast shifts (especially on road courses) the pedal will stick to the floor. This is another soluion we designed that eliminates this issue. Some of the 5th Gem camaro guys experiance this as well. We have a solution like no others but have not released it yet.
Do you have this product ready for sale? Didn't read the whole thread

PM me detials, please
Old 11-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #148
SC2150
Account Suspended

The clutch pedal hydraulic system has been tested and refined, but no funds to bring it to market yet (along with a dozen or so other products ready to release). When we do secure the funding It will be promoted as a complete kit.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #149
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The clutch pedal hydraulic system has been tested and refined, but no funds to bring it to market yet (along with a dozen or so other products ready to release). When we do secure the funding It will be promoted as a complete kit.
sounds good!!! Can't wait to see my catch can and breather in ZR1 Blue!! Thanks for straightening my out on the whole breather situation!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #150
HRC

Drives: 2010 2SS
The liquid cooling isn't just for extreme race units, but rather is a cheap upgrade to extend the life of the unit by controling heat expansion of the aluminum bearing case in relation to the steel gears to keep gear mesh more consistant and reduce wear. Every customer I have installed one on has opted for it. I'll get some info "from the horses mouth" and post back, but honestly, a simple thermostatically controlled inline valve on the inlet hose for JUST the bearing case (3/8" line) should be all that is needed to solve that issue. As long as the coolant in that front bearing case can be kept at the correct temp for the application (160* I believe, if memory serves me) there shouldn't be any manufacturer warranty issues? Like I said, I'll verify their requirements/concerns/information and post back as soon as I hear.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM   #151
SC2150
Account Suspended

Good info.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 PM   #152
coolhand5599

Drives: CTS
Dave is doing a great job and should have this done by this weekend on my vette. If it takes a little power from me on a road track that will just be another bennifit . I am already way overpowering any track. I need to learn how to drive all over again. I have taken it to an autocross and the car is a handfull. A State champ auto-x guy who drives a ZO6 had a hard time. He said his car felt so slow after riding in mine
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #153
vertc6

Drives: vette
Believe it or not you will gain power! why, because your engine is NOT going to pull timing when the IAT's get hot droping your overall hp by 20 - 50 hp. The A/C compressor only takes about 6-7 hp.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #154
SC2150
Account Suspended

Yesterday it was in the mid 80's here and on Daves GTO the ICWT (intercooler water temp) was 105. Then with the chiller on & the cabin AC it went to 50 degrees within a few minutes. Pretty impressive!

Closed Thread