Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Soulrÿche

Drives: 2lt Camaro
? on GM bankruptcy and effect on orders

hello all!

Working on getting a camaro and am gonna wait till white comes out.. talking to a co worker he said, you know they will stop making cars until the bankruptcy
is cleared and everything has settled.. i looked around here.. didnt see a post and since this is general discussion/questions.. here i am..

thanks!

/soul
Soulrÿche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
There are tons of posts.

This is not true, don't listen to them.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
+1
Old 05-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Sinergy

Drives: em crazy.
The less people order, the quicker I get mine. Listen to your co-worker.
Sinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
marcgo2

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue
I believe technically everything should shut down during bankruptcy until the judge reviews and allocates what money is available. But GM is working to keep the factories that produce cars like Camaro, Malibu, Equinox...etc open since they are high sellers.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
The government has agreed to provide working capital for GM when it goes into bankruptcy. They will still produce any cars that need to be produced (so if there are a ton of something on the lot, the plant for those will more than likely be shut down for a bit)
Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
mikenmar

Drives: Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgo2 View Post
I believe technically everything should shut down during bankruptcy until the judge reviews and allocates what money is available.
As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in bankruptcy law that would require GM to shut down, per se. They may have trouble making payments, which could indirectly lead to a shutdown, but not if they can secure parts and supplies in advance. From what I've heard, they've spent a lot of money doing just that, as part of the billions of dollars received from the govt recently.

Bankruptcy typically involves a tug of war over assets between different parties, but it is in the interest of all parties for GM to keep producing profitable products. I would bet that everybody involved will try to do just that.
mikenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Soulrÿche

Drives: 2lt Camaro
thanks for the input..
so i will still order one.. (haha!!)
and tell my co worker stick to his job.. lol

and sorry for being lazy..
" It is easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission" Words my kids seem to live by..
Soulrÿche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
LabRat

Drives: Wheeled Vehicles
I guess we will all find out Monday.

LabRat
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmar View Post
As far as I'm aware, there's nothing in bankruptcy law that would require GM to shut down, per se. They may have trouble making payments, which could indirectly lead to a shutdown, but not if they can secure parts and supplies in advance. From what I've heard, they've spent a lot of money doing just that, as part of the billions of dollars received from the govt recently.

Bankruptcy typically involves a tug of war over assets between different parties, but it is in the interest of all parties for GM to keep producing profitable products. I would bet that everybody involved will try to do just that.
I agree, the reason Chrysler shut down their factories is that they use Just-In-Time logistics (as does GM) and that they haven't paid their bills, so bankruptcy hits, nobody ships parts, no cars are built. However GM paid bills ahead to prevent this from happening.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Rusted Virtue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I work for a company that filed for chapter 11 at the beginning of the year. Not one of our plants shutdown because of the filing. For those of us in the plant, we wouldn't have even really know it happened if we weren't told. We did have some small supplier issues in the first couple weeks, but nothing that shut the plant down or cause any delays at all.

Hopefully that makes you all feel better

Rusted Virtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Only time will tell. We are all just living life one day at a time.

Camaro is popular. And wanted. So it's got the best chance of almost any model sans the hybrids and pea shooters to survive well into the future.

Relax.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
And to add to a post above, there was an article yesterday stating that the government is supplying GM with $19 billion more "during" bankruptcy.

Not sure if that is to help with suppliers during bankruptcy or not, just a thought.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Shadowmind

Drives: 2010 2SS - IOM, fully loaded
Lots of speculation. We wont really know the real deal until monday.

Chrysler shut down during proceedings for a number of reasons. Mainly, they didn't want the added burden of cost overhead on their potential sale of the company.

GM may just shut down a number of plants, that it intends to either cut or sell after its liquidated. But the Canadian plants aren't one of those. They've already stated they'll shut those down for 1 week and recommence. I think Evotion is correct, they are getting 'float' cash to keep them going through the process. GM's filing may take several months.

GM will likely kill or sell off all of its brands except GMC, Chevy, and Cadillac. My guess is that Chevy will become the car division, Cadillac the luxury division, and GM strictly trucks and SUVs. Chevy will loose its truck, suv and van line up. They can't really give up the Cadillac brand since its engines are used in many Chevy models. But if push comes to shove, Cadillac may go as well.

With a decent trimming of their line, GM should be able to straighten themselves out fairly quick if they concentrate on their winners for a few years.
Shadowmind is offline   Reply With Quote