Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #43
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
you need to measure the area the HUD shows up in top to bottom when you use the button to adjust the up and down, and then measure the left to right.

placement should be in the area you see the HUD obviously with a bit (1/2" or so) on each side.

the size in my Avalanche would be irrelevant as it was an on-top of dash unit, not recessed like the OEM

--

as far as tint shade, mine was zero tint 100% light pass-thru, clear as it was in my line of sight I didn't want any color. You can see the outline if you are focused on it, otherwise you won't even notice it.

It's purpose is for solar (heat) reduction and color is not required for that with the crystalline products. But because of it's nature it focuses the HUD LED display quite well, which is why GM uses it layers between the glass.

I have the same stuff on the Drivers and Passenger side windows of my Camaro. It is completely clear and there for heat reduction only, it works great, the interior temp of my vehicles is 15°-20° lower after sitting 8+ hours in the sun than it was before (yes we tested it after installing it with having a therometer in the vehicle).

I also have the same stuff on all my house windows.. It reduced the heat in my home by 8° which in 95° dry heat is a big deal.
Thanks for the info. About 10-12 years ago we put some film on one side of our house for heat - but I'm guessing with technology advances we should look at replacing again one day.

I appreciate the info - I'm going to try and see if I can find some.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #44
jeturner6221

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Be careful about certified used cars. There are two types dealer certified and manufacturers certified used cars. Manufacturers has to meet manufacturers specs (large check list), dealer certified is a list of items the dealer checks (list is up to dealer). Always ask and ask for the check off list.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #45
rydahog

Drives: camaro ss
Ask OFER..2ssrs i believe is his screen name...he has the correct hud and non hud serial numbers for your car.
rydahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #46
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
This is one of those stories that makes you feel terrible about buying a used car because you have no idea who did what to it prior to you taking it over, and who looks at the glass on the lot when their buying it, I cant believe this delership wont help even half the cost being its their screw up I would report them, thats why I do all my own work even that I have to pay out of pocket for it I just dont trust any of those flat rate techicians that rush every job they do its not worth it to me on an expensive car.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #47
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
This is total BS. I bet the OP noticed the blurry HUD too before he bought it and they agreed to replace the HUD. Now that it turns out to not be the HUD they are balking.

Unacceptable.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #48
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
This is total BS. I bet the OP noticed the blurry HUD too before he bought it and they agreed to replace the HUD. Now that it turns out to not be the HUD they are balking.

Unacceptable.

while I completely agree it is unacceptable, I do see the dealers point of view.

GM will not warranty the glass being replaced most likely because it wasn't replaced by the dealership, but by the previous owner and probably at some off name glass shop.

Which leads to the question why such a young car would have the glass replaced.

So from the perspective of GM I understand them not replacing under warranty, however I see this as no different than my issue with my brake calipers, it was not a GM issue, GM denied the warranty, but the dealer stepped up and took care of it on their dime because I was an unsatisfied customer.

$850 to a dealer is nothing, they will make it up on the next car no doubt, so to argue the point is just plain stupid.

Something like this is how you build a customer relationship for life.

---

in 1991 I had a Silverado Z71 the first of 9 vehicles I have bought from the same dealership and I can tell you the exact moment that relationship was struck.

my front CV boots were leaking grease, truck was under 2 years old. Took it in for warranty, was told and shown the parts, someone took a razor blade and sliced the CV boots open..

this was not a warranty claim, it was an insurance claim, but the dealer took care of the labor and only charged me $200 for the parts so that I didn't have to deal with my insurance on it.

that was a relationship building gesture, they did not have to do that, they did it because I was a freshly discharged Marine that was struggling to find work.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #49
wtcadman

Drives: 2013 black 2lt with rs package
Maybe the previous owner added the HUD and didnt upgrade the windshield
wtcadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #50
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcadman View Post
Maybe the previous owner added the HUD and didnt upgrade the windshield
It's an 11 2LT. It came with it from the factory.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #51
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post

Unacceptable.

If customer service does not work.

Find a lawyer, mention suing for false advertisement, and have your hud fixed.

This is at a dealership level now and you don't even have to involve GM.

This is as simple as, they advertised that the make, model, and equipment was certified GM correct and it is not.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #52
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Whoa that thing is out of focus.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #53
RS4DS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Just got off the phone with customer service, and they told me they will not help mw in my claim. Thay are siding with the dealership, but the dealership wants to make me happy so they will take off $200. Big Deal.

Dan
RS4DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #54
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS4DS View Post
Just got off the phone with customer service, and they told me they will not help mw in my claim. Thay are siding with the dealership, but the dealership wants to make me happy so they will take off $200. Big Deal.

it's pssible you can take the view that this is a safety problem, as it is in your line of sight, it can be considered a distraction being out of focus.

might need to talk to a lawyer.

heck you might even be able to push it as a lemon law, seeing as it is a problem that can't be fixed right?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #55
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I see a cracked windshield in your future....

And when you have it replaced through safelite/insurance make sure you explain it has HUD so need the OEM Hud windshield otherwise they will replace it with the cheapest they have which is no doubt what happened to the previous owner
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #56
RS4DS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Thanks for all the info. I am still fighting this with the customer service. Hopefully you will hear this big POP. That will be them pulling thier heads out of thier a..es and fix it.

Dan
RS4DS is offline   Reply With Quote