Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-28-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
OK...What exactly is involved with a "tune"

Hi all,
I've been reading so much in the performance section of this site about all the bolt-ons and other stuff you can do to squeeze out more HP and in just about ever case, each discussion usually ends with "...and a good tune" as the final step in performance enhancements or add-ons. Can someone explain exactly was is involved with a tune? Do you take your car somewhere and have it hooked up to a computer or something for some mechanic to make fine adjustments to timing, fuel/air mixture, etc.? What is a "tune" these days?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrock View Post
Hi all,
I've been reading so much in the performance section of this site about all the bolt-ons and other stuff you can do to squeeze out more HP and in just about ever case, each discussion usually ends with "...and a good tune" as the final step in performance enhancements or add-ons. Can someone explain exactly was is involved with a tune? Do you take your car somewhere and have it hooked up to a computer or something for some mechanic to make fine adjustments to timing, fuel/air mixture, etc.? What is a "tune" these days?
You can do it yourself, but if you are unfamiliar with the practice it is better to take it to a professional. It involves hooking the car up to a little computer and adjusting the computerized controls. This can be to adjust for add-ons (like an exhaust system or CAI, etc) or can just to be adjust ignition control on a stock car. The factory tunes the car to get the maximum efficiency (usually gas mileage in these CAFE days). You can have it adjusted to get more performance (in the way of HP), but you will generally sacrifice some fuel economy. Make sense?
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
dodson914

Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
The best thing to do is go to a reputable shop and have them do it on a dyno. Like you said, they fine tune different things on the ECM like A/F ratio, timing, etc. The dyno helps them make sure they get the most HP while still be safe to drive. There are other tunes that are the plug and play kind. But, each car is going to be a little different and everyone will have different mods so it really is best to get a custom tune from a reputable shop.
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
A laptop and brains.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
TXInfernoSS

Drives: 2010 Inferno SS
best way is laptop/programmer and do it at the track. unless you just want to be a dyno queen
TXInfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
dodson914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
A laptop and brains.
Unfortunately I am missing the latter. That's why I go to a shop.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
Edrock

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS LS3
Ok...so I wasn't too far off. Now the next challenge would be to find a reputable shop around here that does that sort of thing. I'm sure there is but I haven't had a chance to look around. Thanks for the explanation all.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodson914 View Post
Unfortunately I am missing the latter. That's why I go to a shop.
Seriously though, going to a shop won't necessarily get you the most efficient results. The best thing is to spend a Saturday at the local dragstrip and keep playing with the fuel/air/timing parameters until you get optimal results.

If you are going to a shop to get a tune, they MUST have a floor dyno and get them to take a reading before the tune so you can compare before and after results.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
dodson914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Seriously though, going to a shop won't necessarily get you the most efficient results. The best thing is to spend a Saturday at the local dragstrip and keep playing with the fuel/air/timing parameters until you get optimal results.

If you are going to a shop to get a tune, they MUST have a floor dyno and get them to take a reading before the tune so you can compare before and after results.
I have a few shops around me that do really good work. So I am not too worried about that. I don't really plan on going to the track all that often. So I just want to squeeze a few extra ponies out of my mods and make sure that it's not running too rich or lean. I thought about reading up on HPTuners forums to try and learn it myself. But, I think that will take me years of reading before I truly understand it all. LOL
Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodson914 View Post
I have a few shops around me that do really good work. So I am not too worried about that. I don't really plan on going to the track all that often. So I just want to squeeze a few extra ponies out of my mods and make sure that it's not running too rich or lean. I thought about reading up on HPTuners forums to try and learn it myself. But, I think that will take me years of reading before I truly understand it all. LOL
I've been in the same boat. I think I'm going to save up for some professional work backed by R&D from a known performance company rather than slapping on mods and hoping that I can figure out the software. I'd rather know that my car is fast and reliable than worry that each stomp on the pedal is bringing my beast closer to detonation.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #11
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Here we go......

Motors are a big pump. Every mod you do allows the motor to breath better. Now the stock pcm has a series of tables which control fuel delivery and spark based on various sensor readings, like air flow, intake air, oxygen, what have you. When you allow the motor to flow better, like with headers or more seriously a cam or blower, you have to compensate by adding and evening out the fuel and spark for the new airflow. This way the car runs well/smooth/safe.

That's it in the most basic way I can explain.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Late Model Racecraft

Drives: 98 Camaro Race Car 3.96 @ 202 MPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I've been in the same boat. I think I'm going to save up for some professional work backed by R&D from a known performance company rather than slapping on mods and hoping that I can figure out the software. I'd rather know that my car is fast and reliable than worry that each stomp on the pedal is bringing my beast closer to detonation.
Exactly, we probably tune on average 3 cars a day. Its best to leave it up to the professionals. I know we are a little far from you but if you are interested in one of our packages you will not be dissapointed with our custom dyno tune once we are finished!

2019 ZR1 LT5*9.00*@ 157
Current C7 World Record Holder 7.55*@ 184*MPH
Quickest and Fastest GEN5 LT Powered Vehicle
LMR1200HP Supercharged C7 8.84 @ 160**
LMR1200HP Twin Turbo C7 9.35@155mph-2014
2 TIME OUTLAW DRAG RADIAL LSX CHAMPION 2008/2010
9.47 ZR1 Corvette-2009
FIRST 2010 CAMARO in the 9's-2010
713-466-9900
Latemodelracecraft.com
Late Model Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
vladkgb

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS Pewter
best tune is a "protune", thats when you take it to a dyno and have a dude with a laptop tune ur car and test the settings on the dyno. Every car is different, so you cant just buy a chip and get the best performance for your car.

Pro-tunes are expensive, but their well worth the money, for example after i installed my blower on my ls1 at 5psi i dynoed in at 410 rwhp with 390 torque, so i got it protuned, and after 3 runs on the dyno with my tuner experimenting with his laptop I was putting down 455rwhp and 420tq, thats a gain of 45 HP for only $400, best mod i ever did.
vladkgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
dodson914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Model Racecraft View Post
Exactly, we probably tune on average 3 cars a day. Its best to leave it up to the professionals. I know we are a little far from you but if you are interested in one of our packages you will not be dissapointed with our custom dyno tune once we are finished!
Yeah, I will probably be hitting you guys up mid summer. What software do y'all use to tune?