Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Opti-Coat

Has anyone used Opti-Coat? It seems to be similar to clear coat but a lot harder. I have been reading about it since I saw it mentioned in a Gramps post. The claims are quite impressive. I wonder what you guys think?

http://www.optimumcarcare.com.au/
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I looked at it, but this concerned me:

From the link above:
Quote:
Can I buy Opti-Coat and apply it myself?

No. Opti-Coat is available only to selected professionals. Application requires an experienced technician to avoid extensive damage to the factory paintwork.
Damage????? But this just wipes on....

I read application instructions on Autogeek.net and at the bottom of those instructions, before you order its requires this:

Quote:
Due to the unique formulation of this product, we ask that you acknowledge that you have read and understand the application and purpose of Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 before purchasing it.
Why??????? How many people have screwed up the application?? Oh, wait. It's for selected professionals only.

The product goes on and cures and adds 2 microns of protection over your clear coat. While applying you have to identify streaks and thick spots of product and level that. Not to mention completely correcting your paint before you apply it. Also, while it's curing, it will be "tacky". To me that means if you don't have a paint booth or dust free environment you risk dust, debris or other contaminants embedding itself to the surface while it's "tacky".

I have no doubt that this is a quality product. Optimum has a fine line of care care products. It's not for me though.

That's my .02
Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
There is thread on auotgeek's forum that is "over-the-top detailed" on this product, you might want to read it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-cquartz.html

Sounds like a very unique product...

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
I saw gramps post too, but I wouldn't be comfortable applying that product myself. Better to pay a pro (who is insured) to do it, cheap insurance IMO.....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Coatings seem to be the new hip thing amongst the detailing world. I myself have been playing with the car pro line cquartz nano coating on my wife's vue. The coating is holding up well after 4 months and her vehicle is never garaged. Coatings aren't really my style since I enjoy detailing; it's kind of counter productive for someone like me who enjoys the process. However it's been a good experience for my wife's ride as it doesn't get nearly as much love as the camaro.

Adams Americana will forever protect my finish because a coating just simply isn't necessary for my needs. If one does decide to use opti coat / cquartz / aquartz / g techniq I must say to exercise extreme caution when applying these coatings. The damage they can do is real and if your not extremely careful you may do more harm than good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
blake_jl

Drives: Black MPS
The product in the link above and the product you will find on Autogeek are not the same product.

Opti-Coat 2.0 on Autogeek is a water down (for lack of a better term) version that is far easier to apply.

And for someone with little to no experience, yes you may damage your vehicle with it. With the professional only version above it's almost guaranteed that you will.

Applying the product to the surface is easy. Applying it correctly a little more difficult. Removing it after you F it up impossible for someone with no equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
I looked at it, but this concerned me:

From the link above: Damage????? But this just wipes on....

I read application instructions on Autogeek.net and at the bottom of those instructions, before you order its requires this:

Why??????? How many people have screwed up the application?? Oh, wait. It's for selected professionals only.

The product goes on and cures and adds 2 microns of protection over your clear coat. While applying you have to identify streaks and thick spots of product and level that. Not to mention completely correcting your paint before you apply it. Also, while it's curing, it will be "tacky". To me that means if you don't have a paint booth or dust free environment you risk dust, debris or other contaminants embedding itself to the surface while it's "tacky".

I have no doubt that this is a quality product. Optimum has a fine line of care care products. It's not for me though.

That's my .02
blake_jl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #7
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Ryan, did you apply the cquartz yourself?

Was it difficult, some risk involved? I'm thinking maybe for my DD....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oplay View Post
Ryan, did you apply the cquartz yourself?

Was it difficult, some risk involved? I'm thinking maybe for my DD....
Yes I did it myself... There is an inherent risk in any coating if your not comfortable with prep / detailing. Cquartz is probably the least risky of the bunch. So far it's been a good product, it doesn't bead like waxes do though, but it does make it very easy to clean the car because dirt doesn't stick to the surface as well. I really purchased it to test for longevity, so far so good, but we'll see by the end of summer if it's holding up or not.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #9
Uncle Harvey

Drives: 2011 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
Yes I did it myself... There is an inherent risk in any coating if your not comfortable with prep / detailing. Cquartz is probably the least risky of the bunch. So far it's been a good product, it doesn't bead like waxes do though, but it does make it very easy to clean the car because dirt doesn't stick to the surface as well. I really purchased it to test for longevity, so far so good, but we'll see by the end of summer if it's holding up or not.

Ryan,
Thanks for your input. The two main reasons that this interest me or that it is advertised as a harder coating than the clear coat It also reduces the amount of dirt that sticks to the car. Both of these features would reduce swirl marks and make the general clean up of the car easier. The downside is that it is difficult to apply without screwing up your paint. I do not think that I would try to do this job on my Camaro. I might pay to have it done by a professional that was experienced with the product.

How does the finish look on the car that you did? does it look as good as your car with the Adams Americana? I use Americana on my car and it looks great.

Thanks
Uncle Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
opti product are great across the board, and the revamped spray polishes work great.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Harvey View Post
Ryan,
Thanks for your input. The two main reasons that this interest me or that it is advertised as a harder coating than the clear coat It also reduces the amount of dirt that sticks to the car. Both of these features would reduce swirl marks and make the general clean up of the car easier. The downside is that it is difficult to apply without screwing up your paint. I do not think that I would try to do this job on my Camaro. I might pay to have it done by a professional that was experienced with the product.

How does the finish look on the car that you did? does it look as good as your car with the Adams Americana? I use Americana on my car and it looks great.

Thanks
The finish actually seems more orangepeely... If that makes any sense, it doesn't have the warmth of a carnauba, it has a shine like a sealant.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Pro-Techt

Drives: Yo momma crazy
16 months with Opti-Coat on my car(1/2 of it) so far! Keep in mind I'm washing with Dawn dish detergent weekly(letting it dry on the surface in full sun), monthly harsh touchless washes, hot s. Florida sun(not parked in garage), car runs for 8 hrs per day 5 days a week and nothing has affected the properties of the coating. I use this on all my cars and have used it on dozens of my client's vehicles with equal success. If you're serious about protecting your paint it gets no better. A true sacrifial barrier for your paint. Plus, it's probably the easiest product I've ever used.

Here's a thread on Autopia where I've documented the results: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html
Pro-Techt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #13
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Techt View Post
16 months with Opti-Coat on my car(1/2 of it) so far! Keep in mind I'm washing with Dawn dish detergent weekly(letting it dry on the surface in full sun), monthly harsh touchless washes, hot s. Florida sun(not parked in garage), car runs for 8 hrs per day 5 days a week and nothing has affected the properties of the coating. I use this on all my cars and have used it on dozens of my client's vehicles with equal success. If you're serious about protecting your paint it gets no better. A true sacrifial barrier for your paint. Plus, it's probably the easiest product I've ever used.

Here's a thread on Autopia where I've documented the results: http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html
WOW!

Hello David.

I am a lurker on Autopia and have read your posts there for a long time. Needless to say, I have learned a great deal from your posts and look forward to seeing/reading your posts here.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Cool test David... thats a level of commitment to something that I'm sure not many people are willing to make. Interesting read, thanks for sharing.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote