Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #57
Will@Apf

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
Hey Will, I think you might be the right person to ask this question. In Corvette world (the world that I came from), anyone who wanted to do Turbo, would do a TT. Having two smaller turbo would yield to a quicker response and less lag, especially for DD. There were only a handful in C5 that did big single turbo mainly for drag racing.

Now, with the new Camaro, I see more and more "Single turbo v.s. TT (only one company does TT). My confusion is, we are still dealing with the same V8 LS3 in Corvette, so why a large single turbo with lag v.s. TT for Camaro? Is it because of cost cutting? As someone in Turbo solution, wouldn't you agree a TT would be better and more responsive in low RPM?

Thank you in advance!
Since the Camaro is such a new car, not very many people are wanting to do extreme builds. It seems to be the same issue on the shop side of things, too. The problem is, the stock LS3 block can only handle so much power. That's why you're seeing "small" single turbos instead of twin builds. Nobody wants to spend "that much" money on a Camaro. Not yet, at least.

If the single turbo kit is built properly, there are no lag or spooling issues on this small of a horsepower scale.

We would definitely love to do a twin turbo 2010 Camaro. We just have to find an owner crazy enough to pull the trigger.
Will@Apf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #58
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will@Apf View Post
Since the Camaro is such a new car, not very many people are wanting to do extreme builds. It seems to be the same issue on the shop side of things, too. The problem is, the stock LS3 block can only handle so much power. That's why you're seeing "small" single turbos instead of twin builds. Nobody wants to spend "that much" money on a Camaro. Not yet, at least.

If the single turbo kit is built properly, there are no lag or spooling issues on this small of a horsepower scale.

We would definitely love to do a twin turbo 2010 Camaro. We just have to find an owner crazy enough to pull the trigger.
VERY WELL SAID!!! Exactly my thoughts.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #59
Will@Apf

Drives: corvette
Give it some time, there will be twin turbo camaros everywhere...
Will@Apf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #60
MIAPLAYA

Drives: cHEVY
Well another reason for doing a single turbo is to make it 50 state legal. While a lot of people don't typically care about that those of us in California don't have a choice. Making a kit 50 state legal gives everyone peace of mind when they get pulled over or have to smog the car every couple years.
MIAPLAYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #61
tones2SS

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA View Post
Well another reason for doing a single turbo is to make it 50 state legal. While a lot of people don't typically care about that those of us in California don't have a choice. Making a kit 50 state legal gives everyone peace of mind when they get pulled over or have to smog the car every couple years.
Same thing in MA. Emissions will bust your balls.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #62
Qwkss

Drives: Hoopty Winter Beater
Pricing on this kit??
Qwkss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #63
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkss View Post
Pricing on this kit??
You'll have to contact Turbonetics directly or a vendor for pricing. I'm not a vendor so I don't have any of those details sorry.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #64
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
Here some pics of my car at SEMA. I have some more if u guys want some. The price of the kit should be the same as their stang kit.$7999

Jessica
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #65
tones2SS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
Here some pics of my car at SEMA. I have some more if u guys want some. The price of the kit should be the same as their stang kit.$7999
Very nice.
Nice set-up. Do you have any videos of your car? THANKS!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #66
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Very nice.
Nice set-up. Do you have any videos of your car? THANKS!
Videos coming in the next week or so. Turbonetics was working on the final tuning of the car after SEMA and they are closed this week. Probably another week or so.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #67
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA View Post
Videos coming in the next week or so. Turbonetics was working on the final tuning of the car after SEMA and they are closed this week. Probably another week or so.
This is the cleanest setup I've seen. What's the size of that turbo and any dyno graph to show TQ curve?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 PM   #68
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Rocks View Post
This is the cleanest setup I've seen. What's the size of that turbo and any dyno graph to show TQ curve?
The turbo for the base kit will be a 61mm compressor. I don't have a dyno sheet yet. The car was back on the dyno for more tuning after SEMA and Turbonetics is closed this week so I should have more info on everything next week when everyone is back.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #69
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Is the $8000 with install and tune?
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #70
MIAPLAYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
Is the $8000 with install and tune?
Turbonetics doesn't do installations at their facility. That number is probably not the final price either but I don't know for sure. The kit does come with a tune included so there shouldn't be any need to tune the car after. The kit does also include a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty no fault no hassle. I personally know a G35 guy who had a Turbonetics kit on his car and got into a wreck. His intercooler and a bunch of his piping got mangled and Turbonetics replaced all of it for free without question.