Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
dads67

Drives: 67 camaro
67 327 oil overfill?

ok this afternoon im going to drain my engine oil from my 67 327, when we were putting the engine back in my 67 Camaro the dip stick tube broke in half and we used another out of I think now a newer sbc.

the oil level in the next few days was about 1 qt low then lower, not a drop on the drive way, not smoking running PERFECT.

I checked it again at home and was barly showing on the dip stick, ok then I added 2 qts then drove daughter to practice, as I had been driving approx. 3 -4 min stopped at a red light engine started smoking out the tail pipe HAD NEVER BEFORE JUST TURNED 55,000 ORIG MILES.

white bluish smoke, push gas alittle more smoke, still running great..

looked into getting a new chevy gm long block jegs has for 15000 and rebuilding this orig 327 at some point and re install to keep orig numbers matching.

re thinking it, FIRST when we pulled the engine to reseal I replaced the oil pump, shaft, pan ect and sealed it all up. SHOULD HAVE REPLACED THE VALVE STEM SEALS...

BUT AS A LAST DITCH EFFORT, this afternoon I plan to install the gm dipstick tube and stick drain the oil refil per gm specks check stick and start her up let it idle for 10-15min see if she still smokes

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????? really would rather save the 2000 for engine and swap out but also don't wanna hurt my orig, thinking if this stops the smoking, I just bought a set of stem seals and a compressor ill change them out as well THOUGHTS????
dads67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
dads67

UPDATE#######

installed GM dip stick tube and stick looks like im between 1-2qts OVERFILLED would this make it smoke? still changing oil tonite as well as pulling valve covers and looking at oil drain holes in heads as well as stem seals just got new wheels ans t/a radials on killin me to walk past it sitting in garage not driving it
Old 04-19-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
pcguy2u

Drives: 2009 Corvette ZR1
Am I reading this correctly? Are you asking if there is a possibility that your initial replacement dipstick caused a low reading and based on that reading you added 2 quarts.

Then for some reason, you bought and installed a new and presumably a more correct dipstick and now the oil reads 2 quarts high?

Personally, if I had done an oil change and there were x number of empty quart containers sitting on the counter and I had replaced the dipstick, I definitely would have thought long and hard about adding another two quarts.

Simple test, drain two quarts and let it run for a minute. My guess is that's the problem...

Or, did I misunderstand the sequence of events - wouldn't be the first time.
pcguy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:44 AM   #4
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Drain it, add the correct amount then check the dipstick. That will tell you if you have the correct dipstick.
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:11 AM   #5
jwcarguy

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy2u View Post
Am I reading this correctly? Are you asking if there is a possibility that your initial replacement dipstick caused a low reading and based on that reading you added 2 quarts.

Then for some reason, you bought and installed a new and presumably a more correct dipstick and now the oil reads 2 quarts high?

Personally, if I had done an oil change and there were x number of empty quart containers sitting on the counter and I had replaced the dipstick, I definitely would have thought long and hard about adding another two quarts.

Simple test, drain two quarts and let it run for a minute. My guess is that's the problem...

Or, did I misunderstand the sequence of events - wouldn't be the first time.

X2
jwcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
Do you have a stock or a extra capacity aftermarket oil pan?

I'd drain the oil and replace the filter then refill with oil.

IMHO checking the dipstick after a full oil change is a good way to calibrate it.
I've done this on many cars that used a aftermarket or suspect reading dipstick.
Check the dipstick and adjust the reading as necessary.

Also if it starts to run bad - look at your plugs and see if they got fowled by the excessive oil. If they are oily or all gunked up they may need to be changed.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
dads67

going with new long block

well after fresh correct oil levels and new gm dip stick and tube, starts right up runs strong BUT STILL SMOKES... im going with a new GM long block 4 bolt mail engine from jegs there new engines with 3yr 100,000 mile war on them

ill store and rebuild my numbers matching 327 to re install at some point as its all numbers matching incl paperwork.

its the fastest fix to get her back on the road will be in afew weeks though my mechanic buddy is moving into a new house so wife has him doing chores will post updates as well as pics on swap
Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
I get that your in a rush.
I'd suggest you have it looked at so you know there is a problem with the 327.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
pcguy2u

When this thread first got going, it appeared to be a simple fix mostly because of the coincidence of the oil change and the smoke. The link below offers a number of possible causes, including the PCV and trans modulator that is vacuum controlled.

http://autoleak.com/Oil/Blue-Smoke-From-Exhaust.php
Old 04-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #10
pcguy2u

Would you also clarify whether it's blue or white - there's a big difference??
Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #11
c5z28
Banned

Drives: Camaro, Corvette, c10 pickup
I noticed mine smoked(brand new engine) when I overfilled the pan.
Aftermarket supposedly 7 quart capacity.... Burned oil until it reach about a 6 quart capacity(also had windage issues with 7 and oil pressure fluctuating)
Now I put in 6 which barely reads on the dipstick and haven't had an issue since. Doesn't go down, doesn't burn, and oil pressure is rock steady at 60 until 6000, above that it goes to 65 and stays there
c5z28 is offline   Reply With Quote