Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
ORANGA2D

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6
Bluetooth and phones

I am looking for a smartphone that will pair with my car for sure. I have a Pantech Breakout http://pantechusa.com/phones/breakout with Verizon. And it doesnt stay connected to the car. The phone is ok but I am going to upgrade.

I am looking to see what you all have that pairs and stays connected with no issues to our cars.
ORANGA2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
INtha305

Drives: 2010 camaro lt
iPhone
INtha305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
iPhone 4S, if you don't want to deal with issues like you're experiencing, look into reviews on a phone you may be interested in, and see what other people are saying about it.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
my Galaxy S3 (personal),
Motorola Droid 4(company),
Droid Pro(wife), and
Iphone (niece's)

all work without issue..

Blackberrys don't seem to like streaming music via BT.

I use my Galaxy S3 95% of the time, it connects the phone and music as soon as the car is started, only thing I have to do is start the music on the phone.

I get no display from it on the HUD or Radio though, like I do with my nieces iphone.

I can still advance the music and such via the steering or radio, whether it is from Google Play or Pandora.

I usually just pick a pandora channel and go, I don't mess with the radio while I am driving, so it works for me.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

also, if you go into a Verizon Store, most of the workers have the various phones themselves, you can ask them to connect it to your car and try it before you buy it..

at least the guys at my local store are cool like that, then again I manage 151 phones and broadband devices for my company and am in that store all the freaking time and they know me.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #6
ORANGA2D

I am looking at the Motorola Droid 4 and a couple others but mainly the Motorola Droid 4 . So if that has no issues I will see if they can pair one up to see.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGA2D View Post
I am looking at the Motorola Droid 4 and a couple others but mainly the Motorola Droid 4 . So if that has no issues I will see if they can pair one up to see.

Droid 4 isn't a bad phone, I am not a fan of motorola's interface the moto-blur.. When compared to the Galaxy S3, the droid 4 reminds me of an out of date device.

also Motorola/Verizon decided not to run the ICS (android 4.0) update for the Droid 4 so you will be stuck with Gingerbread 2.3.

if you are set on a Motorola I would suggest at minimum the Razr Maxx, at least then you will have a phone that is up to date and current, the Droid 4 is technically obsolete, as motorola has announced "end of life" as of Jan 2013, meaning no more updates or support.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Sprint HTC Hero Droid. No problems. Even rings in the car if I'm about 20' away with the phone in my pocket.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
samikep

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS Ashen Gray
I have a Windows Phone and have no issues.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
jesslz

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS RS M6 "Ruby"
Anyone know how to get iphone 4s phonebook to work with the dial button on the steering wheel? I can use siri to dial, but I wasn't sure if there was a way to do it through the call button instead.
jesslz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
ORANGA2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
Droid 4 isn't a bad phone, I am not a fan of motorola's interface the moto-blur.. When compared to the Galaxy S3, the droid 4 reminds me of an out of date device.

also Motorola/Verizon decided not to run the ICS (android 4.0) update for the Droid 4 so you will be stuck with Gingerbread 2.3.

if you are set on a Motorola I would suggest at minimum the Razr Maxx, at least then you will have a phone that is up to date and current, the Droid 4 is technically obsolete, as motorola has announced "end of life" as of Jan 2013, meaning no more updates or support.
I went the LG Lucid. I dont need anything fancy. I use the phone mainly for calling, texting and for maps, some apps (and of course had to be sure it connects to the car). Driod 4 was there as was the Razr. I was going to go with the Razr. The LG was $50 cheaper and did all the same stuff, just with a bit less memory. I can add more as needed in a SD card, so I went with that. I have a 30 day return guarantee. If it doesnt work out I will go with the Galaxy S3…most likely. But thanks for all the info it helped a lot, I appreciated it!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post

I have D4 and Verizon, with ICS version 4.0.4.
The update was pushed to my phone about 3 weeks ago.
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslz View Post
Anyone know how to get iphone 4s phonebook to work with the dial button on the steering wheel? I can use siri to dial, but I wasn't sure if there was a way to do it through the call button instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
I have D4 and Verizon, with ICS version 4.0.4.
The update was pushed to my phone about 3 weeks ago.
really.. I just checked mine and it still says "no updates"
Old 09-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGA2D View Post
I went the LG Lucid. I dont need anything fancy. I use the phone mainly for calling, texting and for maps, some apps (and of course had to be sure it connects to the car). Driod 4 was there as was the Razr. I was going to go with the Razr. The LG was $50 cheaper and did all the same stuff, just with a bit less memory. I can add more as needed in a SD card, so I went with that. I have a 30 day return guarantee. If it doesnt work out I will go with the Galaxy S3…most likely. But thanks for all the info it helped a lot, I appreciated it!

I like LG phones.. but being in the position I am in, I have to have what other users (Executives mostly) use in the company, and they all have the latest and greatest and change phones like I change socks.

if it were up to me I would have a simple flip phone, but I have to be available 24/7 and have 24/7 access to email and text for my job and have to be able to troubleshoot phone issues with the non-techies and the easiest way is to have what they have...