Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Drives: 2010 IBM RS/SS, 2018 Toyota Tacoma
A/C belt shredding - see post #11 for updated details.

Brothers and Sisters - I need some help ... (I tried searching all the possible combinations of my issues, but to no avail...)

Luke at Blu 808 (great shop, great guy - highly recommended to any NorCals!) installed a Maggie 2300 on my buddy's 2011 L99. He keeps shredding a/c belts (on #3). Luke and Blu 808 have taken very good care of him, but wanted to see if I could help end the madness. Anyone else have this issue and know how to resolve it? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Speed

Last edited by Speed Kills; 07-31-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Speed Kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
bigsquirrel
My car runs on acorns....

Drives: 2010 SS RS Inferno Orange
Dumb question, I'm sure they are great guys. Are they installing it properly? It's a stretch to fit and there are tons of ways to get it on there but if you stretch it to much they will shred again real quick. (Actually mean that they kind of fall apart from the inside out.)

2.9 Polished Whipple, Kooks LT 1 7/8 headers, HiFlow Cats, Kooks Sleeper catback, Cooling Mist Methanol Injection, PFADT Sport Sways, PFADT Springs, PFADT rear trailing arms, ADM intake, JDP stainless brake lines, Jegs Catch can, Stock SS wheels widened to 10 3/4, Hawks HPS Pads, Pedders Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts, BMR Center Brace, MSD BAP, AAC side markers, Emblem Pro's Custom Lighted Door Sills, Dash-Floor-Cupholder ABL lighting and other stuff....
bigsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Is the belt alignment good?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
I shredded one when I was bone stock. Put on an aftermarket belt and all is good. Was told the factory belts were bad but after shredding just one I went aftermarket.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquirrel View Post
Dumb question, I'm sure they are great guys. Are they installing it properly? It's a stretch to fit and there are tons of ways to get it on there but if you stretch it to much they will shred again real quick. (Actually mean that they kind of fall apart from the inside out.)
To the best of my knowledge, yes the install is correct and proper. Like I said, not my car, but Luke at 808 stands by his work. Perhaps other members who have used them can chime in ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Is the belt alignment good?
Yes.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
I shredded one when I was bone stock. Put on an aftermarket belt and all is good. Was told the factory belts were bad but after shredding just one I went aftermarket.
What type of belt did you go with?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
Brothers and Sisters - I need some help ... (I tried searching all the possible combinations of my issues, but to no avail...)

Luke at Blu 808 (great shop, great guy - highly recommended to any NorCals!) installed a Maggie 2300 on my buddy's 2011 L99. He keeps shredding a/c belts (on #3). Luke and Blu 808 have taken very good care of him, but wanted to see if I could help end the madness. Anyone else have this issue and know how to resolve it? Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Speed
3 years ago my car was doing that too. I think when Ted jumped off the gas suddenly the belt would pop off. He would need to chime in to state exactly what causes it. Driving on the street no problems at all but when it's at the track or on the dyno we remove the a/c belt.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
3 years ago my car was doing that too. I think when Ted jumped off the gas suddenly the belt would pop off. He would need to chime in to state exactly what causes it. Driving on the street no problems at all but when it's at the track or on the dyno we remove the a/c belt.
That's cheating you know.lol....
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Had the same problem with the AC belt also after 1000 miles it flipped and shredded at the track. Replaced it with an aftermarket one not a problem since with plenty of track time also.
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
What type of belt did you go with?
Got it from Autozone, not sure what brand.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
Speed Kills
Live to Drive

Update-
The belt is shredding as a result of the a crank pulley wobble. The factory pulley has been replaced and the problem still exists. The local dealership will not warranty the problem. Is this wobble common? Here is a pic of the belt and the place where it splits.

Look closely by the lettering on the belt. I've been told this could be a manufacturing defect and might require engine replacement - not sure if this is true.

Any guidance is appreciated. Sorry to bump an older thread, but I'm staying with my buddy who owns the car and he and I are going to another dealership on Friday to see what the deal is. Wanted to be armed with as much info as possible.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
If the pulley is wobbling around, you either have a bent pulley, or a bent crank. My guess is its a bent crank, and that's why they don't want to warranty it. If the car is basically stock I would start fighting with GM about it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
If the pulley is wobbling around, you either have a bent pulley, or a bent crank. My guess is its a bent crank, and that's why they don't want to warranty it. If the car is basically stock I would start fighting with GM about it.

Edit: Sorry, I went back and read through the entire post. Your likely in trouble with the warranty.

American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
victoryred1ss

Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
I have seen a couple Camaros bone stock come in with the belt coming apart in the same spot. I would try an aftermarket belt as said above
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote