Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Thumbs up SOLO Axle Back and X Pipe Install - Detailed Summary

Hi all,
I wanted to document my new exhaust journey, as it took a lot of researching through many, many pages of helpful posts, and hopefully this summary helps others looking for answers. I replaced my Flowmaster Super 44's welded in for the SOLO axle back w/ J pipes. I did this strictly for a different sound.
- Quality is excellent.

- Sounds great - I was concerned about drone, but those J pipes really work. The decel popping was a bit too much for my taste, just a preference thing. I did the axel back for price, but after getting a taste, I really wanted to replace the stock pseudo h-pipe and resonators. The hole in the stock h is tiny. It's interesting that Chevy went this route, whilst going with x pipes in the Corvette.

I never could find in my forum research if the LS3 resonators were to quiet down or prevent drone in the stock system. Nevertheless, I went with the Magnaflow resonated X pipe. It's a large muffler, so I felt that removing the whole stock piece - h-pipe and resonators would be ok as the resonated X serves both purposes.

This calmed down the decel popping, and provided an overall cleaner, smoother tone. I also felt a low end torque increase, reminded me of LS2 engine/torque feel from my GTO days. Sound wise, the tiny bit of drone I had at about 2000 RPM was gone as well. I didn't even adjust the J pipes any. I also have an LMR intake installed which may account for that tiny bit of drone. It was very tolerable mind you, nothing I couldn't have lived with. The sound is great at WOT, cruising is nice and quiet - no drone. Overall, it sounds great, just wishing for a bit more ggggrowwwl - high flows?

A big shout out for the great service and prices at ACE muffler here in Orange County. Chris and Carl? (bad with names) were great, friendly and real car dudes. If anyone in OC needs exhaust work, I highly recommend them. I'm now wanting the SOLO high flows - really bad!! I'm hoping that resonated X and J pipes will control enough volume and any drone from those - while keeping that aggressive growl intact. We shall see....

Somewhatdamaged

Last edited by somewhatdamaged; 01-11-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: duplicate pic
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
2012REDSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
You will love the solo hi flow cats. I just installed mine a week ago. My advice is get different hardware (grade 5 comes with the high flows) and use hi temp copper rtv to seal each connection. I chased a cel for a few days because of a leak. Got a video yet?
2012REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
somewhatdamaged

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012REDSS View Post
You will love the solo hi flow cats. I just installed mine a week ago. My advice is get different hardware (grade 5 comes with the high flows) and use hi temp copper rtv to seal each connection. I chased a cel for a few days because of a leak. Got a video yet?
Yeah, can't wait to get them, just hoping I can pick up some used ones. No video yet - I'll try and make one with my Galaxy Nexus lol. As far as the hardware, do you mean grade 8 and if so, what size? I read that if you are doing it yourself that longer bolts may be helpful. Also, do you have pics of your install? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Nice set up. The Solo high flows are a great option. I'd imagine you'll stay drone free...might have to tweak the J-pipes a bit however.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Alright, since you guys are talking about Solo Performance here I thought I would jump in with a question. Right now I am torn between the Borla Atak and the Solo Performance Mach XL w/J Pipes. Some of the video clips that I have listened to kind of make the Solo Performance sound soft but I wanted to ask for opinion. I am looking for something deep and throaty. Secondly, is it worth it to get high flow cats put on at the same time? I eventually plan on putting on headers, but thats like 5 years down the road.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
somewhatdamaged

Exclamation

The SOLO sound is the farthest thing from soft - the advantage of their systems are the J pipes which will control drone. The SOLO is like a straight pipe made better. Borla is popular and the clips of that system sound good. They are pricey though, and my experience in the past with them (although not the ATAK version) was that they do drone. You many not be sensitive to drone, in which case it won't matter. The SOLO high flow cats have shown great gains - I'm looking to do these as well, but I do not plan on headers. I think that is what you need to decide. I've done long tubes before, and for me the simplicity of a bolt on cat is the more economical solution while still gaining a decent amount of HP over the stockers.

Somewhatdamaged
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I need to break in my Flowmaster Outlaws, but if still to boomy in cabin at 1-2500 rpm I will do the resonated x pipe as I did no my 2010 v6. Does calm down the bom and drone
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
somewhatdamaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
I need to break in my Flowmaster Outlaws, but if still to boomy in cabin at 1-2500 rpm I will do the resonated x pipe as I did no my 2010 v6. Does calm down the bom and drone
Yeah, I debated on the Outlaws too - really like the sound and I'm a Flowmaster fan. Ultimately as it's almost a muffler delete style as well, I thought there would be a bit of drone. I think the J pipes on the SOLO really make the biggest difference. My resonated X smoothed the tone and limited the decel popping a lot. The drone I had was minimal and it did get rid of that too. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
Yeah, I debated on the Outlaws too - really like the sound and I'm a Flowmaster fan. Ultimately as it's almost a muffler delete style as well, I thought there would be a bit of drone. I think the J pipes on the SOLO really make the biggest difference. My resonated X smoothed the tone and limited the decel popping a lot. The drone I had was minimal and it did get rid of that too. Good luck!
Any chance you could post a few clips?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #10
somewhatdamaged

Gonna try and get some clips this weekend.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
rberns: I just posted on another thread regarding my Solo axle back J-pipes vs the Borla exhaust.
At a car show this past summer I was parked next to another SS with the Borla exhaust.
I may be biased but in my opinion the Solo exhaust had a much deeper more aggressive sound.
Again IMO.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
stros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The solo exhaust looks like it's straight pipes. Are there no mufflers on it? Wondering if this is even going to be legal to run in CA.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
somewhatdamaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by stros View Post
The solo exhaust looks like it's straight pipes. Are there no mufflers on it? Wondering if this is even going to be legal to run in CA.
It is straight pipe - honestly not that overbearing loud that it would attract attention from the cops. As far as technically louder than "legal" not sure, but you are not removing cats or anything. It sounds great, and the inside is not annoying and booming due to the J pipes.