Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-12-2024, 04:43 PM   #29
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD555 View Post
I also kept mine a few ticks off cold but it went anyway. It is like 1/4 warm all the time. I take the heater hoses off and put a bypass in it during the summer and it was never so cold as with no hot water going in there. In the winter I hook it up. To warm the cabin up I put it on recirc till i get comfortable and put it on outside air. If i get cold back to recic. Screw it im not doing that repair. Takes 5 min to put in the U bypass.

Dang! Seems as if anyone who leaves their AC knob a few clicks away from the cold setting... it is still bound to happen at one point or another...

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:46 PM   #30
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
I remember a forum member that was a service tech for chevy saying no matter where you leave the heat setting it still goes through the close cycle. i wonder what happened to that guy? he was a wealth of knowledge.
22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 05:57 PM   #31
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitWhite11 View Post
Update: The line with the cap that goes on top of the radiator is not cold at all when the AC was left running for a bit. Looks like it is out of freon. I still haven't gotten a chance to take the car to a shop yet to have a look at due to my work schedule and family life. Fingers crossed for next week!
As I posted oh so long ago, it does appear that your high side port went bad and leaked all the Freon out.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 06:01 PM   #32
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Dang! Seems as if anyone who leaves their AC knob a few clicks away from the cold setting... it is still bound to happen at one point or another...
Thing is, I'm willing to bet he doesn't actually have a bad blend door and instead his port leaked all the freon out which would make all the work for doing the bypass pointless since all he would have to do is replace the port and refill the freon.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:06 PM   #33
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
As I posted oh so long ago, it does appear that your high side port went bad and leaked all the Freon out.

Yes I remember. What is the average cost these days to correct this and refill with freon? I know R12 is no longer in use and they now use the 134A.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:09 PM   #34
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Thing is, I'm willing to bet he doesn't actually have a bad blend door and instead his port leaked all the freon out which would make all the work for doing the bypass pointless since all he would have to do is replace the port and refill the freon.

After you mentioned it, I'm starting to think the same with everything I have read so far on this issue.

Old 02-12-2024, 06:21 PM   #35
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Yes I remember. What is the average cost these days to correct this and refill with freon? I know R12 is no longer in use and they now use the 134A.
A new port with a schrader valve is less than $10, then from empty it takes I think one 20 oz can of freon. If it is totally empty, you can replace and fill yourself with either the special socket or using two wrenches for about $40. If you take it somewhere, it depends on their rate.

Quote:
After you mentioned it, I'm starting to think the same with everything I have read so far on this issue.
That is why every time I see a post about a possible blend door failure now, that is the first thing I tell them to check. The port going bad has been acknowledged by GM as an issue that requires yearly inspection and constant replacement and exhibits the exact same symptoms as the blend door.
Old 02-12-2024, 07:16 PM   #36
SummitWhite11

Quote:
A new port with a schrader valve is less than $10, then from empty it takes I think one 20 oz can of freon. If it is totally empty, you can replace and fill yourself with either the special socket or using two wrenches for about $40. If you take it somewhere, it depends on their rate.

This is good info and does not sound bad at all!

Old 02-20-2024, 01:41 PM   #37
SummitWhite11

Update: Was off work the past three days and got a lot done with the Camaro. Was able to bring the car into a local shop today for AC service and they found that there was no freon and it was bone dry. They refilled it and it is running normal now with cold air coming through. However, they added a dye and if I run out again they will be able to see where the leak is coming in from. So for now all is good and there are no issues with the blend door at the moment

Old 02-20-2024, 04:21 PM   #38
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
yea, but no heat Blend DOOR
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:25 PM   #39
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
yea, but no heat Blend DOOR

What do you mean? My heat has been working fine all this time, it was my AC that quit blowing cold air. Both are functioning normal as of now.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:30 AM   #40
Mr_Draco

Quote:
However, they added a dye and if I run out again they will be able to see where the leak is coming in from. So for now all is good and there are no issues with the blend door at the moment
You don't need to wait at all to find the leak (if it was empty to start with you have a leak). The dye that is used is fluorescent dye. If you have a black light, you can check right now and find the leak. The system is under constant pressure and will leak all the time, not just when in use.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:59 AM   #41
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
mine broke to were i have AC but no heat
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:09 PM   #42
SummitWhite11

I believe it finally happened... AC blend door??

Quote:
You don't need to wait at all to find the leak (if it was empty to start with you have a leak). The dye that is used is fluorescent dye. If you have a black light, you can check right now and find the leak. The system is under constant pressure and will leak all the time, not just when in use.

I knew I still had a leak but was just a matter of time before it happened again. They hooked it up and let it run for 15 mins or so and so far couldn't detect a leak. They told me to come back if it happens again and they will fix it. And you weren't kidding... looks like all of my freon got dumped again and there is none left. Ha! Looks like a trip back to the shop.

Btw i’ll pick up a black light from Harbor Freight on the way home from work and have a look see at where the leak is coming from. I won’t be able to take it back to the shop till next week Tuesday anyhow.

Last edited by SummitWhite11; 02-21-2024 at 04:41 PM.