Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #43
briannutter

Drives: C4Vette,C5-Z06,Cherokee
Robin.... just buy a 2nd car There...I said it and now it's stuck in your head.:seesaw:
briannutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #44
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannutter View Post
Robin.... just buy a 2nd car There...I said it and now it's stuck in your head.:seesaw:
HEhehe, yeah that would work. I have to be careful what I say.

And I am not employed or speak for GM. I have a working relationship with GM Performance Parts. That allows me to get some answers.

All of the opinions expressed by me are my own.

I race, I dyno, and I get to play with a lot of cool stuff. I will share that information.

Hopefully it will allow others to enjoy their passion as much as I do.

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #45
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
First I don't know very much about that auto trans. It hasn't been around long enough to beat up on it and figure it out.

The TVS 1900 would be a much better choice for a stock LS3.

I have talked to the guys at Harrop as well as Eaton. The TVS 2300 is capable of moving enough air to support in excess of 900 horsepower at the crankshaft.
The TVS 1900 is capable of north of 700 and close to 800 in the right situation.
The LS3 is tough but it's going to live a short life if you spend a lot of time in those numbers. A quick hit every now and them maybe.

One of the reasons that the ZR1 hasent't been turned up is that it has to pass strict durability testing. Your LS3 isn't made to take that kind of power.

Again people will go that direction and some will get by. But IMO the TVS design superchargers move a lot of air. Your going to need to build a strong shortblock to hold the power.

Robin
Robin,

You have a wealth of experience that we all appreciate. Could you recommend a modest cam that would compliment a supercharger such as the TVS 1900. Additionally, the L99 with its AFM and VVT seems very restricted to any cam changes based upon it having relieved pistons for valve clearance . Is there something, even in the mild arena that can be swapped into the L99 that would compliment a supercharger and still retain operation VVT and AFM

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #46
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Some of them I'm sure won't fit but several like the Maggy are very low profile and I would expect them to fit just fine.
X2 I think Whipple and KB makes some nice low-profile blower too. I think if that Maggy' will fit under a G8 hood, we have a good chance a 1900 will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
HEhehe, yeah that would work. I have to be careful what I say.

And I am not employed or speak for GM. I have a working relationship with GM Performance Parts. That allows me to get some answers.

All of the opinions expressed by me are my own.

I race, I dyno, and I get to play with a lot of cool stuff. I will share that information.

Hopefully it will allow others to enjoy their passion as much as I do.

Robin
I think I remember Magnusun saying that 1900 will support up to around 800 horse or something crazy. They did say, like you did, that you need to build the engine, tranny, and rest of the car to handle it, but the potential is there. Because of how much you've said the 2300 will go up to I wonder how much potential the LS9 really has with some more stout parts. I know it's all forged and has a bunch of other goodies, but it sounds like there's a lot left on the table, power-wise.

Do you know if GMPP could be working on a SC kit for the V8s (or V6s for that matter)?

Thanks

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #47
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Thank you Robin.

p.s.-I want your job
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #48
crazyd

Drives: Cyber grey
I am testing a 1900 Harrop/eaton supercharger now with stock engine and we only have it at 3 pounds to start and turning 500tqrw at 2200 RPM .. If that helps. I am posting my test results at motor mods forum if you are interested
crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #49
Whipple Charged

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
The TVs is twice the blower the regular magnacharger is. Look it up it's the best of both worlds. Easy to install like a roots but with the lower discharge temperatures found in axial compressors.
Eaton Gen 1-5 are all roots. Eaton TVS which Magnusson uses in later kits is a roots. The difference is 100deg of more helix, 1 more lobe and revised port shapes. There all still roots-type superchargers or pumps.
Whipple Charged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #50
Whipple Charged

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
word: I think we're going to get some really good numbers with this kinda' set-up. I've quoted a Popular Hotrodding (I think, it's been a while) article where they tested either a KB or Whipple Mustang and got great numbers and they also tested a G8 with an MP1900 and got great numbers there too. I believe the MP1900 had a higher horsepower limit (800) than the KB/Whipple (700) but what was funny was, was the KB/Whipple was actually like a 2.3L supercharger, so it actually was larger than the MP1900. Anyhoo, I think the Maggy' has come up [/QUOTE]

You cannot compare 2 SC's on 2 different makes (Ford vs Chevy). I think KB and I would jump at any chance to run a true back to back test with our superchargers. No doubt, Eaton stepped up its game with the TVS so competition is tighter, but there is still no comparison when used in the right application, twin screw's internal compression creates lower temps, lower power consumption and higher VE's than any roots. And thats with identically sized SC's, when you start talking about increased displacement, its a new game.
Whipple Charged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #51
jklipan

Drives: Druid 2SS/RS LS3 Summit White
All:

I hear that GM will formally release an approved superchager for the 2010 that will not void the warranty. Is this the Procharger? Does anyone have any inside information about this?
jklipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #52
Wileytrigger21

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT / RS, Blk 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jklipan View Post
All:

I hear that GM will formally release an approved superchager for the 2010 that will not void the warranty. Is this the Procharger? Does anyone have any inside information about this?

That would b sweet
Wileytrigger21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #53
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
All:

that wud be awesome...but i don't think thats true :(
Old 12-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #54
JM10
Se habla espaņol

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
FORD has one, so why not
JM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #55
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
Quote:
All:

If they are it's news to me.....

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #56
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Enlighten Us

So clear up the GM supercharger warranty myth for us please.

Under any circumstances can I have a aftermarket supercharger installed on my new 2010 camaro and keep the powertrain warranty intact?

Can a GM dealerships service supervisor decide to honor my warranty with aftermarket supercharger regardless of what GM officials say?

Can they take it upon themselves to override this policy and perform warranty service at there dealership shop?

Would they?

Really????

Thanks
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote