Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #15
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Holy Sheet...that first picture took my breath away.

Glad you're halfway home to a complete fix. Knock wood.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #16
Jiba6669

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Vert
Great write up and pics as well good luck~
Jiba6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #17
joesaxton
Joe

Drives: 2012 45th Ann. Edition Lt2 Convert
Great Pictures and write up. So far I have been fortunate and have had no issues but my Camaro is only 5 months old. I have had the service performed on the top and it seems to be working very well. Information exchange is valuable. Thanks again.
joesaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #18
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
Where did they run the new tubes to?
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #19
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikess581 View Post
Where did they run the new tubes to?
Bad photography job on my part! They ran them to existing body panel holes that are in the far back corners of the trunk. Best I can tell without pulling the muffler to see the drain and removing interior trunk liners, I can feel the tubes go in that general vicinity. They pulled out existing plastic plugs in some holes and the end of the tube was designed to snap into the existing holes.

Sorry I didn't get a photo of that!
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
great thanks for the info and good luck!
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
vanlieremead
Chris

Drives: 2011 2SS RS Jewel Red 6.2L Vert
SSTOKED,

Great pictures. It took a lot of effort to outline this. Comments: I've never had my bag replaced - I've never had water in the car. After I wash my Camaro on my downward inclined driveway, tail downward, I pull the car into the garage to drive to hear the water draining out of the back somewhere. It drains onto the garage floor. I assume that is the bag in operation.

I still don't fully understand the purpose of the bag - seems to me that the design should get rid of water ASAP. Do other OEM vert's have bags?

Prior post: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196827
vanlieremead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
I have 15k miles on mine and haven't had a problem with water management or wet carpets.

Is there a TSB on this or did the dealer do it for you?

Also, I have never had an issue with the 5 bow and this car has had the top up and down many times. Mostly down than up.

Just wondering if this is something I should address with my SM when I take it in this month to the the Gen III design of the top installed.

My thought, if it's not broke not worth fixing.

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #23
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlieremead View Post
I still don't fully understand the purpose of the bag - seems to me that the design should get rid of water ASAP. Do other OEM vert's have bags?
Since the Camaro top comes out of a hole and does not shingle over the body of the car the bag is there is direct water that runs down the sides and back of the top to the ground. I'm not familiar with other makes of automatic soft tops so I can't really speak to how they are designed. I peaked in my friends older Sebring and you could tell it had some sort of water management system. My sister's Pontiac Soltice even has a small bag on the back that catches any small amount of water that gets by the trunk lid near the rag top.
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #24
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
I have 15k miles on mine and haven't had a problem with water management or wet carpets.
Consider yourself lucky that they manufactured it correctly. The GM tech that replaced mine said he has successfully repaired 4 older design water bags by just relocating that fold that I show in the pics above. Yours was probably installed correctly at the factory.

Quote:
No TSB went to any customers regarding leaks that I know of. We just have to notice the leak on our own and bring the car to the dealer. When they couldn't fix my leak by themselves and I was the persistent customer demanding latest revision hardware, they did the research and ordered the new bag after talking with the district manager.

Quote:
Also, I have never had an issue with the 5 bow and this car has had the top up and down many times. Mostly down than up.
I'm not up to speed on the 5th bow issue. I know my dealer replaced it during their attempts to fix the leak but that was during the dark 22 days of my life when I didn't have my car.

Quote:
Just wondering if this is something I should address with my SM when I take it in this month to the the Gen III design of the top installed.

Are you saying you are getting a new Gen III top? If you are happy with yours, I would probably leave it alone and keep your eye on it. I doubt they will change it if you aren't having problems. Definitely check it before the end of the warranty.

MODS:
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
Are you saying you are getting a new Gen III top? If you are happy with yours, I would probably leave it alone and keep your eye on it. I doubt they will change it if you aren't having problems. Definitely check it before the end of the warranty.
I am getting the Gen III top.

The biggest problem with my top are the wrinkles or waves between bows 1 and 2 along with the typical rub marks.

-Funk
2012 Convert 2SS/RS SW/IO LS3 - Build #1081

07/21/2011 - (3800) Order produced and vehicle is being prepared for shipping.
08/09/2011 - (4200) Shipped (vehicle is shipped to the dealer or interim point of delivery).
08/16/2011 - (5000) Vehicle has been delivered to dealer.
08/19/2011 - In my possession.
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #26
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

-Funk
If you would like me to check your VIN for any open recalls or programs available to you, please feel free to send it to me via PM. We are available at your convenience!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
SSTOKED

Update with another picture...

This picture points out the problem area that the GM field engineer pointed out to me on my car. He has found this area to be the problem on five of the leaking Camaros he has fixed (including mine). Keep in mind that this picture shows a new and non-leaking water bag. On older revision water bags, the fold of water bag material that I circled is too small and/or not positioned properly thereby letting water drip into the "dry side" of the interior. On a non-leaking car, as shown in the picture, the fold should be hanging over the edge of the interior body panel.
Attached Images

MODS:
Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #28
HFD15

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I got in my 11 vert the other morning and it smelled like water standing, havent had a chance to check it yet, any special place to look.
HFD15 is offline   Reply With Quote