Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #15
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
how many miles.

If I was offered $22K for my 2012 I would probably throat punch the guy who made the offer
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens ss View Post
Good luck with the stock market, it has been a rocky road this last year. I think I lost more than I have lost on cars lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
Oh, and people go broke everyday in the stock market.
You missed my point. Buying and flipping cars for profit just isn't the way to make money. I hate to break it to people, but they're in the wrong business if that's what they hope for when buying a car. I always laugh when people make threads saying, "Is the Hotwheels edition worth something now?" or "How much can I get for my 45th...it's gotta be worth more, right?"
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
I keep my cars long enough to slide through the depreciation curve. The Camaro will probably just be handed down to one of my boys. My first car was an '83 Trans Am so I'll let the tradition continue...
Same. I still plan to have my 2012 SS for at least 30 years. To me, buying cars isn't about the money, value, and what I can get on resale, but about the enjoyment of driving them.
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #18
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Actually the Camaro holds value well according to reports. And we love them, the lowballing some will go to has to be countered with their readouts, I traded a 2011 2ss/rs vert I got for 40 the next year un modded and got 33 with 5k on the odometer. You say oh that's horrible= no , any car drops 5k just driving off the lot! SO 2k for driving a year in a vert was expensive but worth it as you cannot lease one for that...

And it was winter and they sold it for 31.... I got lucky, the new car was 40 with all the options I wanted, and they were glad to make the trade, I showed the KBB value and told them literally I would walk if they did not accept the value.... Had to go by the manager, as they had offered less of course......
Old 09-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #19
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanys 2SS View Post
I cant believe how low the values have fallen on my 2013 Camaro 2SS only to get worse when the 2016 is out. stealerships making offers starting at $22,000

actually sounds about right. 30k KBB is a dream, never going to get that private party unless somebody really stupid with a lot of money happens along. upper 20's is a realistic number. like any other business, a car dealership exists to make money. the only way they're going to do that is if they buy the car for 30% or so less than they can sell it for. maybe some of that goes into a fountain , but most is used to pay the overhead (taxes, lease, utilities, insurances etc) and the employees. it's really not that complicated, and kind of surprising how few people actually understand it. sure, in fantasy land you could buy a car a $1 over cost, get free maintenance, repairs and then sell it for the same amount the dealership could resell it for. but that would be fantasy land, not reality. and add to that the camaro is a low appeal car that will probably sit on the lot for quite awhile.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #20
Kens ss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS , L99 convertible
Recently, I have seen a few posts where, someone is shocked that thier Camaro has lost value, simply by going with one or two lowball offers from a dealer. (sure cars do depreciate), but not necessarily to the lowball offer.

First of all, I have found using the NADA guide, has been much closer to real evaluation and is also what banks use to determine loan value.

Second of all, when trying to sell your car to a dealer, the circumstances can make a difference in as much as a several thousand dollar difference... Example below:

1: simply going to dealer and asking what will you give me for my car? You can certainly expect a lowball wholesale offer. They are in the business to make money.

2: going to. Dealer and seriously considering a purchase, then negotiate the purchase price, then say you want them to consider trading in your car. The trick here, is your already have locked in the purchase price (never go in saying I want a car for x amount a month, or I am looking to trade in my car). Now that the purchase price is locked in, if they offer too low for your trade, you can reject or negotiate. If they have a strong motivation to sell you the car, they are more likely to offer more for your trade.

If you are looking at a used (like new) car, you never know what they paid. They may have acquired it from someone desperately needing the money, and they got it with a lowball offer.
In this case, the dealer may be making such a good profit that they can afford to pay higher for yours.
Kens ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
Trifecta23

Drives: 2013 Dusk 2ss/RS conv.
If you type in autotrader your description it will give you an idea what your car is advertised price. Dealers want to invest about 20% less than that I assume.

Best bet is to sell it private. No shame in that.

But seriously why sell it? If your answer is you don't want to make payment on a vert through the winter then you have a little more insight on why they are not giving you crap for it while the leaves are falling.

jdm
Trifecta23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #22
Trifecta23

Drives: 2013 Dusk 2ss/RS conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens ss View Post
Recently, I have seen a few posts where, someone is shocked that thier Camaro has lost value, simply by going with one or two lowball offers from a dealer. (sure cars do depreciate), but not necessarily to the lowball offer.

First of all, I have found using the NADA guide, has been much closer to real evaluation and is also what banks use to determine loan value.

Second of all, when trying to sell your car to a dealer, the circumstances can make a difference in as much as a several thousand dollar difference... Example below:

1: simply going to dealer and asking what will you give me for my car? You can certainly expect a lowball wholesale offer. They are in the business to make money.

2: going to. Dealer and seriously considering a purchase, then negotiate the purchase price, then say you want them to consider trading in your car. The trick here, is your already have locked in the purchase price (never go in saying I want a car for x amount a month, or I am looking to trade in my car). Now that the purchase price is locked in, if they offer too low for your trade, you can reject or negotiate. If they have a strong motivation to sell you the car, they are more likely to offer more for your trade.

If you are looking at a used (like new) car, you never know what they paid. They may have acquired it from someone desperately needing the money, and they got it with a lowball offer.
In this case, the dealer may be making such a good profit that they can afford to pay higher for yours.

Good advice

jdm
Trifecta23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #23
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
This is what I have done in the past and usually goes well ...
Took the car in for appraisals at a few places:
e.g. Carmax, Auctions Direct, new car Dealers, and Large used car lots

Some of them will give an appraisal printed out and it shows how many days the appraisal value is guaranteed for, good for a certain number of days (e.g. appraisal amount good for 10 days from the appraisal date).

Next, called up car dealers around the region and ask them if they will likely match an existing written appraisal I have on my car if I were to purchase a vehicle from them. If highest appraisal was from Carmax, I would be specific and ask the dealer if they could match that appraisal. When I found a dealer that said they can likely match, then I write down that person's name. And tell them will be back in touch when I decide on what new car I want to purchase.

In the final step I search for the exact new car I want, find special discounts, internet pricing, get owner loyalty discount from Chevy or GM, private offer discount, etc. . Then work with the dealer on the final out the door price.
I do not reveal that I want to trade-in a car when doing this step ... if salesperson asks about a trade I just say I am only concentrating now on finding a new vehicle.

Only after the final price on the new car is agreed on - then I tell them that the dealership agreed to honor the appraisal amount I have from another place on a car I decided to trade-in (and give them the contact name at his own dealership that said they would honor it).
In some states the trade-in value is subtracted off the price of the new car prior to tax being calculated so it can easily save $500 in taxes doing the trade-in option.

Another thing the salesman asks when negotiating on the new car price is if I am going to take out a loan through them. I always say maybe. The reason I do not reveal direction I will be going is that they do get some income from loans they arrange to be issued and are more eager to deal when they think they can arrange the financing.
After all prices are locked in and they ask if I want to speak with finance guy, then I tell them not interested in financing.
Ron

p.s. back at the step of negotiating the new vehicle price, if there are dealer add-ons such as: Nitrogen in the tires, deluxe floor mats, window tint, interior spray protection, tunk mat, exterior spray protection etc. (often adds $1000) I ask that those items be removed from the vehicle or if they refuse then offer them maybe $150 for that stuff.

Last edited by ron123; 09-19-2015 at 08:57 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #24
bork_bork

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 Convert Triple Black
You got a bad price but the KBB prices are way too high. I bought My car for $24K out the door and KBB said Trade in value was $27k.
bork_bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #25
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Nobody pays KBB prices for anything- that's what you use when you sell your car to try to drag the most money out of the buyer.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #26
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
The problem is that kelly is set up to be an advantage for the dealer. Their retail values generally are higher than most of the other car pricing companies. This gives the dealer a higher negotiating starting point. The trade in prices that kelly shows you are a joke. Dealers don't go by them. They go by wholesale pricing and auction pricing for trade in values. If you get kelly trade in value for your trade, most of the time it's because they got more wiggle in what you are buying. Like other have said. Dealers aren't jumping at verts in October. Except for maybe in the deep south where it stays warm. Too many people don't understand that there is a bit hit you take for buying a new car. Incentives on cars also really affect used values of the same model.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #27
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
The only way I'm willing to buy a brand new car, which is what I did with my Camaro, is to drive it until it's dead. With 15k on my 2013 vert, I would say it's going to be many, many more years until I'm looking for another car. I get the desire to upgrade but I just can't take the financial hit. I'm surprised so many are willing to do this.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote