Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Someone Keyed My Car

I go to a high school and on September 7th, 2012, someone decided they would be cool and key my car. I filed a police report did the whole thing talked to security they checked the cameras, saw no one. Bunch of bull**** I know. But from this I have 2 pretty bad scratches and one not so bad one. One on passenger door panel (the not so bad one), one on the rear passenger quarter panel right below the gas tank. And another one on the front nose piece. It's plastc. I took it to a paint shop and the only thing they could do without me having to pay to get it repainted was sand it as much as they could and polish it. It helped a little bit, but not a lot. So right before Christmas I purchased some touch up paint and touched it up a bit. Not very noticeable, but I still notice it. How can I make this become completely un-noticeable without involving insurance and without it going on the "Carfax". Can I do this myself? Please help. I have pictures before the touch up paint but there is glare. So I won't post them right now.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
only goes on carfax if the shop reports it. not all shops do.

as for fixing it, repaint and blending is the only way. if you don't want to involve insurance you are out of pocket for it.

I had my 300c vandalized, keyed the whole car multiple times, crushed my grille, and some other stuff, $12K for repairs, had to be an insurance claim.

2 days after I got the car back someone keyed the new paint, $1200 to repaint and blend it..

luckily in my case I was able to catch and prosecute the moron that did it, (same guy both times)..

good luck to you.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I'll post the absolute best how to I have ever found on this when I get back home tomorrow. However, you will have to wetsand. No way around that.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Trentin24
Trentin24

Yeah I know that. I watched Overhaulin do a 2010 Chrysler 300 and watched them wet sand with 800 grit sandpaper. Can this be done with rattlecan? I don't have a spray gun. Or even Touch up paint?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentin24 View Post
Yeah I know that. I watched Overhaulin do a 2010 Chrysler 300 and watched them wet sand with 800 grit sandpaper. Can this be done with rattlecan? I don't have a spray gun. Or even Touch up paint?
I would not recommend wetsanding without any prior experience. For fear of making your car look worse, I'd leave this one to the pros. If you don't want to go through insurance, you have to go out of pocket. Where are the scratches located? If it's multiple panels that are keyed, you might be looking at a hefty price.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Trentin24
Trentin24

Passenger door, rear passenger quarter panel, front nose bumper. Thats why I want to do it myself. But i know i shouldn't. I'm just cheap.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Passenger door, rear passenger quarter panel, front nose bumper. Thats why I want to do it myself. But i know i shouldn't. I'm just cheap.
Well if you have keyed panels there's no better time to learn because what's the worst that could happen? You might need a repaint... But you already need a repaint as it is lol

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Here you go:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...procedure.html

In a nutshell:

Before:

After:

Old 01-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Stealy Phil

Drives: 2010 Camaro Dealer Show car
I feel ya man. At least you didn't need to have any body work done. A few years ago some jerkoffs thought it would be funny to shoot my car with a BB gun in the middle of the night. Had these two highly noticeable chips in my driver door with these little dimples from the BB. Had to get the whole door repainted and blended.
Stealy Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Trentin24
Trentin24

Are you allowed to swear on this website? Because sometimes i really want to. It's just a bunch of jealous punks who don't have nice things and want to make sure no one else can. This shit didn't happen in the 60s and 70s from what my dad has told me, and if it did. There was a fight and you wouldn't be in trouble for beating the kids ass.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Are you allowed to swear on this website? Because sometimes i really want to. It's just a bunch of jealous punks who don't have nice things and want to make sure no one else can. This shit didn't happen in the 60s and 70s from what my dad has told me, and if it did. There was a fight and you wouldn't be in trouble for beating the kids ass.
Sorry to hear this man, i understand, got my camaro in high school at 16 and even though it was a private christian school nothing ever bad happened to it besides someone thinking it was a bookshelf and put a magazine on my trunk
If i had any advice it would be not to give people reasons to Eff with your car, (not saying you did) but from personal experience it will benefit you. Good luck
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
Trentin24
Trentin24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Sorry to hear this man, i understand, got my camaro in high school at 16 and even though it was a private christian school nothing ever bad happened to it besides someone thinking it was a bookshelf and put a magazine on my trunk
If i had any advice it would be not to give people reasons to Eff with your car, (not saying you did) but from personal experience it will benefit you. Good luck
Yeah i know i didn't do anything to anyone, I pretty much keep to myself and friends and thats it. I dont make enemies and get along with pretty much anyone. So they did it just to do it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
iCamaro

Drives: 2012 LT RS Camaro
Quote:
Yeah i know i didn't do anything to anyone, I pretty much keep to myself and friends and thats it. I dont make enemies and get along with pretty much anyone. So they did it just to do it.
Just the nature of the world my friend. There is an a$hole around every corner. Keep your head up and don't let it get to you too much.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
iKeablr

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2011 RS 1LT
OP I know what you feeling. I have the same issue. Somebody keyed my passenger door and rear panel. Very upsetting. I'm trying to figure an easy and cheap way without involving my insurance.

Tags
help paint, keyed car, paint, sad day