Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Tire Wear

I'm looking to upgrade from 2LT to a ???.

I was considering a 1SS/1LE, or a 2SS fully loaded. I was also considering getting the 1LE tire/wheel package on the 2SS if i went that route, but was concerned about tire wear. I know it's a softer tire, so i was wondering how they are holding up on the guys that have them. I believe they are corner specific as well, so no rotating. Is this correct?

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Yes you are correct no rotating the 1LE tires. But you cannot just order a 2SS with the 1LE tires and wheels. You only get the tires and wheels if you order the 1LE option package.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Kid

I was thinking they will probably be available through GM parts at some point. That way I could keep the original set for a more all season tire when the roads up here are covered with salt and sand. The car will be a daily driver except for bad weather.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
I am not so sure they will make them available as a single option, and if they do I dont think you will get the same value as you do from the $3500 1LE package. Other than that my tires are holding up fairly well, and I am doing a hard break-in. That being said I only have 500 miles on her so not enough miles to know yet. You could always go with a more all season tire on the wheels after replacement is needed.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
I was thinking they will probably be available through GM parts at some point. That way I could keep the original set for a more all season tire when the roads up here are covered with salt and sand. The car will be a daily driver except for bad weather.
Only problem with that is the stock SS tires are summer only and are completely useless in the snow and not for use in below 30 degree weather.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Kid

I don't plan on driving in snow or heavey rain. I have a Jeep for that. I'm thinking I can get a loaded 2SS and hit up the aftermarket for the parts needed to equal 1LE performance for about the same price as the package, minus the rear gearing. As a dailey driver and weekend auto x, I'm more concerned with handling and milage then a few 1/10th's off my time. I guess I just answered my own question

Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
I don't plan on driving in snow or heavey rain. I have a Jeep for that. I'm thinking I can get a loaded 2SS and hit up the aftermarket for the parts needed to equal 1LE performance for about the same price as the package, minus the rear gearing. As a dailey driver and weekend auto x, I'm more concerned with handling and milage then a few 1/10th's off my time. I guess I just answered my own question
The ZL1/1LE wheels are already available as an over the counter part...but you better have a lot of money saved up because even with the online parts house pricing (which is way less than dealer MSRP) you are still going to spend ~$2500 for just the wheels. Through a dealer you could expect to pay ~$900-$1000/wheel if they charge you list price. Then the tires to put on them will cost you another $1400 for a set. Then you'll have to pay mounting and balancing yet plus get TPMS sensors and lug nuts. So by the time you are all said and done you will have a $4000-$4500 wheel and tire set up. Which at this point makes the $3500 1LE package on a brand new car a killer deal for everything you get.

For those of us that could not order our cars with a 1LE package we have no other choice. But if you are going to order a new car anyhow then just get the 1LE package and save yourself the headache and money of trying to piece it together after the fact.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Kid

I knew the parts counter was a painful place to go, but

I know Factory Reproductions is working through some patent issues on their ZL1's wheels. They said the price point on the redesign would be the same, but I couldn't find the price and the site is under construction.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Nick S

Why not just get the 1LE package. Even if you get reproductions by the time you buy the wheels and buy tires to put on you are still going to be at almost the cost of the 1LE package. Plus with the 1LE pacakge you get a heavier duty drive train that will be ready to handle more power, 3.91 rear gears, different Manual trans, front splitter, better suspension, etc... You get a lot more than just wheels and tires.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Kid

I totally understand the package, I'm just trying to get the options I want while staying within a budget.
You mentioned a beefier drivetrain. I know the half shafts are stronger, but isn't the rest of the change just gearing?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo

Drives: Crystal Red 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Why not just get the 1LE package. Even if you get reproductions by the time you buy the wheels and buy tires to put on you are still going to be at almost the cost of the 1LE package. Plus with the 1LE pacakge you get a heavier duty drive train that will be ready to handle more power, 3.91 rear gears, different Manual trans, front splitter, better suspension, etc... You get a lot more than just wheels and tires.
Well said. As a 1LE owner, I was going to say how one could not replicate the car by purchasing all the parts any where near that of the initial 1LE option price. Like Nick said, order the 1LE. Also, keep in mind a fully loaded SS/RS, might cost more than my car which is a 2SS 1LE with only 2 other options...NPP, and CRT. Hope this may help in your decision.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
Nick S

I'm pretty sure the wheel bearings are upgraded as well as maybe the bearings in the differential as well. Then the transmission you get has closer gear ratio's which will help keep the car in the best RPM ranges if you ever want to take it to the track.
I'm not 100% positive but I believe you also get some upgraded bushing's in the suspension linkages over what an SS might unless they made that change across the board for all V8 cars. Also if you do end up getting a newer V8 car the dual mode exhaust is a must have option. Even if you decide you don't want some of the parts from the 1LE you could easily sell a lot of the parts to members here.
I understand the budget thing too. So I guess you'll have to make that call in the as far as what you can afford to do and not to do. Good luck with the tough decisions now!!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Kid

Right, I forgot the bearings!

Everyone, thanks for the responses! Stand by to stand by. Lol

Old 12-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
scubadoo7
Airborne Recondo

Drives: Crystal Red 2SS 1LE
"sticky" official 1LE performance package at top of 1LE section, lists all the components.