Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Question How to add a kill switch???

Hi everyone! Not sure if i posted this in the right place but has anyone added a kill switch to their camaro?? Whats the best way of doing this? How hard is it? Any link to or info on this will really help! Thanks everyone!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
ElektraSS
Elektra SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWLZ SS View Post
Hi everyone! Not sure if i posted this in the right place but has anyone added a kill switch to their camaro?? Whats the best way of doing this? How hard is it? Any link to or info on this will really help! Thanks everyone!!
It really depends where you want to install it. You don't want to give a theif easy access etc.

what type of igition do you have? If using the green/purple for ignition, then the white becomes kill if grounded, if using the white for igition, the green becomes kill at ground. Thus you take the MSD apart, run new 18gauge black wire soldered properly to the white wire inside, so everything coming out is BLACK, run that thru the firewall, under the carpet to somewhere in the car and put a nice toggle switch that will ground the connection if on. Forget under the dash, everyone looks there, try the back of the center console, side of the rear seat, back deck, where ever is not noticeable!
As for stock igition, I wouldn't kill the starter, too obvious, and too easy to jump.
You can kill the hot lead that goes to the distributor! Just solder and route it back thru the firewall, using 12-14 gauge black, thru a slightly larger switch, then back thru to the distributor. This way the thief pops the key with a dent puller, tries to start the car pumping the gas and turning the ignition, engine turns but doesn't start, he thinks its flooded and leaves! If the starter doesn't turn he knows he just needs to pop the starter with a screwdriver, where as figuring out how to wire a new hot lead for the dist is more confusing and less likely for him to think about or figure out.

My honest opinion is have it professionally installed!! I have a kill switch, wheel/glass detection, hood pins, and two alarms. one alarm is disabled if they cut the wires, the second alarm is hidden and will not disable unless I use a special key to disarm even if the wire is cut, as it is activated by battery. I also have GPS detection and can activate and disarm from my iphone. I hope this helps, as there are many ways to install and go about it. You might google it as well, but my suggestion is have it professionally done unless you are an expect with electrical.

2010 Aqua Blue, K&N CAI, RK Side skirts, hood, and spoiler. Borla Exhaust/CATS, 22 TSW Wheels, Fidanza Short Shifter and Flywheel, performance chip, Halo's. Twin Turbo in progress!
ElektraSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
BAWLZ SS

Im no expert with electrical stuff!!! My car does have lojack but still want to make it more secure! And be worry free to when i leave the car in a parking lot. Lojack sends me emails and a 2010 Camaro is the #3 most stolen car this year according to their data. I've spent alot of $ and time on my car and wouldnt want anything to happen to my baby so thats why i want to add an extra security device. How good is the factory alarm? And i do have stock ignition. So what do u recommend?... An after market alarm better with a kill switch added? Any pics of where these wire ur talking about are at? What kind of alarm if so? Thanks
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
Old 04-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Are you talking to meet NHRA/IHRA tech rules? Or a hidden anti-theft type?
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
BAWLZ SS

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Are you talking to meet NHRA/IHRA tech rules? Or a hidden anti-theft type?
Anti-theft type. Would just like to have that extra security. How difficult is it?
Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
scanparts

Drives: Camaro ZL1 2013
Send a message via Skype™ to scanparts
Bring this up again!

Anyone that have installed a hidden kill switch? Or done it in another way?
scanparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektraSS View Post
You can kill the hot lead that goes to the distributor!
I can guarantee there is no distributor, so dont look for one to tap!