Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #15
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
I understand, but my point is so does the weight of different individuals sitting in the drivers seat.
Yes, but when they set up the car, they usually do it while driving, with a driver in the seat. It's more than likely the car is set up to account for a driver but most definitely not a supercharger and assorted parts.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #16
Mwalterhouse

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3
I have enjoyed and have no regrets completing the mods on my SS however, if I were fortunate enough to have a Z28, it would remain completely stock. If any Gen5 owners will have the chance at making some money in the future, it will be the Z28 owners.
Mwalterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Yes, but when they set up the car, they usually do it while driving, with a driver in the seat. It's more than likely the car is set up to account for a driver but most definitely not a supercharger and assorted parts.
I don't think you understand what I mean, I know they set it up to account for a driver, but was it for a 150lb driver or a 300lb driver? Either way if a different person gets in the drivers seat, its going to change the ballance just as a supercharger would.

In addition if somebody is going to truly use it to its full extent as a race/track car, they are going to add a roll cage to it, again that will change the ballance. If GM did it right, they added enough adjustablilty to be able to compensate for these things and many others like different tracks etc.

Also, don't get me wrong, I have an allocation for a 2015 Z/28 and I plan to use the car, not store it away. I doubt I will get the Callaway package for the simple fact that it is not feasible for me to spend the extra 20k, but if the opportunity arrises and the company has a great year in 2014 I would not hesitate to go with one of the Callaway or Lingenfelter packages.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac

Last edited by K1SSRSS; 02-21-2014 at 05:49 PM.
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:26 PM   #18
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
I think the wicker bill might help with adjustments

Sent from a large Hammer.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #19
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
I don't think you understand what I mean, I know they set it up to account for a driver, but was it for a 150lb driver or a 300lb driver? Either way if a different person gets in the drivers seat, its going to change the ballance just as a supercharger would.

In addition if somebody is going to truly use it to its full extent as a race/track car, they are going to add a roll cage to it, again that will change the ballance. If GM did it right, they added enough adjustablilty to be able to compensate for these things and many others like different tracks etc.

Also, don't get me wrong, I have an allocation for a 2015 Z/28 and I plan to use the car, not store it away. I doubt I will get the Callaway package for the simple fact that it is not feasible for me to spend the extra 20k, but if the opportunity arrises and the company has a great year in 2014 I would not hesitate to go with one of the Callaway or Lingenfelter packages.
Do you know where the center of the car for weight is? is it closer to the driver seat or the engine, i think the drivers seat, so the farther you go away from the center the less weight you want to add further from center.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #20
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:

True but the weight of the cage or driver will be behind the front wheels as opposed to the weight if the supercharger which will be in front. That has a big impact on the way the car handles the increased weight .
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
http://www.katechengines.com/perform...-5-camaro-z28/
Stage 1
600hp*
565ft-lbs

The Vette-based Stage One costs $6,377 with Corsa exhaust, $4,110 without Corsa exhaust

Stage 2
630-660hp*
580ft-lbs

The Stage Two Vette costs $8,712 with Corsa, $6,445 without Corsa

Track Attack Camaro Z28
For off-road race vehicles or export outside of the United States only
Katech Track Attack LS7 package
The Track Attack Vette mods start at $25K

From Katech:

Development is done because it’s all the same as our LS7 Corvette packages. They can be seen here:
http://www.katechengines.com/perform...-5-camaro-z28/

For pricing, you can use our Corvette packages as a guide:
http://www.katechengines.com/perform...hicles/c6-z06/
Those should be within 10% for the Camaro.

Build times right now:
Stage 1: 2-3 weeks
Stage 3: 6 weeks
Street/Track Attack: 8-10 weeks

Best Regards,

Jason Harding
Director of Aftermarket Operations,
Katech Performance
586-791-4120 x234
katechperformance.com
Old 02-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
True but the weight of the cage or driver will be behind the front wheels as opposed to the weight if the supercharger which will be in front. That has a big impact on the way the car handles the increased weight .
I think you need to read up on what pilots learn the 1st year they go to school, and that is the utter importance of CG.

100 pounds up front, will most certainly affect the handling dymanics of the vehicle, way more, than 300 pounds right on the CG point will.

I'd love to see this Callaway hit the Nurburgring, and see what it can do, amidst all this speculation and hypothisis's.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #23
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

You can adjust the down force with the wicker bill and adjust for a weight difference. Looking at it on the pictures you can see the adjustments. Just like trimming an airplane.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #24
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
You can adjust the down force with the wicker bill and adjust for a weight difference. Looking at it on the pictures you can see the adjustments.

I'm sure you could, but it should be served to fine tune, not solve a problem, since I'm also sure that you won't feel anything from it until you are well over 80mph, if more.

Sway bar re-adjustment, and tire pressure fine tuning then the spoiler adjustments should suffice to compensate for the 'lil extra weight up front.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #25
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

I wonder if the wicker bill spoiler would help the ZL1?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #26
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
I think you need to read up on what pilots learn the 1st year they go to school, and that is the utter importance of CG.

100 pounds up front, will most certainly affect the handling dymanics of the vehicle, way more, than 300 pounds right on the CG point will.

I'd love to see this Callaway hit the Nurburgring, and see what it can do, amidst all this speculation and hypothisis's.
Isn't that what he was saying?

And you're both correct...think low and centered!
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #27
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Surprised people are surprised. A sc z was inevitable.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #28
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Surprised people are surprised. A sc z was inevitable.
I dont think any one is Surprised by the SC install, but is it smart for the car, IMO no its not, this is a car that can come it to a turn at 1.08G and come out faster, add 150LB to the front of the car and it becomes a ZL1 with better brakes.

I am not paying for a Z/28 and doing this to it, more power yes, it will like that, but NA only.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote