Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #1
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Question Twin Screw Supercharger and Gear Ratio

I have a 2SS Manual transmission on order. My intent to use a twin screw supercharger. I have spoken to Kenne Bell, Whipple, and Techo. All make systems for the LS3 Corvette and they confirmed via email and their websites that they are in the process of modifying the kit for the camaro.

I am pretty much sold on the twin screw design for the wide torque band. This vehicle will be a daily driver / project car for me. I believe the LS3 Camaro comes stock with a 3.45 gear ratio. That's pretty tall, when compared to the mustang drag pack that comes with 4.10 gears.

I have been considering either 3.73 or 3.9 for increased quickness off the line. I can't help but feel for the horsepower advantage, the camaro should have a wider margin over the mustang. The questions I have are:

1. I realize highers gear ratios = higher engine rpm.

A)Will higher gears help acceleration or will they just result in traction issues?
B) Are they feasible in conjunction with a supercharger or will the higher rpm limit total boost?
C)Will a gear change force a reflash of the computer, and how does this affect the traction and stability control?

I know kenne bell is adamant about not using other upgrades in conjunction with their systems. I know these are a lot of questions. If a member has done this with previous vehicles I would appreciate your advice. If you guys know where I can read up on this please post a link.

So far most of what I've read are on vendor's websites. Thanks for your time.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
I have a 2SS Manual transmission on order. My intent to use a twin screw supercharger. I have spoken to Kenne Bell, Whipple, and Techo. All make systems for the LS3 Corvette and they confirmed via email and their websites that they are in the process of modifying the kit for the camaro.

I am pretty much sold on the twin screw design for the wide torque band. This vehicle will be a daily driver / project car for me. I believe the LS3 Camaro comes stock with a 3.45 gear ratio. That's pretty tall, when compared to the mustang drag pack that comes with 4.10 gears.

I have been considering either 3.73 or 3.9 for increased quickness off the line. I can't help but feel for the horsepower advantage, the camaro should have a wider margin over the mustang. The questions I have are:

A)Will higher gears help acceleration or will they just result in traction issues?
B) Are they feasible in conjunction with a supercharger or will the higher rpm limit total boost?
C)Will a gear change force a reflash of the computer, and how does this affect the traction and stability control?

I know kenne bell is adamant about not using other upgrades in conjunction with their systems. I know these are a lot of questions. If a member has done this with previous vehicles I would appreciate your advice. If you guys know where I can read up on this please post a link.

This is really something you are going to have to talk with the people putting in your super charger about. Depends on how much hp/weight, tire surface area, and all kinds of stuff to determine the appropriate gearing.

I personally believe anything above 3.73 for this car stock is going to be to much. Probably be hard to get off the line without shredding your tires if it was anymore, not to mention gas millage.

Your in luck right now though because as of now no one even makes gears for the camaro.
2000 (dealer received allocation):
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production):
3300 (scheduled for prod):
3400 (broadcast):
3800 (produced):
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped):
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):

Last edited by kdoske; 06-27-2009 at 01:14 PM.
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post

FWIW, I think you should get the blower installed first, then decide after that if you want to lower your rear or not. I had 3.42 on my TA back in the day, and when I installed the 9" rear, I went with 4.11's. I wish I had the 3.42's. Now it really depends on the type of driving your planning on doing. Around town that would be fine, but if you plan on doing much freeway/interstate driving (at, cough, higher speeds for long distances ie vacations, etc), personally I'd stick with the 3.42. If you want to go to a lower gear, 3.73 is the most I'd do, but that's just me.