Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Heelhook22

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Just installed my Magnaflow 3" cat back system...first im[pressions

Hello Team,

Just installed my Maganaflow 3" catback system (Item 16483). Other than a K&N drop in filter, my car is stock and hasn't been tuned. Here are my first impressions:

1. The sound has a smooth mellow tone and doesn't sound nearly as agressive as a muffler delete. The only reason why I compare it to a muffler delete is because its the only other exhaust I have heard in person.

2. I installed the exhaust 2 days ago and it is sounding deeper and louder as I drive it more. I hear it takes a little while before the packing settles in (150-300 miles).

3. The throttle response and acceleration appears to have improved for me. The car feels less restricted than with the stock exhaust. I admit this could be just because I'm hammering the pedal more. Magnaflow still has not posted the dyno results for this system.

4. My gas mileage has gone down from 17.5 to 16.8. I commute daily to work and I typically keep the car in 6th gear while cruising at 70-75mph.

5. I notice my cruise control is having just little trouble keeping steady now. That is, if I set it at 75mph, it sometimes wavers back and forth from 75-76mph.

Honestly, if you are looking for an agressive sound, I don't think you're gonna get it from this system. While my new system does sound better than my stock system, IMHO (very humble), the muffler delete sounds like what a camaro should sound like. I got my system at a price I could not pass up. If not for the excellent price i think I would have been very happy with the muffler delete.

I do have a question though, does anyone think I actually lost hp over the stock system?

Cheers,

Heelhook
Heelhook22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I wouldn't think you lost HP at all.

It's been said before that the Magnaflow systems with the street series style mufflers are pretty quiet without headers. I would suggest saving up and adding some ARH or KOOKS to your setup. Once you do that I would bet you'll be pretty happy with your system. Plus you'll probably pick up 25 rwhp and more like 40 rwhp with a tune.

This is the reason why I'm going the muffler delete route until I can save up enough to do the whole Header/Exhaust/Tune package.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I put on the same system with the X pipe (16483). The system got louder and louder. I am scared that when I do put headers it will be too loud. I love the sound right now.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Slim2SS
Black Thunder

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I just put on the same system with Kooks Headers and high flow cats. It is not as loud as I thought it would be. Couldnt imagine being happy with it with out the headers.
Slim2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
AntzV

Drives: blacked out 2010 Camaro
So I'm guessing you got the street series? Cause isn't the comp series a lil louder, almost like a muffler delete?
AntzV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim2SS View Post
I just put on the same system with Kooks Headers and high flow cats. It is not as loud as I thought it would be. Couldnt imagine being happy with it with out the headers.

The Magnaflow systems are pretty quiet (both catbacks - Street and Competition).
They absolutely need Long tube headers to go with them. Without Longtubes the Magnaflow catbacks are too quiet.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntzV View Post
So I'm guessing you got the street series? Cause isn't the comp series a lil louder, almost like a muffler delete?
The 2.5" systems come in what they call the Street or Comp series. The Street series has the resonated x-pipe (looks like a muffler but has an x-pipe inside) and a pair of mufflers where the factory mufflers are. The Comp series has the resonated x-pipe and that's it....no mufflers.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=126
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=125

Now on the 3" systems they only have what they call the Comp series. This system has a Tru-X pipe along with a pair of mufflers in the same place as the factory system.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=124

The #16483 is the 3" Comp series and effectively has a pair of mufflers similar to what is found on the 2.5" Street series. I believe they are using the word Comp on the 3" system due to the use of the Tru-X pipe.

The OP is talking about the 3" Comp series which has the mufflers.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
if your stock you did lose some horsepower, you should have gone with the 2.5" system for a gain. the 3" system is for the guys making over 500 hp. put a good cai on it and have it tuned to get it back and a little extra, even though you would gain more with the 2.5" set up.
the blue ss in the clips is mine, before the maggie tvs. when i got the car back from magnaflow it seem a little to quiet, but it got a little louder as i put some miles on it, then i added the maggie, slightly louder, then i added a set of dynatech's long tubes and high flow cats and wow, it's like it all fell into place,classic muscle car sound. it sounds great.
urr2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
one thing i forgot to mention, the quality and fit/finish of the magnaflow system is awesome. with ongoing mods i've needed to take it off and on and it's so nice to work with. overall i'm extremely happy with it. i hope you are as well.
urr2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Heelhook22

I've noticed my car is sounding deeper and louder as I drive it more. Even when I start it up at idle its getting incredibly loud. I guess the packing really needs to settle in to sound right. As I drove away from my friend's house she texted me a minute later "I can still hear that monster!"

Many people have said you loose power installing this 3" system without tuning and any other mods. Is this perhaps why there is no dyno sheet available on Magnaflows website for this exhaust in particular (16483)? I called Magnaflow before I ordered the exhaust and they said that tuning was not required if I was to install this exhaust.

That said, it is my full intention to get headers, a CAI, followed by a tune for the win. Iv'e read so much on this topic, but I'm gonna ask anyway. Given the 16483 cat back exhaust I have, what do you folks reccomend for the headers and CAI?

Also, what do most folks mpg look like after their exhaust, header, CAI, and tune is all done?

Many many thanks,

Heelhook
Old 01-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I have the same exhaust as you. I have the ADM street CAI. It is a very nice CAI, fit and finish is top notch. I want go with LT headers but have not decided which ones just yet.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
AntzV

Drives: blacked out 2010 Camaro
I just ordered the Magnaflow axle back Comp series with an X-pipe , you think I need a CAI to go with this set up??
AntzV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
Heelhook22

Ok dumb question. If I didn't want to mess with my cat back exhaust system, does this mean I would only be able to go with shorty headers?

Many thanks,

Heelhook
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I think you might have to trim the front part where it hooks into the cats but it shouldn't be anything drastic. I would ask Andy at ADM Performance. I've been watching thier latest 427 build and in his latest post he refered to installing cats with LT headers. I'm sure he can answer any questions you may have.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote