Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Nique303

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Question TURBO FAB

Hello im new to this very very addicting forum haha

Just had question on a turbo set up I see that sts has come out with a turbo for the v6 that cost around $5000 just wondering is it possible to fab your own turbo set up? From what sts lists in there kit is basically standard stuff that you could buy off eBay for way less money looks like the only thing that would be kinda of a pain is to fab all the piping and running oil lines / oh and looks like you would not get the tune but taking it for a dyno run could dial in everything right?
Nique303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Yes it can be done on your own. Heres a link to my thread with a twin turbo kit I custom built: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133098. Also read gretchens threads. If you are truely interested I can PM you a fully detailed parts list that cost me only $3800 in parts including trifecta tune but can cost up to mid 5k if better turbos and wastegates are used.
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Nique303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Yes it can be done on your own. Heres a link to my thread with a twin turbo kit I custom built: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133098. Also read gretchens threads. If you are truely interested I can PM you a fully detailed parts list that cost me only $3800 in parts including trifecta tune but can cost up to mid 5k if better turbos and wastegates are used.
Pmd you ^^^^
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
AftershocK

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro LT/RS
can you PM me with those details Nique303? Thanks
AftershocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Nique303

Quote:
Originally Posted by AftershocK View Post
can you PM me with those details Nique303? Thanks
Will do once I get info From killa
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Amenti

Drives: 2017 1SS Convertible
personally, I wanna know how PT got his mount fabricated for his supercharger project =)

Appearance Mods: RiderGraphix LS7 Front Fascia Blackout Vinyl, Gill Insert Vinyl, Rear Deck Lid Vinyl (Gloss Black), Gary's Customs Painted Bowties

Coming Soon: BMR Trailing Arms
Amenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenti View Post
personally, I wanna know how PT got his mount fabricated for his supercharger project =)
Sweat and tears and a bruised shoulder. jk

I made a cardboard template and then went to my local metal supply, bought 1/4in thick aluminum sheet and used a jigsaw, sawzall, and angle grinder to shape it. After that used a drill press to drill the holes. Didn't take too long to make the bracket. What took long was lining the blower pulley up with the drive pulley and cutting the posts and finding the right lenght bolts for the idler and tensioner pulleys.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
When you buy a turbo kit of the shelf your paying for R and D (research and development) everything gets thrown into CAD and they basically design a kit in a computer before it even hits the car. Then mock up, testing, and tuning ext ext ext.

Can you fab your own turbo kit up.... Sure... If you have the equipment, know how and time then go for it.

When you look at cost it seems like it is easier just to buy and bundle parts. However there is allot of trial and error that goes along with that and you can end up spending more then it would have cost you to get a off the shelf kit just from making some simple mistake or miscalculations during the build.

and in your first post you mentioned Ebay. Nothing bad on Ebay but I think you might have found some turbos for cheap and maybe thats what sparked all of this in the first place? Ebay turbos, if your thinking about them, are replica of companies like Garret and Borg Warner... all great companies but what you got to remember is in order to cut prices down to like $5--.00 for a gt 35r variant something had to be sacrificed. Most of the time that is materials used to make the turbo. For example a big problem with the EBAY/"CHINA" turbos is ball bearing seizing and the hot side flanges cracking.

Now some argue that they make great power, like there original counter part... however its how long they will last making that power. Some also say with the price hell ill just pick up a new set after they blow and still be cheaper then if got a brand name turbo. I dont know that just seems sketch to me. this also is the same for Boost controllers waist gates ext ext.

so that my two cent haha. If you do it remember to take you time, and use quality parts! GOOD LUCK!
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock427 View Post
When you look at cost it seems like it is easier just to buy and bundle parts. However there is allot of trial and error that goes along with that and you can end up spending more then it would have cost you to get a off the shelf kit just from making some simple mistake or miscalculations during the build.
Very True! I've probably spent enough to buy the base STS kit already but now that I've already invested my time and money for majority of the kit others can now build their own without much of their own R and D. Also, for less than 6k, one could use name brand parts. However, for the extra 2-4k you could have a garuanteed working bolt-on system. I'll agree with BigBlock and say if you have the extra money buy the kit from a vendor but if your strapped for cash build it yerself since the cost could be incurred overtime by slowly purchasing the parts needed!