Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
kingspud
Big block chevy man

Drives: 70' Big block 402 Chevy C-10
I need help

I need someone to really listen to this, consider it, and put it in the hands of someone who can do something about it.

I am a huge fan of Chevy. Your company has been building some of the finest American cars in the world and in 2010 you produced my dream car - the Chevy Camaro. As such a fan I have supported the brand name at every opportunity against Chrysler and ford fans alike. That said, the company is losing my support. I am not as much of a fan as I used to be because the company is not utilizing the name it has built for itself. No matter who you talk to the Corvette is a machine to be respected on the street, a bargain at twice the price, and an engineering marvel. I've been paying attention to GM and the adds that have been hitting the radio and television and they are nothing like the Chevy I know and love. These commercials brag about the mediocre (at best) gas mileage of the Malibu, the technological advances of the volt, and the cruze.

Here is some hard love for GM - those cars are absolute shit. The last economy car I'd ever buy is a Chevy and GM sucks at building them. Leave that crap to Honda, Toyota and Ford. Yes, I know I am talking about giving up a massive chunk of the market. Grow some balls and make a real marketing move. Instead of spending millions on engineering stupid low margin white noise cars like those GM has been promoting why not create the world’s most kick ass motor ever that will live up to the legend of the 1955 Chevy small block. Why not make the SSX available on the US market. Why not make a vehicle that lives up to its heritage like the new camaro, corvette, and gto do? I'm not talking about just hot rods either. I'm talking about trucks. I have a legend in my barn at home. It’s the 1970 Custom10 two wheel drive truck with a 402 cubic inch big block. Its built like a rock and there’s nothing on the road as tough as it is. My dad drove it every day of his life I can recall and loved it. In the world I grew up in, Chevy really was the heartbeat of America. Now what are you? Another Toyota wannabe? Look back to the time when you were a kid and saw your first drag race, or watched your dad working in the shop with the latest GM performance part. I'm pretty sure if the kid versions of us were around they would have kicked our asses for how the GM name has been treated. From the shitty look alike cars to the blatant deception of paying off one government loan with another government loan and telling the public you had paid them back the company is falling into shame.

Please give me some hope. Please be the American brand name I was once proud of. Make the greatest cars and engines known to man and leave the other stuff to those who are short sighted enough to do it. Produce and sell the Camaro SSX as a street legal full on race car. Live up to your legacy.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Well... that's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
B2E2RUN
Beer Run

Drives: '14 Sierra SLT All-Terrain
Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Mcameron

Drives: 2000 LS2 Saturn
Chevy made the camaro... that's all I needed to give them my respect.

You
Mcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Do you remember the Vega?
No emotion in your letter. The market is what is driving GM. They are trying their hardest to capture the market by emulating what IS done right by Toyota, Ford, Honda. If you take all the cars on the road do you know which one is really doing the best and you don't hear much about it? VW!

I agree with your muscle car and engine request but...that is a limited market. The news reported yesterday that after a 10 year lull people are ready to open up their purse strings and start buying cars again. It is a cycle...based on the average "Joe" commuter who needs a quality car for transportation...not MUSCLE. I think the Volt may be another Vega inasmuch as battery storage is and has always been (100 years worth of trying) the key to an electric vehicle. Of course Volt is the glimmering hope of GREEN for GM both green in environment and green in pocket book. But...there is nothing cheaper than fossil fuel to produce energy for a car. You still need to burn dinosaurs in order to generate electricity (sans nuclear).

The Camaro came at the right time just as Gen 1 did during the Vietnam war. That car bolstered the spirits of America just as this Gen 5 is doing for a downtrodden economy and sluggish car sales. I told a friend 2 years ago that the Camaro would help resurrect Chevy and GM and he poo-pooed me. He is eating his words now. But Chevrolet has to back up the success of the Camaro with other lines that are not just MUSCLE. That we can all agree on. Long live the King!

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
A myopic view of a world and a time that no longer exists.

You are right about one thing, you do need help.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
A full on race car is a couple hundred grand, for starters. And they would be horrible to drive on the street. Plus GM doesn't build race cars. Race car builders, like Pratt and Miller build race cars. Same with Ford, Chrysler...

So if you want a street legal full on race car... pick up a Camaro at your local dealer. Ship it to Pratt and Miller with a check for a couple hundred grand. Bring it back home and slap your plate on it.

Not much market for that, so zero chance in GM meeting your request.

If you really want a race car and have the funding, there is nothing stopping you from buying one. But I doubt many have that kind of money laying around, or realize what driving a race car on the street would be like.

The SSX is a concept car. Enjoy the concept, then come back to reality.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Dans2SSCamaro

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS
I'm very happy with the products that GM is producing. The malibu is a great family car. They have to have market share to survive, that's why they manufacture other types and models. Not everyone can afford or even needs a camaro. GM is doing just fine.
Dans2SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Wolverine1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 CGM
Send a message via ICQ to Wolverine1
GM is producing some damn fine cars right now!!!
I wish more people would wake up and realize that!
Wolverine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Everyone wants to be Jerry Maguire or Bravehart, and rally the troops with an inspiring speech.

You do need help... you need a reality check.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingspud View Post
The last economy car I'd ever buy is a Chevy and GM sucks at building them. Leave that crap to Honda, Toyota and Ford. Yes, I know I am talking about giving up a massive chunk of the market.

Do you understand that GM, as a company, has to maintain specific average MPG levels in order to sell cars in the US? That means they must sell a bunch of high MPG cars for every low MPG performance car that they build. If they give up the econo car market to concentrate on high performance vehicles, they won't be allowed to sell them.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcameron View Post
Chevy made the camaro... that's all I needed to give them my respect.
+1
Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Keep in mind that car companies sell their vehicles all over the world. What the U.S. wants might not be cool elsewhere and vice versa. I do think GM is guilty of making some mediocre cars in the 80's and 90's, but most up to date reports have their quality as being pretty good.

Lastly, I think the Volt is going to surprise people. It is already winning some awards.