Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #1
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
What should I do?

Alright so I'm pretty much at a conflict here. I don't know what to do with my car next. I was hoping some of you would help me make my next plan of action. I wanted to ask here just because I like hearing input from the v6 community

Here's the deal: I currently have about 3500 if I wait 2 more months, I will have 5000. So what should I do with the money? I don't just want to spend crazily, I want to at least spend with a plan and don't have a problem sitting on the money waiting for sales and such. I'll probably spend some of it on cosmetics but would like at least a bit more performance as well.

Here's what I have so far:

Vararam
Ported Intake Manifold
Mace 25mm Insulator
Trifecta
Borla Pro-XS Axle-back
Pedders Lowering Springs
Pacesetter Headers (waiting to be installed)
Pfadt Trailing Arms (waiting to be installed)
Pfadt Tie Rods (waiting to be installed)

Here's my problem:

I currently run 14.1 in the 1/4 mile with a 2.2 60'. I definitely want to be able to break 13s. But I also have the itch to attempt road racing. First and foremost, this car is a daily driver so I don't want to push the car so much that I will sacrifice that.

First decision I have to make:
1. Go with a set of drag radials that I can get a hold of for about 600
2. Go with a better set of street tires that will give better traction than the stock bf goodrich's I have right now.

Going with #2 will allow me to also have better tires in case I do road racing but don't know if that's the best option since I mostly drag race.

Second decision I have to make:
1. Get nitrous put in
2. Or not

P.S. I do know nitrous would be a drag racing only application and I'm perfectly fine with that since I do drag racing mostly.

Third decision I have to make (and probably the most controversial):
1. Try an IPF tune
2. Keep my Trifecta

Fourth decision I have to make:
Since I'm thinking about doing road racing, I know I should invest in better suspension but is upgrading to Pedders ZL1 Spec Sways also worth it on a daily driver (reason I ask is because the price is about 900 since I have to do the LCA swap too). Reason I'm only considering Pedders isn't because I'm partial to them but because they have the only ZL1 Sway option that will work with the v6 brakes.

Another reason I'm only really considering doing road racing is because I'd imagine that to road race I'd need way better brakes. For that, I'd do a brembo swap but to do that, I'd have to replace my wheels as well since they won't clear the 1LT wheels. If someone has done road racing on v6 brakes, please tell me what you upgraded to do so.

If anyone else has any other ideas PLEASE don't hesitate to throw your idea in. I'd like to toss ideas around to see what I can do. So what would you guys do?

Sorry for the really long post btw!

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
you'll be in the 13's once you put those headers on.

I say go with a set of drag radials.

only because nitrous is pretty cheap, but super fun and makes you pretty damn fast, GET NITROUS.

I am leaning towards IPF myself.

as for road racing, and getting your car up to par, I would go as you are. Test out how you like it, before spending big money on it. If it's only a once in a while thing, I wouldn't spend too much money on parts. I guess what i'm saying is, if you aren't trying to be competitive, I don't see the need to over spend.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Netraa

Drives: 2014 2ss/rs
If you can do the work yourself I'd vote for:
drag radials. 600
a kit spray 1000

then in 2 months spend the rest on

V8 Dif swap axle, and hubs and brakes 2000-3000

and are you talking real road course racing, or are you talking parking lot autox?
Netraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
OP, I think having this money to put towards mods is stressing you out.

As a medical professional, I'd recommend decreasing that stress level by sending me the $3500.

In all seriousness, though, you have mods waiting to be installed that may satisfy your wish. Maybe make your decision about your next mods after you see how your current, uninstalled mods affect your car's performance?
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Tracy, which bolt ons does he have to get those times? I'm assuming drag radials, too?
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Go with a set of 20" street rims that are light weight and look crazy. If I was in your position, I'd be eyeing up the SLP rims if I had the money to burn and wanted out of the stock LS rims (if that's what you got).

Don't forget to equip the rims with some grippy tires. If your not sure whats good, you cant go wrong with the P-Zeros are cars naturally come with.

EDIT: I somehow just read through googling that you had a set of SLPs but were interested in selling them last year, what happened with those rims?

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
you'll be in the 13's once you put those headers on.

I say go with a set of drag radials.

only because nitrous is pretty cheap, but super fun and makes you pretty damn fast, GET NITROUS.

I am leaning towards IPF myself.

as for road racing, and getting your car up to par, I would go as you are. Test out how you like it, before spending big money on it. If it's only a once in a while thing, I wouldn't spend too much money on parts. I guess what i'm saying is, if you aren't trying to be competitive, I don't see the need to over spend.
Yea, I know I'll be in 13s once I mount the headers. But in drag racing, I won't be satisfied with that
I'll just want more and more.

As you already know, I'm highly considering nitrous

I want to at least try the IPF tune and see how it compares with Trifecta. Trifecta has really left me unsatisfied. Just want to see what else is out there.

I do like the don't overspend idea. I'm not trying to be overly competitive at all. Just want my car to at least be able to make it through the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netraa View Post
If you can do the work yourself I'd vote for:
drag radials. 600
a kit spray 1000

then in 2 months spend the rest on

V8 Dif swap axle, and hubs and brakes 2000-3000

and are you talking real road course racing, or are you talking parking lot autox?
I don't think I'll be doing a v8 diff swap. Don't need it.

I'm talking real road course racing. I've never actually tried autox but the thought of racing around cones in a parking lot doesn't appeal to me right now. I'd like to take the car to an actual track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
OP, I think having this money to put towards mods is stressing you out.

As a medical professional, I'd recommend decreasing that stress level by sending me the $3500.

In all seriousness, though, you have mods waiting to be installed that may satisfy your wish. Maybe make your decision about your next mods after you see how your current, uninstalled mods affect your car's performance?
LMAO! I knew I'd get at least one response like this
Good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
We have a all bolt on customer, trifecta tune that runs low 13's. Just did 3.55 gears in his A6 open diff and he's going to see how much that picks him up in the 1/4 mile.

Not sure his username, but his Name is Aaron, and he is in Ft Meyers south of us.

Hopefully he will see this and chime in.

Are you auto or manual trans?
I'm an auto trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
Go with a set of 20" street rims that are light weight and look crazy. If I was in your position, I'd be eyeing up the SLP rims if I had the money to burn and wanted out of the stock LS rims (if that's what you got).

Don't forget to equip the rims with some grippy tires. If your not sure whats good, you cant go wrong with the P-Zeros are cars naturally come with.

EDIT: I somehow just read through googling that you had a set of SLPs but were interested in selling them last year, what happened with those rims?
I already replaced my stock LS rims. I have the stock LT rims now. Bought them because they are a crazy amount lighter than the LS wheels.

I'd really like a set of 20's for "show" but the need for more performance makes it hard for me to spend all my money on wheels that won't really net me any gains performance wise. If I get wheels, I'd probably only be either the new ZL1 replicas or some forgestar f14s.

As for the SLPs, I sold them.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Chrisco22

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
14.1, good for you. im to scared to take my car to the track lol *not to change the topic of your post*..

2011 Camaro LS: [Rally Yellow] [22" Status Rims] [BBK Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats] [Trifecta Tune] [K&N CAI] [Blacked out Bow Ties and Tail Lights] [15% Tint] [MAC Mufflers] [Rear Cat Delete] [Vmax Black Ice]
Chrisco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisco22 View Post
14.1, good for you. im to scared to take my car to the track lol *not to change the topic of your post*..
Started at a 15.2 stock so I feel like the mods have really made a difference. Some more than others but it's still an improvement. Why are you scared?

Anybody with opinions feel free to post!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #10
Chrisco22

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro LS
I just dont want to be disappointed.. Unfortunately, i never got a baseline dyno done on my car. If i could go back i wish i did before the exhaust, tune, headers, and all the other things listed in the signature. I hope im making 265-275 wheel at this point. I definitely feel faster.. but i KNOW this rims and tires, although look good and really make the car stand out, would KILL my track times.

2011 Camaro LS: [Rally Yellow] [22" Status Rims] [BBK Long Tube Headers w/ High Flow Cats] [Trifecta Tune] [K&N CAI] [Blacked out Bow Ties and Tail Lights] [15% Tint] [MAC Mufflers] [Rear Cat Delete] [Vmax Black Ice]
Chrisco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Botoasy

Drives: 2015 RRM 1LE
I must be doing something wrong, I have the mods in my sig and have a best 1/4 time of 14.1 with my A6

2010 Camaro LS: BBK Longtube Headers with Hi Flow Cats, BBK CAI, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Magnaflow X-pipe and Resonators, Ported TB, Mace Ported IM and Spacer,Trifecta Tune, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. SOLD!!!

My Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272765
Botoasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
jlawrence613

Drives: 2011 V6 Premium Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botoasy View Post
I must be doing something wrong, I have the mods in my sig and have a best 1/4 time of 14.1 with my A6
Could be a bad track where you race. DA might be horrible. Even in Florida where sea level is just about 0, the DA can get to about 2500 which kills our times. Hence my 13.8 in the sig. Granted I'm not bolted on like you, but I feel your pain.

OP, I think I read that you know you wont be satisfied with cracking 13's, but get those LT's and additional suspension on first. Watch your trap speed to see if it increases, (even if your ET doesnt right away). If you have the patience, address everything a step at a time, this way you can point out the weaknesses in your car and attack them individually. If you do everything all at once, it may be harder for you to see where to improve. For example, I dont know what "trailing arms" for you guys are... ( I guess equivalent to our lower control arms??) but that 2.2 60' can be addressed without drag radials if such a part exists on the IRS.

I run consistant 2.0x with street tires and no major power adders (LT's for example) Once my trap speed increases and if my 60' goes up as a result, I would then look at drag radials.

Just my $0.02.

To you other guys worried about being disappointed... go have fun. Don't compare yourself to anyone else and enjoy that $30,000 machine. Admit it, you bought it because it was somewhat fast. Damn sure wasnt the fuel economy. Have fun
Mods: MPT 93 Tune, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Airaid CAI, Boss 302 STB, J&M LCA, Whiteline Relocation Brackets, Eibach Sportlines, 18x9/10 2010 GT500 rims 255/45, 285/40/18 Nitto555, BBK Longtube Headers O/R X-pipe Up next: BBK 73mm TB, Ported Intake Manifold, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Mustang GT 2.75" Overaxle pipe.
2011 Ford Mustang V6: 13.258 @ 107.45 MPH Uncorrected
jlawrence613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botoasy View Post
What track to you run?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence613 View Post
Could be a bad track where you race. DA might be horrible. Even in Florida where sea level is just about 0, the DA can get to about 2500 which kills our times. Hence my 13.8 in the sig. Granted I'm not bolted on like you, but I feel your pain.

OP, I think I read that you know you wont be satisfied with cracking 13's, but get those LT's and additional suspension on first. Watch your trap speed to see if it increases, (even if your ET doesnt right away). If you have the patience, address everything a step at a time, this way you can point out the weaknesses in your car and attack them individually. If you do everything all at once, it may be harder for you to see where to improve. For example, I dont know what "trailing arms" for you guys are... ( I guess equivalent to our lower control arms??) but that 2.2 60' can be addressed without drag radials if such a part exists on the IRS.

I run consistant 2.0x with street tires and no major power adders (LT's for example) Once my trap speed increases and if my 60' goes up as a result, I would then look at drag radials.

Just my $0.02.

To you other guys worried about being disappointed... go have fun. Don't compare yourself to anyone else and enjoy that $30,000 machine. Admit it, you bought it because it was somewhat fast. Damn sure wasnt the fuel economy. Have fun
^^^This^^^

Identify the weak points and address those.