Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
DaveA

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS vert
Thanks, guys. What are you thoughts on dual performance exhaust? Does it give it some extra rumble?

Chris: Believe it or not, I'm in Canton too! I put Boston just because we are so close to it.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Well Dave, I think that means if you want to test drive a 1SS coupe with the 6 speed manual sometime, it could be arranged
Old 07-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quit recommending him a used 2SS if he clearly wants cloth and NEW.

I bought a V6, and wanted an RS. I wanted an SS too, but I thought eh...I'll just settle for the RS since it's my DD. It was everything I wanted EXCEPT a V8. No one really knew it wasn't a V8 but me. I didn't much care for the speed either, but the sound, ohh the sound...it's so much better in a V8.

I am now back in a truck (always been a truck guy) and when I was asked if I wanted the popular EcoBoost V6, I said absolutely not, give me a V8. I love hearing the sound in a truck, I can't imagine how much more fun a 6.2L would be in one of these.

Good luck in your choice. Don't compromise, you'll be so happy you waited!
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
RoadieWingZ

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 1LS
Dave ..... Think 1SS 1LE.... Can be done for the $40K you're thinking (or less per some forum members that have supposedly done so...) A 323HP V6 is no slouch, but if your heart is thinking V8, better go with it if its in your budget so no regrets later.

2013 Camaro LS
RoadieWingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Thanks, guys. What are you thoughts on dual performance exhaust? Does it give it some extra rumble?

Chris: Believe it or not, I'm in Canton too! I put Boston just because we are so close to it.
Regarding the exhaust, it really depends on whether you want to keep it stock, or if you want to get something aftermarket.

If you want to keep everything stock, I would get the dual mode.

But if you're open to the idea of an aftermarket exhaust, you can probably get a "better" sound for less money. I say better because exhaust sound is very subjective.

The mufflers on the stock SS weigh something like 30-40lbs and they're enormous. They sound pretty wussy when compared to aftermarket, or the new dual mode. I haven't heard the dual mode in person, but on YouTube it sounds pretty decent. Just my opinion.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #20
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Hey Folks,

Happy to be here.

I'm 37 years old and it has been 20 years (depressing) since my last "muscle" car. I had a nice, rebuilt Mustang in high school and loved it. After highschool I did the family thing and essentially drove beaters ever since. I was happy driving beaters, too, but now we are financially comfortable and I'm going to get my dream muscle car again. Originally it was going to Mustang but I'm not crazy about the look of the newer Mustangs and I'm too impatient to wait and see what the 50th anniversary one looks like. Regardless, I love the look of the new Camaros.

I've been approved for up to 42k through my credit union and could put some cash down too. I stopped by the dealer today and told them this is what I'm looking for:

Convertible 1SS (8 cyl)
Black exterior - no stripes
Manual transmission
Dual perf exhaust
RS package (do not 100% need)

On their site it puts it at just under $40k with cloth seats. I'm not big on leather so could care less.

What I'm looking for opinions on, guys, is if I can convince myself to go to a 6 cylinder. Initially I say hell no. This is my dream car / muscle car and I want what I want. I'm keeping a little tin can Aveo to commute in and as a spare, so gas mileage isn't a huge issue. However, I'm not going to speed in the thing. I know you are all laughing but believe me, I train truck drivers for a living and cannot afford to have a ticket, so I won't be speeding. With that being said, do I really need the 8 cylinder? I know I'll get more power and start off quicker, but what else is the 8 cylinder good for?

Anyway, I stopped by the dealership today and told them what I was looking for. They had one close to what I wanted but it was $43k. Leather seats, heated seats, and a few other things. No interest. They are doing a locate to see if they can find me a match. The guy said most of the 1SS cars are leather because if someone is paying upwards of $40k they want leather. I told him I don't. I'm pretty particular about features.

What do you guys think I have for wiggle room in negotiation on price? I've done pretty good my last few cars. And this time around I have financing so I can walk out the door pretty easily.

Thanks.

Dave
....without expending alot of rhetoric, may I suggest you do whatever is necessary to purchase a ZL1. You will be satisfied beyond measure for the rest of your life, unless you are a hard core experienced adrenaline junky and driver,... trust me when I say this car is the BEST Camaro you could ever own delivering satisfaction across all metrics beyond what any Camaro owner previously has ever experienced.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #21
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
I'll throw my hat in the ring... there are more features on a 2SS than just leather... with a stick shift, I absolutely LOVE my heads up display to keep track of my RPM's without ever taking my eyes off of traffic, and I dig the little retro gauge cluster in my console... that said, I paid 39,000 for my 2SS/RS with NPP Exhaust, Short Throw, polished wheels, stripes, embroidered center console and lighted cupholders / foot wells, so you should have ZERO problem finding a brand new one in your budget for less than mine since the lighted cupholder/footwell was $500, around $400 on the stripes, same for the wheels, $800 or so for the sunroof, etc... you get the idea. Either way, good luck in your search and as others have said, you may have to take a little drive to find exactly what you want.

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
I say its your money buy what you want, if you don't want leather then don't get it. I say order it from the factory if like what the 14's looks like if not might have to travel a bit to find exactly what you want but I doubt it black is a pretty popular color and so is rs package now you just have to find one that's not leather and a 6speed manual. And yes get the V8 over the V6 for two reasons, One it sounds better and two much more tq. off the line.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #23
DaveA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....without expending alot of rhetoric, may I suggest you do whatever is necessary to purchase a ZL1. You will be satisfied beyond measure for the rest of your life, unless you are a hard core experienced adrenaline junky and driver,... trust me when I say this car is the BEST Camaro you could ever own delivering satisfaction across all metrics beyond what any Camaro owner previously has ever experienced.
I wish. Truly. It's just way out of my price range, unfortunately.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
DaveA

Nearby dealer located one that is pretty close. It's basically: Convertible 1SS, Black exterior, cloth interior, RS package. Only thing missing is dual performance exhaust but if I can add that on later, perhaps I will. He said it was $40k and change; offered to me for $39,2. Math doesn't add up. I told him when I build it online, I can get exactly what I want (incl. dual perf exhaust) for an asking price of just under $40k. I asked him what extra it had that I didn't want. He didn't have a full list but said it had heated seats (don't care for it and don't want to pay for it).

I'm going to stop by in the morning and speak to him and see what we can do. I like to haggle and I'm in no rush. How much, realistically, can I expect to get off, though? I love throwing out the 'let me think about it' and then have them come back asking what it would take for me to buy the car today. Should be fun.

Dual perf. exhaust isn't a deal breaker, I suppose. I would just like it but can add it later. But I'm adamant about not paying extra for crap I don't need/want.

I did expand my search and found a few others nearby but black isn't as popular as I thought.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #25
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I wanted the v8 power and sound.....inferno orange with white stripes..2ss rs I could not be any happier, people are right, get what you want ...don't fall for the get the v6 and mod it stuff, get the v8 muscle that you want
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #26
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...nsTypeId=28112

This one is closer to me...........

http://jeffdeals.com/2012-Chevrolet-...-OH/vd/9606160

Last edited by LStick; 07-27-2013 at 12:27 AM.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #27
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Get the 2SS/RS with leather. You won't regret getting the V8 and all the nicer features. Treat yourself.
Attached Images

SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #28
Bowtiepower00

Drives: Previous Camaros: 69, 89, 11, 13
The V6 is a great engine, but its not "Dream Car" material. For a 1LS daily driver, it's fine. For the 'Vert you've always wanted, get the V8 so that you don't have that tiny bit of regret every time you drive it. Before you purchase locally, talk to Becky on here or look around a bit at some other dealers before you pull the trigger to find the best deal.
Bowtiepower00 is offline   Reply With Quote