Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis SS View Post
I'm having the same problem with my SS. I just installed a full kooks exhaust system and it drones. I hope the trunk sound deadening works. Im going to go that route if it works for you.
I pretty much finished the sound deadening mats today, but I'm putting sound absorbing foam on top of that tomorrow, it got too cold to continue today. I dont expect it to fully kill the problem but it should help and make my sound system better, which is why I started in the first place. I'm waiting for "Mach" to do his Helmoltz pipe. That's the solution I've got my money on. If you'd like to do the sound deadening though, I'd recommend using RaamAudio.com. I bought FatMat before I heard about them. I got the peel and stick foam from Raam. If I would've known, I wouldve just dealt with them.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #30
Saint Alban

I finished the sound dampening over the weekend, but haven't driven much since then due to all the rain we've been having. I drove it a little after I was finished though and it seems like it helped some. Not by a huge noticeable difference. If you're gonna sound dampen for exhaust drone, I'd say you'd have to get your entire car done (i only did from the back seats to the trunk) to see a drastic change. Maybe i didnt use the best material though. Seems to me you'd have to dampen so much that there is no longer any outside noise whatsoever coming into the cabin. Ive seen a thread where this has been done (i think its titled "a little bump in my trunk"). So you'd have to do a lot more than what I did, which could get expensive. Again, it's not so much the sound, but the vibration the drone makes at the frequency it's in. The helmholtz pipe should cancel out that frequency. Gonna do that once I get confirmation that it worked.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #31
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
How much weight do you think you added to the car?
Old 11-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #32
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Here is the MRT 2.0 culprit...

This is at around 2150 RPM at 75 MPH on the highway tonight. 28 inch helmholz pipes will solve the 120HZ 83DB drone. I already got my pipes...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390364088873...S:1123&vxp=mtr

I ordered three of these. I will be installing these sometime next week. Stay tuned....
Any updates ? I've already installed the fatmat but that really didn't do much .. made the stereo sound better but nothing for drone .

I'll subscribe and keep checking back .
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #33
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
How much weight do you think you added to the car?
The FatMat according to shipping confirmation was 8 lbs. The ensolite foam was 4 lbs. Plus I got more FatMat but it was thinner and a smaller amount so I'd say another 4 lbs. So 16 lbs. I believe the stock exhausts were about 35 lbs. and the MRTs are 18 all together.

-35 + 18 = -17 + 16 = -1
Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #34
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee sting View Post
Any updates ? I've already installed the fatmat but that really didn't do much .. made the stereo sound better but nothing for drone .

I'll subscribe and keep checking back .
If all goes well, Mach is supposed to be trying it today.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #35
bee sting

Maybe he'll post sometime this weekend .
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #36
Wizzer

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey
Here is my cheap o way of fixing the problem with my mrts v2

I bought some of that egg crate foam from walmart and tossed it in the trunk. I ended up buying another bag of it and doubled it down. Then as a test I stuck a few of our winter blankets we used off of our bed into the trunk. Drone cut down 50% but my wife is going nuts trying to find the blankets. It worked so well I don't want to tell her I got them. lol. I still get some coming from the back seat so I need to pull the seat and add some of the stuff you guys are talking about.

My fix makes the trunk useless but I don't carry anything in there anyhow. It doesn't weigh much either.

Not the best solution but if I ever break down I will be very warm and comfortable while I wait for the tow truck.

Wizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #37
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I guess it was'nt that bad to me.Injen, shorties and MRT V2. Key awas the resonated x pipe as I have said before, with or without the stock resonators, drone, very litttle, and more a very low performance growl, was the same as the magnaflow mufflers I had. All these exhausts will drone a bit, nature of the beast. And you dont add a bunch of wieght to the back, but the two may just do the trick.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #38
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Sorry I haven't kept you guys in the loop. Due to work and thanksgiving I wasn't able to start this helmholz thing up yet. But this Saturday I am going to my dads shop. He has a lift. I will take pictures and do a DIY. I will post my initial findings on Sat for sure!!!
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #39
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Sorry I haven't kept you guys in the loop. Due to work and thanksgiving I wasn't able to start this helmholz thing up yet. But this Saturday I am going to my dads shop. He has a lift. I will take pictures and do a DIY. I will post my initial findings on Sat for sure!!!
Looking forward to it.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #40
bee sting

Thanks for the Update !
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #41
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #42
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
Yes awesome thread. From the research I have done, the MRT2.0 eliminates the drone over the 1.0. So it's good to know there is drone to contend with.

I'm not to wise about exhausts. What's the difference between H and X pipes? Other than shape. Would one be better than the other in reducing drone. Looks like H pipes have better low end power; but appear larger and more difficult to install with limited space.

Also, is there a specific x pipe for the camaro or do people use the generic one? Where in the exhaust line does it get installed?
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote